House Price Crash Forum

French Property

The Cote d'Azur is not typical France though. It is a rich man's playground and prices reflect that. Its main advantage is the weather. Great for those that don't work to sit in the sun. The maps I have seen showing the distribution of Brits in France show they mostly prefer the Atlantic coast. The largest group was in 22, just over the channel in Brittany (not Dordogne). You can still buy a modern 4 bedroom detached there for under 100k, not much good for work though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which is?

From 1987 until 1991 French property prices exploded

The "crash" happened in 1991 the war with Irak" triggered the crash" there was lots of high risk speculation and the property market was totally out of touch with the economey

The French property market stopped over night

Between 1992 and 1997 prices in Paris fell by 40% and in Provence up to 50%

A French Bank went bankcrupt in 1995 "Pallas Stern" a high risk property investor type bank

The director of this bank was taken to court in 2007 for fraud etc

The "boom to bust" French housing "bubble" of the 1990's

It could happen again ;)

I thought this was particularly funny as the page had a job offer on it - shop assistant at Lidl :D

+1 its the same here in the Jura the only jobs seem to be shop assistants at Lidl or Aldi although i don't know how with a part-time job a the local Lidl you can afford to buy a house here with prices over 200000 euros :lol:

I thought this was particularly funny as the page had a job offer on it - shop assistant at Lidl :D

Ps What i thought was really funny in the article was that property sales in 2009 were down by 30% and that the English and Irish buyers had vanished due to the strong euro v the pound

Even the so called "save the French housing market Russian buyers have gone"

Now it is the turn of the Scandinavian buyers to save us amazing :lol:

Agentimmo - do you reckon that 25% is equally applicable to land ? I'll be back down that area (Frejus) last week of August and am definitely interested in buying some land at some point in the future, maybe 10-20 minutes or so inland. Wonder whether its worth making some first contacts with agents ?

Be very, very careful with land. There are a lot of pitfalls with planning permission. My wife used to be the Judge in charge of the planning cases for one of the regions in France and the number of foreigners who had got mugged was astounding. My eyes popped at some of the dossiers.

Cannes, yeah 100 meters from the Croisette is ok but go further back and the town full of Serbian mafia and Russian hookers, it is a bit like Brighton Rock... without the Rock.

+1 its the same here in the Jura the only jobs seem to be shop assistants at Lidl or Aldi although i don't know how with a part-time job a the local Lidl you can afford to buy a house here with prices over 200000 euros :lol:

if you are in the Genevois hinterland you would surely pay more than that. Saw a charming place behind the Kyriad in St Genis the other day on the market. The house wasn't bad but just opposite was a HLM full of Portuguese chavs who spent the whole night throwing petards out of their top floor balcony and letting out high pitched farts.

The whole "strip" on the road in from Gex is very unappealing, like some USA ribbon development. Sorry, I know you like St Genis and the pub in the town sq. looks ok. Still I guess it beats getting knifed in Ferney.

Be very, very careful with land. There are a lot of pitfalls with planning permission. My wife used to be the Judge in charge of the planning cases for one of the regions in France and the number of foreigners who had got mugged was astounding. My eyes popped at some of the dossiers.

Cannes, yeah 100 meters from the Croisette is ok but go further back and the town full of Serbian mafia and Russian hookers, it is a bit like Brighton Rock... without the Rock.

Agree. For Planning Permission etc, best to employ a local lawyer or notaire who can guide you. If in doubt, ask at your local bank branch if they have a recommended list. Don't just look at the Pages Jaunes and pick the first that has a nice ad ;)

As for Cannes, I'm heading there tonight. The only people who dabble with the hookers (russian and albanians seem to be this year's favourites :rolleyes: ) are the toffs at conferences and rich old English lords (cf. Shaftsbury).

I should be fine just ogling at the ladies on the promenade as I sit sipping my beer on the waterfront :lol:

Thanks Agentimmo - I've no worries about getting ripped off.... I already live in France and have a French wife so we're OK with the system.

Just looking for a little local knowledge of the CdA area.... I'm only using seloger at the moment to do some initial remote prospecting.... there appears to be land available around Plan de la Tour which looked a nice area when we visited (briefly) earlier this year, rural(ish) but not too far from the coast. Any areas you'd consider looking at ? Preferrably would like a "real" town/village not too far inland.

As for Cannes, I'm heading there tonight. The only people who dabble with the hookers (russian and albanians seem to be this year's favourites :rolleyes: ) are the toffs at conferences and rich old English lords (cf. Shaftsbury).

I should be fine just ogling at the ladies on the promenade as I sit sipping my beer on the waterfront :lol:

I will give you a shout next time I'm down your way; we have the use of an apartment close to the conference center.

if you are in the Genevois hinterland you would surely pay more than that. Saw a charming place behind the Kyriad in St Genis the other day on the market. The house wasn't bad but just opposite was a HLM full of Portuguese chavs who spent the whole night throwing petards out of their top floor balcony and letting out high pitched farts.

The whole "strip" on the road in from Gex is very unappealing, like some USA ribbon development. Sorry, I know you like St Genis and the pub in the town sq. looks ok. Still I guess it beats getting knifed in Ferney.

I don't live in Pays de Gex but i do live in the same departement l'Ain

Its always been a difficult place to get to either by taking the "Col de la Facucille"or that bloody awful traffic jam road between Bellegarde and Fort de l'Ecluse

You are right it is a strip but its natural geography makes it so as well

True there are lots of Portugese there they are the highest immigrant group there

You were lucky not to of been there when they beat England in the last World Cup

They were driving around drunk 10 in a car waving flags and beeping on there car horn like madmen

Its always been a difficult place to get to either by taking the "Col de la Facucille"or that bloody awful traffic jam road between Bellegarde and Fort de l'Ecluse

le col de la Faucille

n'est pas trop facille

faut etre debille

risque de partir en vrille

i Still I guess it beats getting knifed in Ferney.

Judging by what i read in the "Tribune de Geneve" things seem to be far worse in Geneva than Ferney Voltaire

Yesterday there was an armed robbery at jewellers "Chatila"

Todays headlines "Murder in an English garden" a 19 year old drunken murderer

Not forgetting all the daily drug stories that you seem to read about just about everyday there

Judging by what i read in the "Tribune de Geneve" things seem to be far worse in Geneva than Ferney Voltaire

Yesterday there was an armed robbery at jewellers "Chatila"

Todays headlines "Murder in an English garden" a 19 year old drunken murderer

Not forgetting all the daily drug stories that you seem to read about just about everyday there

I normally read 20 minutes and it sounds terrible. I went to draw out some dosh from the bank on the av. du Mont Blanc on Monday, which apparently is a "no go zone"and they said they didn't know anything about the problems. Apparently the people in the Paquis live in fear of their lives with crise of "salop"and "sale pute" between the "working girls"all hours of the night.

There is a drug problem fer shure. Lots of dealers by the Jet d'Eau if you ever want to score some okey doke.

A store security guy was killed in Ferney a few months back though and they have a problem with crowd sourcing (a huge crowd of kids will descend on a shop stripping it bare, like locusts).

Edited by davidg

where i live the dept 01 ain they are building a new tgv line to geneva

2015. Another of those "I will believe it when I see it" projects like the Lyon Turin link. The SNCF has severe financial constraints. They are cancelling services all over the place at the moment.

However there is some engineering work on the line down to Lyon this summer but honestly if you use the line you will know that it is never going to be high speed without some major tunneling work. The line follows a twisting valley floor by the Rhone and TGVs have trouble making it around the corners. They would do better to invest in some Italian Pendelino's for the route rather than Alsthom TGVs but I would be surprised if they ever get more than 160km/h.

Still I take the train to Berne now than then and even the Milka cows move faster so I guess it all seems very racy to the slow witted Swiss. I thought Berne must be bizzilions of miles away from Geneva then one day I missed the train and had to take my car and did it in half the time. Arrived an hour early for my meeting.

There is a drug problem fer shure. Lots of dealers by the Jet d'Eau if you ever want to score some okey doke.

Sorry mate i do not use drugs all drug dealing etc brings nothing more than hardship pain and broken lives to people especially to young people (the drug dealers target group ) a good reason to stay away from the Jet d'Eau or the Geneva fountain

Anyway going back to French Property there is an article in todays Figaro

Les maisons à 15 euros par jour touchés par la crise

The 15 euros a day house hit by the crisis

http://www.le figaro.fr/

Thanks Agentimmo - I've no worries about getting ripped off.... I already live in France and have a French wife so we're OK with the system.

Just looking for a little local knowledge of the CdA area.... I'm only using seloger at the moment to do some initial remote prospecting.... there appears to be land available around Plan de la Tour which looked a nice area when we visited (briefly) earlier this year, rural(ish) but not too far from the coast. Any areas you'd consider looking at ? Preferrably would like a "real" town/village not too far inland.

Check out www.pap.fr to see what locals are selling their land for.

I'm not too well read up on land prices, but saw a plot for sale last week. 30mins from Nice, up in the mountains. which probably means its 1 hr from Nice. ;) anyway, the land was 3ha and non-constructible. Price was 5€ the square metre but negiotable. It had a 50 square metre chalet thrown in. Cheap if you want a bolt hole, but nothing else.

There's a couple of plots near me in Antibes, about 1500 square metres, with planning for 250m house, selling at 450K€. But that was 2yrs ago. Still no buyers. Possibly try pitching at 1/2 the price to see if they are interested? I could send you some details if you like? Not sure you are looking at the Antibes area though ? :unsure:

Thanks Agentimmo.... not sure of the area yet, will look around next week, but this would be for holidays and eventually somewhere to retire to, so I'm thinking 30 ares plus, hence the likelihood that it would have to be inland.

From what I've seen on SeLoger, land has been going unsold for long periods so I think you may be right, start at 50% off and work up, I don't really want to spend much more than 200k euros.

There's a couple of plots near me in Antibes, about 1500 square metres, with planning for 250m house, selling at 450K€.

Raises eyebrows in disbelief. I guess some folks never know when something is overpriced like the property investors in 2007. I am close to the channel ports. But have recently bought a modern 4 bed detached on a 12,000 square meter flat plot (yes thousand). Move right in, does not even need redecoration, for €100k. No crime where I am, everybody is nice and civil. It seems you lot down there with your pushers and your pimps are just selling overpriced houses to each other. Anyone paying the prices will get burned when it moves into line with the rest of France. It is simply not an investment, you make money buying low and selling high not the other way around. Up here €450k would buy you a château in its own country park. You need to get out of that area and see the real French prices.

Raises eyebrows in disbelief. I guess some folks never know when something is overpriced like the property investors in 2007. I am close to the channel ports. But have recently bought a modern 4 bed detached on a 12,000 square meter flat plot (yes thousand). Move right in, does not even need redecoration, for €100k. No crime where I am, everybody is nice and civil. It seems you lot down there with your pushers and your pimps are just selling overpriced houses to each other. Anyone paying the prices will get burned when it moves into line with the rest of France. It is simply not an investment, you make money buying low and selling high not the other way around. Up here €450k would buy you a château in its own country park. You need to get out of that area and see the real French prices.

Its not quite that simple. The south will always be worth lots more due to weather, history, fashion and facilities etc especially with non Brit buyers. Also lots of people (myself included) have already owned very large houses once and now see them as liabilites due to maintenance, utilities etc.

I have to agree.... no disrespect but if I wanted to live in an area with a climate like NW France I'd live in NW England.

The prices in Antibes for land are no more expensive than the area I live in, they are well overpriced in both however, but there are loads of reasons, mostly obvious, why they'll always be significantly more expensive than the Pas de Calais.

2015. Another of those "I will believe it when I see it" projects like the Lyon Turin link.

Well I did see some significant progress down at Bellegarde today so maybe it will be in by 2012, Redwine do you know what route it will take through the Jura/Bugey?

* My neighbours ask me "why do most of the English buy houses where they get the same weather as UK ?" They are referring to the Atlantic and Channel coasts, Dordogne, etc.

* Annual sunshine hours for French towns

* I wonder why all those deluded people in Hampstead do not sell up and move to Morecambe.

* Property is only cheap because there are not enough buyers. Ask yourself why your property was cheap.

Peter

Edited by mpprh

The whole of France is more southerly than the UK and thus has slightly better weather. Being further from the gulf stream also means slightly less cloud and rain. The advantage of the Atlantic coast is that there are no temperature extremes. The winters are milder and the summers less hot. I have no desire to bake in the summer and freeze in the winter. The plentiful rainfall means the landscape remains green like an English summer, not the parched brown look of the south. Thus it is not too hot to work in the garden and there is no need to grow cactii. I do not like the oppressive heat over 25C. If I wanted such heat I would move to Spain where it far cheaper. Most English move to the Atlantic coast simply because it they do not like extremes of weather and they like greenery. The latitude they choose depends on what temperatures they want. For others it is access to the UK that matters. Being an hours drive from a ferry port or a £1, 1 hour flight makes travel to and forth to see family easy.

My move was not inspired by love of France, or seeking the sun. It was far more basic, either the property described or the worst flat in the worst sink estate in London and still have a mortgage. Which would you choose to live in? Which environment is better to bring up your kids? Foolish millionaires with too little to do and too much money outbidding each other for the highest status house. I see it like overpriced Sandbanks in the UK even though it is exactly the same climate as Bournemouth. Yet many men are pushed by forces of necessity not status games.