House Price Crash Forum
dude wheres my house

If The Boe Start To Finance Mortgages

Been waiting for about 2 years now for the housing price crash to happen and taken the abuse that went along with this controversial view. Now that it is all kicking off and it looks like one day i will be able to buy a house, it now looks like the govt are going to step in and mess about with the market. Basically scr&wing me over again.

At the moment i am paying

lots of tax, (income, VAT, Car Tax, Petrol Tax, Paying for Passports, Driving Licences, Council Tax, etc)

lots of national insurance (not sure why this isnt just added into tax)

and lots of student loan payments

I am also paying for

A Pension (since there is Hee Haw chance of me getting one from the govt)

and Private Health Care

after all this is deducted, i try to have a life and save up, as i can for a deposit

Now they are wanting ME to pay to support the market that is pricing me out!!!!

I know there are swear word restrictions on this site so you will have to think about this to work it out

F*** O**

in fact F*** Right O**

And also for any journalists on this site, i dont think it would be a disaster if the market overshoots on the way down, in fact i think it would be WONDERFUL.

If i am going to be kicked everytime i try to do well for myself i am going to stop trying in this country and go else where. When was the last time that ANY political party did anything to help someone like me. Young, Single, Educated and working.

Been waiting for about 2 years now for the housing price crash to happen and taken the abuse that went along with this controversial view. Now that it is all kicking off and it looks like one day i will be able to buy a house, it now looks like the govt are going to step in and mess about with the market. Basically scr&wing me over again.

lots of tax, (income, VAT, Car Tax, Petrol Tax, Paying for Passports, Driving Licences, Council Tax, etc)

I am also paying for

and Private Health Care

after all this is deducted, i try to have a life and save up, as i can for a deposit

I know there are swear word restrictions on this site so you will have to think about this to work it out

F*** O**

in fact F*** Right O**

And also for any journalists on this site, i dont think it would be a disaster if the market overshoots on the way down, in fact i think it would be WONDERFUL.

If i am going to be kicked everytime i try to do well for myself i am going to stop trying in this country and go else where. When was the last time that ANY political party did anything to help someone like me. Young, Single, Educated and working.

If your slightly miffed imagine what its like spending your life building a business to be informed by the council you are a week late paying your council tax (£1000pcm) and as you had been late paying in march they "may" be summonsing you. I agree with you 100% the inmates are running the asylum

This is a good thread. We are in New Zealand and are actually looking at the options to come back after over 4 years. If the crash doesn't happen we wont' be able to return.

If the government keep the bubble inflated it will just ultimately be a bigger mess, unless of course they just want it inflated until they can all offload all of their second homes etc.

"When was the last time that ANY political party did anything to help someone like me. Young, Single, Educated and working."

I know the feeling (except I`m not quite so young, only slightly educated, and I was working until Mr & Mrs J Public decided to stop spending). As a single, working person, you do tend to feel a little "left out". You pay for everything, twice. You pay tax, to help support all those that do qualify for tax credits, benefits etc. You also pay for things like prescriptions, which non-working people get free. It`s a though you should be thankful that you work your butt off, just to get by, after you`ve payed for everyone else`s benefits. And just try putting a roof over your head. Easier if you have a working partner, and far easier if you have a partner, working or not, and a kid or two in tow.

And the final insult is that your taxes are being used to prop up banks that have lent out too much money which has been used to price you out of the property market.

I feel your pain.

OK, I`m lucky, in that I "bought" my house before the madness of the past decade, and I`m as good as mortgage free. This doesn`t stop me from getting very riled when I look at the crazy way this government has handled, or rather not handled the economy.

Edited by Prof

......my daughter is in Australia now ..on holiday....job hunting....I have recommended this to her for years.....even she has now seen that writing on that wall...!.....I would recommend the same to all youngsters in your position... <_<

OK, I`m lucky, in that I "bought" my house before the madness of the past decade, and I`m as good as mortgage free. This doesn`t stop me from getting very riled when I look at the crazy way this government has handled, or rather not handled the economy.

lets hope you havent got any savings then......

lets hope you havent got any savings then......

Well, I have. Should I feel pleased about that ?

I suppose I can still feed myself and pay the bills while my work is quiet. However, I expect that should I become officially unemployed, and request benefits while I look for other employment, then "the computer says no".

"When was the last time that ANY political party did anything to help someone like me. Young, Single, Educated and working."

In the 1970s. but sadly they are now pilloried, abused, and insulted, well you can`t win them all. ;)

A time when young Management were indoctrinated McCarthy style, and went out to preach the Gospel of the unacceptble face of the peasants demanding a better life after the austerity of the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, the building industry were the worse in health and safety. ;)

I suppose I can still feed myself and pay the bills while my work is quiet. However, I expect that should I become officially unemployed, and request benefits while I look for other employment, then "the computer says no".

...Nulabour will soon find a problem financing benefits.....let's face it ..their housekeeping is rotten......I wouldn't trust them to run the last-chance saloon....no thank you....!..... <_<

well, the best its probably earning is 4-8% and real inflation on it is probably 8-12%

so your losing your savings every year. when they prop up this market. that will rise.

If the government do go ahead then i have no doubt that the UK economy will fail.

...we are already there...but agreed ...such a move would make recovery ...impossible.... <_<

When was the last time that ANY political party did anything to help someone like me. Young, Single, Educated and working.

...and modest, too!!

p

That's almost exactly the same rant as I had yesterday, when I was watching the BBC news at lunchtime and Robert Preston said that even though the report recommended against it, now that the chancellor had raised the idea, he was almost certainly going to implement something like it.

I simply don't understand why people think they have the right to make money from the younger generation by selling them houses at higher and higher prices - and that they should pay twice, once through a giant mortgage, and once through taxes to allow banks to give those giant mortgages.

I'm astonished by how quickly Gordon Brown and Darling have managed to completely alienate me. I'm not a "life long" support of any political party, blindly voting for a party, so I've voted for different parties. But after voting for Labour several times, there's absolutely no way I'll vote for them in any coming elections. How can they not see the damage they're doing with this desperate flailing around?

Anyway, rather than simply complain, I'm taking the step of learning another language, so I can leave this country behind, and take my tax payments elsewhere should they make any sort of bailout like this actually happen.

If the BoE try's to intervene in the mortgage market it would end in complete and utter failure, hopefully Mystic Merv gets some balls and tells Brown to go f*** himself when he comes for the money.

This interim report they talked about yesterday has apparently ruled out government intervention in the housing market, on the grounds that it risks reinflating the bubble and because the government can't afford it anyway. That doesn't mean that they won't try, but IMO it makes it a bit less likely.

I am also paying for

and Private Health Care

F*** O**

in fact F*** Right O**

here here - I said something like this to the telly - yesterday. Even the g/f moaned which is a good sign. We need more normal people ranting ;)

Well you know why that is, don't you? As a demographic you DON'T VOTE. When I start a political party it will concentrate on policies which appeal to slight older women.

If the government can come up with a plan which would ensure the market just returns to trend without any overshoot I would greatly applaud them. Overshoots in any direction in the house market are bad. Willing the market to overcorrect just seems bitter.

To be honest I really can't work up any sympathy for you. If you're young and educated and single you shouldn't need or expect any help or for anyone to do anything for you. How about getting off this forum and making something of yourself.

Edited by Neitherland

This interim report they talked about yesterday has apparently ruled out government intervention in the housing market, on the grounds that it risks reinflating the bubble and because the government can't afford it anyway. That doesn't mean that they won't try, but IMO it makes it a bit less likely.

Don't forget that this Govt are more than happy to seek expert advice on matters only to ignore, or even do the complete opposite, of the recommendations given.

They've done exactly this on matters of health and law - why not finance?

Well you know why that is, don't you? As a demographic you DON'T VOTE. When I start a political party it will concentrate on policies which appeal to slight older women.

If the government can come up with a plan which would ensure the market just returns to trend without any overshoot I would greatly applaud them. Overshoots in any direction in the house market are bad. Willing the market to overcorrect just seems bitter.

To be honest I really can't work up any sympathy for you. If you're young and educated and single you shouldn't need or expect any help or for anyone to do anything for you. How about getting off this forum and making something of yourself.

Point 1 - I have voted at every election i have been entitled to, i cant be held responsible for my peers.

Point 2 - Its not bitter, its about wanting the best for myself.

Point 3 - As has been mentioned i am not wanting help, i am not wanting sympathy i just want to be left alone. I am currently paying many thousands of pounds a year to basically get my bins collected

OK, I'm not so young and married. But I'm educated and go to work everyday to put a roof over my head and food on the table.

The point is not that people like OP and me are asking for massive handouts, we are just asking that the government stops raiding our pay-cheques to give massive handouts to everyone else.

There are a very large number of people who quite legitimately feel that they see almost no return from the vast sums of money that the government compells from them at gunpoint in the form of taxes.

If these taxes were then used to re-inflate a ludicrous housing bubble that has priced us out of market while bailing out the already bailed-out banking sector, then dont you think this would be cause for a certain not so inconsiderable degree of disgruntlement?

Ok I do see your point a bit. However it was the OP's cry of "what have they ever done for me" which provoked me, I think that kind of attitude is the really big problem in this country.

As to the possible "bailing out", the plans are not to try and re-inflate the bubble that would be impossible. It's to try and stop the overshoot below trend, this might too be impossible but it's a laudable idea.

And by the way (like the northern rock bail out) I can only see this costing the tax payer money if things go wrong, if it works out as planned it will make money.

Point 2 - Its not bitter, its about wanting the best for myself.

If you admit that wanting the market to over correct, over shoot the trend on the way down is about just wanting the best for yourself, in other words it's in your self interest for it to overshoot then you are exactly the same as the bulls wanting the market to overshoot on the way up.