House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Michael R

Madeover Muppets

An anecdotal of sorts because my buddy lives not far away from this house and may be bidding on it.

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080728/ap_en_...ver_foreclosure

LAKE CITY, Ga. - More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5

Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

Words fail me.

I wonder how many more similar stories there are/will be. Surely the writing was on the wall at the time...

If the owners of the house run a (failed) construction company, they could have rebuilt the house themselves, and if you're not very well off, and you're given a shed load of money and a nice house, the chances are pretty high you're going to want to start living a lifestyle that befits the house. It's terribly sad, and all those volunteers must feel pretty crappy - I wonder how long the extreme house makeover family will continue to be able to live in the area without people wanting to let them know exactly how they feel about it?

It would have been better to tart up and do basic maintenance on all the houses in the neighbourhood, and pay for all the local kids to have a scholarship - a better outlook for the future, and no debts to feel obligated about (and no one with a greatly increased house value to MEW away...)