House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Prefabs Back On The Menu

According to BBC Breakfast who did a piece from somebody's back garden.

Yep, prefabs are on the menu again as a housing solution. This time it's not a government solution, but the choice of the bommerang generation who simply can't see the logic in mortgages on overpriced bricks and mortar.

As for the land issue, they simply plonk the thing, following John Prescott's garden-grabbing example, in the back garden.

Some of these structures are pretty impressive, and when the friends come around, chances are they'll get used to the idea of non-conventional builds. When the government cotton on to the changesd mood, you can bet we see moves to bring more unconventional builds here en masse. Of course the house builders won't like it. They are set up for brick builds and the profits that come with them ... er, hello? What housebuilders? What profits? And it will also be a cheap way to hit those carbon targets.

Edited by Sledgehead

Guest KingCharles1st

Yep saw it. I thought that was a much nicer place that a lot of 1 and 2 bed shitholes luxury starter homes currently being made by the big builders to be honest.

But all you need is a spare acre of land in the garden, nobody to object, and the consent of the planning dept. I would say the example chosen was from a pretty well off and switched on connected family- typical BBC fodder.

Yep saw it. I thought that was a much nicer place that a lot of 1 and 2 bed shitholes luxury starter homes currently being made by the big builders to be honest.

But all you need is a spare acre of land in the garden, nobody to object, and the consent of the planning dept. I would say the example chosen was from a pretty well off and switched on connected family- typical BBC fodder.

Charles you need to change your avatar.

We needed a world war to be in this situation before.

Bravo Gordon, George, King and that useless woman in the BOE tasked with looking after the housing market.

You have played a blinder - you really have wrecked this country with debt and pathetic policies.

Well well - plummeting living standards thanks to HPI. Who'd have thought it?

Everyone except the BBC, it seems. A few years ago, £50,000 bought you a very nice first house. Now it buys you a chicken shed in your mum and dad's garden.

I got the impression from the BBC clip that you don't need planning permission for one of these, but you do need to approach the appropriate council people in advance just to get an informal yes, before you start to do it. I too, thought that the "shed" looked spacious and nicer than a shoebox flat. It certainly wouldn't work for everyone - you would have to have a great relationship with your parents etc. I think it might be OK for a while, but it would be soon time to move out.

Some family friends wanted to build a summer house in their garden, but if it's a permanent structure, you need planning permission - so instead they put down a concrete slab, built a (slightly raised) summer house on top, and tied/pinned it down - thereby making it a completely removable structure and one that didn't require PP.

I'm guessing there are plenty of ways around the regulations, you just have to have the land to build one on, and a bit of thinking outside the (shoe)box.

This has been a long time coming.

We've been using the same tired, inefficient expensive and out of date building methods for twenty years now. Factory built, site assembled modular housing is the way forward.

Just checked. The most expensive of the range is 135,000 NZD which equates to around £50,000!

Yes you need a plot and someone to put it up and link it to services but thye are very nice and comfortable

these prefabs are not the result of a housing shortage. they are a result of others greed.

people working and living in prefabs, while the uk has record amounts of empty (overpriced) property.

this is a nation held to ransom by nimby boomers.

these prefabs are not the result of a housing shortage. they are a result of others greed.

people working and living in prefabs, while the uk has record amounts of empty (overpriced) property.

this is a nation held to ransom by nimby boomers.

I reckon if you had a choice of a brick house or one of these new kit houses ( prefab is the wrong word my little sprout) you would maybe like the kitset more.

I reckon if you had a choice of a brick house or one of these new kit houses ( prefab is the wrong word my little sprout) you would maybe like the kitset more.

maybe, but id like to have the choice.

im going to guess that these kit houses are the price of what normal houses OUGHT to be.

maybe, but id like to have the choice.

im going to guess that these kit houses are the price of what normal houses OUGHT to be.

Good point, but who says what the cost of a house ought to be, or do you mean what you want it to be?

We needed a world war to be in this situation before.

Bravo Gordon, George, King and that useless woman in the BOE tasked with looking after the housing market.

You have played a blinder - you really have wrecked this country with debt and pathetic policies.

Kate Barker? (The Barker Report - warning big PDF). Please explain your reasoning.

I don't disagree, they all (Brown, Cooper, Flint, Prof. Nickell...) seem to be singing - out of tune - from the same hymn sheet. It's a 'supply' problem; but high house prices are OK, affordablity solved by ever-increasing levels of debt, because (according to Ms. Cooper) "debt is wealth".

Kate Barker? (The Barker Report - warning big PDF). Please explain your reasoning.

I don't disagree, they all (Brown, Cooper, Flint, Prof. Nickell...) seem to be singing - out of tune - from the same hymn sheet. It's a 'supply' problem; but high house prices are OK, affordablity solved by ever-increasing levels of debt, because (according to Ms. Cooper) "debt is wealth".

Is that the old argument of you aren't making any money because you aren't losing enough?