House Price Crash Forum

News At 10 Now...

HOLA441

Now I know that this is off topic, so I will try and make a tenous link to house prices.

I've just finished watching a piece proclaiming the death of the great British Pint. 1.4 million less pints sold per day we are told?

Now are we really to believe this from the same media that tell us that Women now drink more...our teeanagers are binge drinking themselves to death while kicking the s&it / knifing anyone that looks at them the wrong way?

The very same media that tells us there is a housing shortage and prices will grow by 25% in the next few years?

Is it possible that we can get some form of consistency from the media in their reporting of certain subjects?

It would be nice wouldn't it....

HOLA442
Guest anorthosite
Now I know that this is off topic, so I will try and make a tenous link to house prices.

I've just finished watching a piece proclaiming the death of the great British Pint. 1.4 million less pints sold per day we are told?

Now are we really to believe this from the same media that tell us that Women now drink more...our teeanagers are binge drinking themselves to death while kicking the s&it / knifing anyone that looks at them the wrong way?

I guess more people are going to the supermarket than the pub these days.

HOLA443
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

The very same media that tells us there is a housing shortage and prices will grow by 25% in the next few years?

Is it possible that we can get some form of consistency from the media in their reporting of certain subjects?

Newspapers are rubbish!

HOLA444

Well the pub is a big part of British culture, but so was burning heretics at the stake.

The plain fact is that they are smelly and expensive. You only meet bores our violent nutters. They rarely offer decent facilities. And if they are further away than walking distance you have to get a taxi.

Good riddance to 'em I say. I would much rather stay in with a glass of wine and read HPC.

Having said that, the one I go to in my town is rather good.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Women and teenagers drink neon coloured alcohol, not beer.

HOLA447
Now are we really to believe this from the same media that tell us that Women now drink more...our teenagers are binge drinking themselves to death while kicking the s&it / knifing anyone that looks at them the wrong way?

Possibly. I myself have never drunk a pint of beer. Larger? I find that too gassy. I drink most other stuff though, although let me tell you, there's not much street cred to be had from drinking a Woo Woo, a Blue Lagoon or a Russian Bride.

Women in general are not big pints drinkers (except in Barnsley where they look like Biffa Bacon's mum more often than not).

Kids: Don't they drink cider and canned larger? (Allegedly)

HOLA448
HOLA449

It'll be reet by next Sunday. Tha's off for some proper ales in Leeds wi't' lads. We'll be sure to down a fair few.

Edit: Sales of Cheese flavoured moments will go through the roof, and them lemon fish things that make your fingers smell like, well you know what. ;-)

Edited by Jimothy

HOLA4410
I hope that's not 100% true, or a number of my previous relationships will have been accidentally gay.

:lol::lol: Sorry, that made me laugh. No, just generalising. All the teens and young women in my family and social circle usually drink alcopops or shots, although the 'posher' ciders seem to be popular too.

Most of them hate the taste of beer.

When I was a youngster we used to just drink halves of lager,or the odd one of us cider and blackcurrant. It was all we could afford really.

The great british pint is dying on the cross of cheap spirits and fruit flavoured alcopops.

HOLA4411
:lol::lol: Sorry, that made me laugh. No, just generalising. All the teens and young women in my family and social circle usually drink alcopops or shots, although the 'posher' ciders seem to be popular too.

Most of them hate the taste of beer.

When I was a youngster we used to just drink halves of lager,or the odd one of us cider and blackcurrant. It was all we could afford really.

The great british pint is dying on the cross of cheap spirits and fruit flavoured alcopops.

When then surely the landlords that I have heard on TV all day moaning would be just making up sales on these products.

M&B's share price took a battering today...which sort of highlights the point.

HOLA4412

Agreed that its the relative cheapness of spirits to be drunk at home that undermines beer as a choice.

I know a lot of people moaned about the 50p on a bottle of sprits in the budget but this was the first rise in duty on spirits in 11 years! A bottle of vodka in relation to beer or cider is cheap, espicially the really cheap brands, more like battery acid really but with fruit juice, who cares :rolleyes:

Edited to add: By the bottle tops I see in the roads around here, WKD seems to be the teenage drug of choice.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

HOLA4413

I don't go to the pub much these days, mostly because I can't smoke there.

I did go the other week and noticed that the pub doesn't smell of smoke any more but it did reek of stale beer and BO. And that was in a well to do city of London pub! God knows what the local chav establishments must smell like. I guess the smoke was covering up a multitude of sins.

HOLA4414
When then surely the landlords that I have heard on TV all day moaning would be just making up sales on these products.

Depends where people are buying them.

Maybe the idea of spending an evening down the local pub is something for the 40s and over generation?

Most younger people tend to prefer city centre bars and clubs surely? Plus they may often get tanked up on cheap supermarket booze before going out, hit a few bars, then finish up at a nightclub.

No money for old school pub landlords in any of that scenario.

HOLA4415

Britain always had a great pub culture..........but it's dying!....Pubs were owned by breweries who sold the beer cheaply compared to other drinks

In other countries beer has always been a lot more expensive in pubs than supermarkets which makes sense because of the overheads in running a pub but it's not conducive to a pub culture......because people tend to drink at home more...

In this country beer always used to cost the same in off licences AND pubs......When i started drinking it was about 34p a pint in both which is about £1.70 in today's money...

However now it's about £2.70 a pint in a pub and down to about £1 in a supermarket .........Wines and spirits and mixers were always expensive in pubs but beer wasnt.

This big difference in pub and supermarket prices has largely killed proper pubs and in the town centre now it's mostly just bars for youngsters.

Edited by Michael

HOLA4416
although the 'posher' ciders seem to be popular too.

I find it quite amusing how cider has magically become this cool and trendy drink just by adding a few ice cubes. It's almost as if people have forgotten that the only people that used to drink it were 16 year olds and tramps (save for a few west country 'real' cider drinkers).

Edited by dazed&confused

HOLA4417

M&B's share price took a battering today...which sort of highlights the point.

I don't know, you would think so, the last I remember my young uns' saying in a popular nightclub was 4 alcopops for £10 and a pint of beer was £3.50.

I suppose the smoking ban has something to with it, people don't drink when they are outside having a fag. A new thing is smoking wristbands in clubs, costs a pound for 4x5 minute 'smoking breaks'.

The bouncers let you in and out of the club and mark your wristband each time. You can purchase more wristbands if you want them. This is to limit the time the smokers stay outside for a fag.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
The bouncers let you in and out of the club and mark your wristband each time. You can purchase more wristbands if you want them. This is to limit the time the smokers stay outside for a fag.

What?!

I haven't heard anything so stupid ever since some guy in a kebab house tried to charge me £1 extra for a kebab on NYE for the Millenium back in 1999/2000.

Talk about profiteering, but that is just crazy.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That's so outrageous it's funny! :lol: And people actually pay!?

In my day it was all raves and illegal warehouse parties so we we didn't used to drink much more than mineral water anyway (ahem ;) ) unfortunately those days are long gone....sigh :(

We didn't even pay for entrance let alone having a fag! :lol:

Edited by dazed&confused

HOLA4422
I haven't heard anything so stupid ever since some guy in a kebab house tried to charge me £1 extra for a kebab on NYE for the Millennium back in 1999/2000.

It was probably a special "millennium" kebab, made from a thousand different meats. ;)

HOLA4423
Guest anorthosite
It was probably a special "millennium" kebab, made from a thousand different meats. ;)

How many breeds of dogs are there I wonder?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
That's so outrageous it's funny! :lol: And people actually pay!

In my day it was all raves and illegal warehouse parties so we we didn't used to drink much more than mineral water anyway (ahem ;) ) unfortunately those days are long gone....sigh :(

We didn't even pay for entrance let alone having a fag! :lol:

Seriously, they won't allow you out without one, or if you go out for a fag without a wristband they won't let you back in without paying again for admission. Personally I wouldn't patronise the place, but it's eighteen to twenty somethings were talking about here and you know how 'cool' some clubs are to them.