House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Belfast Boy

Radio Ulster - David Dunseith - Talk Back

Thanks to Sophia for telling us about this Radio Ulster Talk Back program.

For those of you who cannot use BBC iplayer, this podcast link may work. There are no listener comments in the podcast. However, most of the commentators discussion seems to be be there in the podcast.

Talk Back podcast link - click here.

Starts at 12:15. Finishes at 23:05

Newtown Emerson writer and commentator... I've got to say, his comments were brilliant! Some of the best bits...

Newton Emerson: "To get the market started again prices, for a starter home, need to come down to 50-60 grand."

Newton Emerson: "... huge slump in the housing market ... which represents, even in Northern Ireland alone, tens of billions of pounds of money wiped off assets... The Assembly - in fact, I would say even the UK government - simply does not have the where-with-all (I think he means money) to produce a stimulus package that is going to get that moving again. The only thing that is going to get it moving again is when prices drop to a level where people can borrow enough money to buy a house."

Newton Emerson: "... I just heard more absurd, special pleading (he is refering to John Armstrong from the Construction and Employers Federation :lol:) ... too much liquidity by the banks that got us into this mess in the first place!... the Executive had better not spend my taxes, buying up these guys surplus stock, when it is still over valued by 200 to 300%!. What needs to happen is that these over borrowed developers need to go bust."

Newton Emerson: "... these developers and the banks are engaged in a staring contest, over who is going to bail each other out, while trying to keep prices at their existing absurd levels!"

David Dunseith: "Newton Emerson struck a cord with scores of listeners, who flocked to our call lines to voice your support."

Who thought a year ago that we would hear this on Radio Ulster?

Brilliant! Thank you Mr. Emerson.

Edited by Belfast Boy

Thanks to Sophia for telling us about this Radio Ulster Talk Back program.

For those of you who cannot use BBC iplayer, this podcast link may work. There are no listener comments in the podcast. However, most of the commentators discussion seems to be be there in the podcast.

Talk Back podcast link - click here.

Starts at 12:15. Finishes at 23:05

Newtown Emerson writer and commentator... I've got to say, his comments were brilliant! Some of the best bits...

Newton Emerson: "To get the market started again prices, for a starter home, need to come down to 50-60 grand."

Newton Emerson: "... huge slump in the housing market ... which represents, even in Northern Ireland alone, tens of billions of pounds of money wiped off assets... The Assembly - in fact, I would say even the UK government - simply does not have the where-with-all (I think he means money) to produce a stimulus package that is going to get that moving again. The only thing that is going to get it moving again is when prices drop to a level where people can borrow enough money to buy a house."

Newton Emerson: "... I just heard more absurd, special pleading (he is refering to John Armstrong from the Construction and Employers Federation :lol:) ... too much liquidity by the banks that got us into this mess in the first place!... the Executive had better not spend my taxes, buying up these guys surplus stock, when it is still over valued by 200 to 300%!. What needs to happen is that these over borrowed developers need to go bust."

Newton Emerson: "... these developers and the banks are engaged in a staring contest, over who is going to bail each other out, while trying to keep prices at their existing absurd levels!"

David Dunseith: "Newton Emerson struck a cord with scores of listeners, who flocked to our call lines to voice your support."

Who thought a year ago that we would hear this on Radio Ulster?

Brilliant! Thank you Mr. Emerson.

I just happened to tune into Radio Ulster and per chance heard that interview. Thats probably the best analysis regarding house prices in NI and where they need to go I heard to date. The other ***** being interviewed seem to think that there was now affordability in the market.

Credit to Mr Emerson perhaps him and Mr FP from the site could form a coalition.

I just happened to tune into Radio Ulster and per chance heard that interview. Thats probably the best analysis regarding house prices in NI and where they need to go I heard to date. The other ***** being interviewed seem to think that there was now affordability in the market.

Credit to Mr Emerson perhaps him and Mr FP from the site could form a coalition.

Mr Emerson really went for it, absolutely no holds barred attack!

I think I'll post a link to this on the main forum......very entertaining. :P

Hi Guys , first post . Been lurking for a while . I happened to catch this show and was cheering the radio , Newton right on the money .

cheers , str'd feb 07 so feeling fairly smug at the moment ;) , came across this site last year and got some great info to back up my position .

do you think Newton reads the site ?

Edited by Malthus

Always liked Newton, especially with his snippets on Hearts and Minds. He always provided an objective view when writing for the IN.

If Newton reads this site I think he is really BB in disguise. He thinks starter homes should be £50-£60k. :D

Always liked Newton, especially with his snippets on Hearts and Minds. He always provided an objective view when writing for the IN.

If Newton reads this site I think he is really BB in disguise. He thinks starter homes should be £50-£60k. :D

And lets not forget the wonderful satire that Newt provided courtesy of now "decommissioned" Portadown News.

Always liked the cut of his jib did I.

And lets not forget the wonderful satire that Newt provided courtesy of now "decommissioned" Portadown News.

Always liked the cut of his jib did I.

The best source for local news. I do miss it. :(:(