House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markinspain

Yea, I Know It´s Off Topic, But I Would Like Opinions.

As one who has to deal with these things (SEO) on a semi-regular basis, I'd say it'll make the same impact on the search engine market as a haddock would on Mt. Washington if dropped from 15,000ft. Unless they can attract serious traffic quickly, they'll probably last as long as their funding and no more, which in today's climate probably ain't that long.

As one who has to deal with these things (SEO) on a semi-regular basis, I'd say it'll make the same impact on the search engine market as a haddock would on Mt. Washington if dropped from 15,000ft. Unless they can attract serious traffic quickly, they'll probably last as long as their funding and no more, which in today's climate probably ain't that long.

Well it ain´t working properly at the moment (unless it's my server)! I did like the appeal of non saved searches for the same reasons I don't like cctv, but I suppose you're right in that it will depend on the finance and marketing.

As a rival?

Pretty much non-existant. People know google, the word has become a verb in common usage.

They also like the company. Hell, I like the company, it provides loads of free stuff like google documents and gmail for me to use.

Mistake #1 is that their company name is very hard to pronounce.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

It's not as good as a quail.

www.cuil.com

I think it is interesting... While not a threat to Google dominance today, they've only spent $5m - and they're producing something a hell of a lot more credible than Microsoft/Yahoo managed with a far larger budget.

I think the technical issues can be resolved pretty easily, and that anyone who asks "do I prefer google" has asked themselves the wrong question. Ask yourself, would you prefer google and cuil? If cuil can take even 10% of traffic that also goes to google, it can undercut google's advertising... which is greatly damaging to google. Microsoft and Yahoo desperately want to be able to compete with Google - this means that cuil is a target for a buyout - and there are serious players with serious budgets still knocking around. Microsoft would pay billions just to pull the rug from under Google - for example.

Not only this, but the fact that they've got something to launch on such a shoestring budget can only encourage other venture capitalists to follow their lead. The rivalry between Google and Microsoft, in particular, is sufficient to justify projects like this independent of revenue.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the founders when facing up to industry giants - I presume from the fact that I can't spell cuil without thinking hard that they're not intending to market themselves very hard - except as a company that can be bought for its technology and infrastructure.

I had a quick look and was struck by the following:

- hated the initial black search screen, I have problems reading small white text on black

- results seemed to be gateway pages, spam pages and repeats of really rubbish sites

- didn't like the layout, my eyes couldn't flow easily and I had to scroll for the last bit on my small screen.

- not obvious that there's a page 2 and more

So, 1/10.

Pants.

No contest. It is quite rudimentary. Even really simple searches get nothing back (try "dopamine appetite" - no return - there are thousands). Also I don't like the way it has pretty much chosen your pages for you rather than going through the links. I guess after 20 years I am pretty comfortable with the present gui presentations.

Hmmm. A bit more rootin' about with their search results, and I think we can safely say "a lot more work needed". Can't be arsed to go into details (work can stay at work, thank you), but not only do the results seem extremely strange*, and they seem to have images next to them which do feature anywhere on the sites to which they link. Okay, I say "seem", the links absolutely 100% definately have random images chucked next to them.

A bit more rootin' reveals, well, it's a complete heap of crap compared to the majors.

"she sells sanctuary guitar tab" in Google produces stacks of results. Cuil returns no results. Absolute rubbish, especially given their claim to be the "World's Biggest Search Engine" on their about page. Biggest in what sense? Clearly not in terms of their index, that's for sure.

1/10. See me.

* Searching for a unique named business with a decent presence on the majors returned a load of sites that linked to the site in question, mentioning it often no more than once, with the actual company's main site shown last. Odd. Very odd. And also shit.

I agree with the general consensus that it is crap! But as ex IT bod, I reckon they´ve fallen into the oldest trap in the book. They´ve released it without fecking testing it properly! This will cost them dearly, as we are all going to be telling our friends that it´s crap and so will anyone else who tries it today. There´re loads of people who aren´t even going to give it a try now. Tossers!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I agree with the general consensus that it is crap! But as ex IT bod, I reckon they´ve fallen into the oldest trap in the book. They´ve released it without fecking testing it properly! This will cost them dearly, as we are all going to be telling our friends that it´s crap and so will anyone else who tries it today. There´re loads of people who aren´t even going to give it a try now. Tossers!

Perhaps they're just collecting keywords to spider sites with?

And we're just seeing it at an early stage?

I think it was having problems around lunchtime, it seems to be returning results for everything now. However, its no google beater, too fussy and far too slow (try clicking page two results..)

A few thoughts:

1) The server doesn't even respond to the request.

2) Google is good.

3) There is no way the search results will be better than googles IMHO.

4) oh finally, after 2 mins we get this message:

We’ll be back soon...

Due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity.

Thanks for your patience.

What a load of sh%t. They can't even get the basics right. If they really thought it was going to take off they would have put it in a cloud or something and then they wouldnt have this problem.

All ******. Total ******.

www.cuil.com

..."Due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity."

hahahahahaha that's what you get for using a $10 a month shared server!!! (who the hell are layer42.net anyway...)

It's 'a rival to google' in the same way that 'Time to raise the rents' is a 'rival to van Hoogstraten'.

i searched something of interest in it and hit search, while i was waiting i opened another google window and searched for the same thing. google got there first despite probably a 10sec headstart for cuil.

In fact after waiting about another 30secs cuil still hadnt returned anything.

I shall not be 'cuiling' anything in the near future.....

Just read about it briefly in Chicago Tribune, first thoughts were, well if it is designed by three of google's inventors it has to be worth a look. The claim it looks at three times as many pages, and doesn't store information on searches, hmm, the name, well it sort of seems like cool, and is meant to mean knowledge, the black front page, opposite of google's white page, suppose.

Tried it out by searching for basement cafe Herald Square Macys - returned the result - servers overloaded - try again later.

Googling produced Cucina & Co, Cafe@Macys in less than 0.000000001 secs.

Its early days. For now will stay googling. :lol: