House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
US Citizen

Leaving The Uk. Thank You And Goodbye

I have done some crazy things in my life but none as mad as this.

A friend of a friend has got me a job a job teaching in ICT in a private western school in Thailand (Pay is the same as here) and I start in September. I will be renting a house until I find one I like to buy. I leave on the 7th August. Not sure what to do with the property here, guess I will mothball it and not worry about it at the moment.

I have always been one of those that said I would live abroad one day, but never did anything about it until now.

I have just become so fed with living here, that finally I did do something.

So I guess thank you and goodbye to the the UK. What more can I say ?

Edited by debt-free

A friend of a friend has got me a job a job teaching in ICT in a private western school in Thailand (Pay is the same as here) and I start in September. I will be renting a house until I find one I like to buy. I leave on the 7th August. Not sure what to do with the property here, guess I will mothball it and not worry about it at the moment.

Er, sell it. ASAP!

Good luck, though...

Not sure what to do with the property here, guess I will mothball it ...

Crazy things are often done by gutsy people, but this isn't crazy.

You could donate the property? ;)

Best of luck debt-free.

Go experience this amazing planet.

Well done and congratulations on your decision to leave this over priced, cold and morally bankrupt country! I too am leaving in the New Year to start a new life in Goa, India. Where the schools actually teach children usable skills, rather than 'child-lead-everyone-must-have-prizes' as they do here, where a pint of beer costs 80p, where there is 9 months of glorious sunshine per year, and where you can buy a 4 bedroom detached villa with a pool for about £40k - particularly as they have also had a hpc recently!

I wish you every luck and success with leaving!

Kind regards

Anjuna x

Good luck to everyone on here, I guess I hope everything works out the way you all want it to.

Good luck, but they have the internet in Thailand you know, so you can still carry on posting. I'm sure a number of people would be interested in hearing about the pros and cons of living and working abroad.

Well done and congratulations on your decision to leave this over priced, cold and morally bankrupt country! I too am leaving in the New Year to start a new life in Goa, India. Where the schools actually teach children usable skills, rather than 'child-lead-everyone-must-have-prizes' as they do here, where a pint of beer costs 80p, where there is 9 months of glorious sunshine per year, and where you can buy a 4 bedroom detached villa with a pool for about £40k - particularly as they have also had a hpc recently!

Isn't Goa where the local government recently initiated a land grab, seizing properties owned by foreigners? Maybe that's why a villa with pool costs £40k?

A friend of a friend has got me a job a job teaching in ICT in a private western school in Thailand (Pay is the same as here) and I start in September. I will be renting a house until I find one I like to buy.

Can't only Thai nationals own property?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Isn't Goa where the local government recently initiated a land grab, seizing properties owned by foreigners? Maybe that's why a villa with pool costs £40k?

Awesome. I'm blacking up, putting on a turban and practising my head wobble now.

I have always been one of those that said I would live abroad one day, but never did anything about it until now.

Good luck to you. If you've always wanted to then you are right to do it.

Just one small word of warning from someone who has moved countries before and who's partner is from another country too with the same experience: once you make this move you will find things you love and things you hate in your new country. Conversely you will be pleased to leave behind some of the bad aspects of the UK but you will also miss some of its many great points. The danger is this comparing one with the other can lead to madness. Just take it as it comes and enjoy it.

I wish you well.

Good luck to you. If you've always wanted to then you are right to do it.

Just one small word of warning from someone who has moved countries before and who's partner is from another country too with the same experience: once you make this move you will find things you love and things you hate in your new country. Conversely you will be pleased to leave behind some of the bad aspects of the UK but you will also miss some of its many great points. The danger is this comparing one with the other can lead to madness. Just take it as it comes and enjoy it.

I wish you well.

This is excellent advice and one I will listen to. Many Thanks

Can't only Thai nationals own property?

Only Thai Nationals can own land. However anyone can buy propety on leasehold. To be honest I am in no particular rush to start buying up property. If theres one thing I have learnt from this website and that is "Owning property can be a real pain in ar-e sometime", thats not to say I wont buy, its just for the moment it is pretty far down the list of things I want to do.

They do of course of internet in Thailand, so I will keep you up to date.

This is excellent advice and one I will listen to. Many Thanks

Having been an expat myself for a long time, I can confirm that after a few years you will run into issues you had never noticed before. It's not easy being a foreigner day in day out. Once you are through that phase, however, you are able to fit in anywhere - or nowhere, depending on how you look at it. Expatting brings individual independence but it comes at a high price.

Having been an expat myself for a long time, I can confirm that after a few years you will run into issues you had never noticed before. It's not easy being a foreigner day in day out. Once you are through that phase, however, you are able to fit in anywhere - or nowhere, depending on how you look at it. Expatting brings individual independence but it comes at a high price.

I shall remember that. I am joining an expat community where I will be renting and teaching, I am hoping that will help.

How do all you people put up with the infernal punishing mosquito ridden heat? Its too hot here. No where on earth is hotter than thailand. If you go there to retire and have servants fanning you all hours of the day i guess it would be ok, but to work there must be tiring, im guessing air conditioning is fairly rare.

Good luck if I were you I would keep onto the property here as said below being a foreigner in Thailand is not as easy as you think. BTW you are lucky to be getting the same wages as here usually English Teachers get a fairly basic.

I have just become so fed with living here, that finally I did do something.

So I guess thank you and goodbye to the the UK. What more can I say ?

Try to avoid any tsunamis.

I wish you every luck and success with leaving!

Kind regards

Anjuna x

What's Anjuna like these days then? When I was last there it was full of smelly hippy types dancing to techno and getting stoned!

Okay, I might have contributed to their numbers! :unsure: Those were the daze! :lol: Not sure if I'd want to live there I must say.

It was a long time ago though!