House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thread Killer

Pier We Go. Fire Engulfes Weston Super Mare's Finest

Third one in four years or so?

Wonder how much it was insured for?

Yes, piers do seem to have a very unfortunate tendency to burst into flames, don't they? Odd, since they're generally surrounded by water and all (though Weston Super Mare would be a notable exception in that area) <_<

why dont we all contribute via the 'national trust' and build a much more expensive one,. to look at with 'awe' as we aimlessly wander about town, searching for affordable btl rentals. reading lies in the paper and consider getting involved in wars that only reward corporate executives.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
who cares anymore ?

But now you'll have to go to Bognor to get your fortune told, use up those old 2ps and eat food made entirely from artificial ingredients.

What do you mean its not in West Sussex ?!! :angry:

(puts matches back in pocket)

lol that West pier is a joke now isn't it.

Its funny. Weston Super Mare is distinctive in my mind as it's the first place where I bought a box of matches. How appropriate...

But now you'll have to go to Bognor to get your fortune told, use up those old 2ps and eat food made entirely from artificial ingredients.

I'm beginning to see the upside of this - no more blue rinsed old ladies feeding 2p pieces into one armed bandits. And those ******* horrible plastic scarfs on their heads.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
why dont we all contribute via the 'national trust' and build a much more expensive one,. to look at with 'awe' as we aimlessly wander about town, searching for affordable btl rentals. reading lies in the paper and consider getting involved in wars that only reward corporate executives.

I say we convert all private debt to public debt.

And then burn down or dismantle all private enterprise.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I say we convert all private debt to public debt.

consider it done.

i dont think anyone uses the pier much. they probably complain it never turned a profit, but these 'relics' are more often than not used to justify some kind of classic status to otherwise dead towns. makes them expensively fashionable. this 'restorative' will be the angle put on the cost of rebuild put onto the public.

doing up useless relics that serve to purpose - good for nimbys.

building new housing estates - bad for nimbys.

and so our taxes go....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7528165.stm

Got to be an insurance job. Say no more...

Southend Pier--similar circumstances a couple of years ago. Southend Pier was bought by, shall we say, a gentleman of past notoriety, and then it burned down. The fire happened to begin at the precise moment when the tide was out at its furthest point preventing the Fire Brigade from drawing sea water to combat the flames. The Pier was insured.

No doubt this Pier was adequately covered by insurance which itself may have been "laid off" on the re-insurance market.

We live in a land of cut-purses and blaggards and yes, we probably do have the right PM to get on with the con-job of running the economy.

Edited by Realistbear

I'm not sure it was an insurance job, British tourism is picking up a little as most people can no longer MEW themselves out to the Carribean so are facing up to the prospect on a UK holiday extravaganza. I'm guessing they might go to a place like Weston Super Mare, and spend loads of money on the pier.

The pier was recently bought in a multimillion-pound deal by entrepreneurs Michelle and Kerry Michael.

The Michael family had already spent hundreds of thousands of pounds as part of a regeneration of the site, including a new funfair and the go-kart track.

The new owners also planned to open restaurants and offer Victorian-style shows.

Relatives of Mr Michael said he left the country on Sunday for a holiday in Spain.

Speaking from his home in Bleadon, near Weston-super-Mare, a woman, who asked not to be named, said Mr Michael was aware of the situation and was likely to return home as soon as possible.

:ph34r:

Oh great. Now we have to endure 30 years of local newpapers reporting "new plans to restore the pier!" every other day to their nostalgic teary-eyed readers. <_<

How many piers do we have in the country? What percentage of them have mysteriously burned down in the last few years? Whats is that %age like compared to the fire risk of non pier based buildings? My guess is astronomically bigger.

How many piers do we have in the country? What percentage of them have mysteriously burned down in the last few years? Whats is that %age like compared to the fire risk of non pier based buildings? My guess is astronomically bigger.

Why does it matter?

Third one in four years or so?

Wonder how much it was insured for?

Im not implying it was an insurance job, but it was only sold 6 months ago. The previous owner (who was interviewed this morning on BBC Breakfast) must have been laughing his head off.