House Price Crash Forum
BoomBoom

The Nissan Gt-r

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_GT-R

Featured recently on 'Top Gear', and I will be ordering mine soon.

This car represents why UK manufacturing is dead. Here is a car produced in Japan (a predominantly high wage economy) that is a truly amazing piece of engineering, and yet comes in at £53k(peanuts in supercar terms). When we had a mass produced car industry, the output was overpriced, technologically dated and poorly built. How is it Japan can do what it does in a high wage environment, but UK industry claims the only way to keep prices competitive is to offshore everything to rice wage economies?

This car represents why UK manufacturing is dead. Here is a car produced in Japan (a predominantly high wage economy) that is a truly amazing piece of engineering, and yet comes in at £53k(peanuts in supercar terms). When we had a mass produced car industry, the output was overpriced, technologically dated and poorly built. How is it Japan can do what it does in a high wage environment, but UK industry claims the only way to keep prices competitive is to offshore everything to rice wage economies?

they actually do a lot of research and development.

they actually do a lot of research and development.

I am guessing that cam belt changes wont be cheap. Nor the servicing.

Oh, how much is BP ultimate/Shell V-max at the moment? Cant put anything less than 98 RON in these motors meaning you wont be filling it up at tescos.

In terms of burning cash, I can only think of using a 50 quid note brazier as superior...

Unless it is a diesel?

I am guessing that cam belt changes wont be cheap. Nor the servicing.

Oh, how much is BP ultimate/Shell V-max at the moment? Cant put anything less than 98 RON in these motors meaning you wont be filling it up at tescos.

In terms of burning cash, I can only think of using a 50 quid note brazier as superior...

Unless it is a diesel?

this is a super-car, most of the new development goes into it, then trickles down into the more basic models.

NONE of the super-cars are cheap to run, but the better designed and developed ones are able to pass those benefits on to the rest of the family.

I've driven it on a test track here in Japan. It's amazingly quick yet can be driven slowly without fuss. You see quite a few on the roads. I prefer the dark grey color.

Unlike UK manufacturers, Japanese only promote accountants and business graduates so far. Engineers are the revered workers. Reminds me of another economy in fact, one not too far away from us.

The Nissan GT-R is a perfect example of everything that I hate about modern cars - too much bloody technology and ugly as sin. I know any number of people with brand new, highly sophisticated cars that cost more than I could ever hope to spend on a house, yet they are always in the garage with vehicle technicians scratching their heads trying to diagnose faults that seem to come and go as they please. A couple of examples... BMW X5 that grinds to a halt because of a problem with the cruise control - Surely if there's a problem with the cruise control it should simply lose the cruise control feature, not grind to a halt completely - A computer wouldn't crash because the printer had run out of ink, so why should a car stop working when a feature that's peripheral to it's main purpose ceases to function correctly? Ferrari F430 that goes into 'limp-home' mode as and when it feels like it. Garage can't find a fault each time they look at it, but there's obviously a fault there. There was a time when cars were just machines and these faults couldn't even exist. If something went wrong with your car you just took it to any competent mechanic who could fix it because all cars were basically the same. These days it's all computers and software. Only the main dealers have access to the software that they seem to need when a car needs fixing, so they can charge what they want for it, even though it requires zero effort to download the 'fix' into the car's ECU. And what happens when the car gets old? "Sorry sir, we can't fix your car, the software it's running on is obsolete and the new software won't run on your car because the hardware is too old... Oh, and that advice will be £400 please". No, give me an old car any day. And what of the Nissan GT-R's curious feature, where the sat-nav knows when you reach a race track and turns-off all of the limiters? Given how flaky and unstable these hi-tech gadgets are, would you really trust it? Suppose you're half way round a particularly demanding turn at the Nordschleife and the sat-nav suddenly decides you're not at a race track? Limiters lick-in and it's lift-off oversteer all the way to the armco... or you're out on the road, throttle to the floor round a second gear hairpin and the sat-nav suddenly decides you are at a race track and turns the limiters off? Power oversteer all the way to the nearest cliff. And... who, among us, who saw the Nissan GT-R, found it truly marvellous that each car is slightly unique because each engine is built by hand, and who thought "sh*t! that thing's going to be impossible to fix because bespoke parts will have to be made - there'll be no 'off-the-shelf' replacement components for it? No, these cars are stupid and pointless.

dont you think its kind of over engineered for 70mph ?

Haha. Like when Jag brought out the new XK and Clarkson was whinging about how the streering was a bit light when you went past 130.... wtf!

Yes, I saw this on Top Gear and fancy one myself. Got the cash to buy one, though I am not sure as to whether I'd start getting pulled over by the police.

But the good thing here is that Japanese engineering is of excellent quality and they generally make their vehicles feature rich. My previous cars have all been German, progressing through VW, Mercs and BMWs, all very good, but the extras did tend to rack up.

dont you think its kind of over engineered for 70mph ?

I do like the gps based software speed limiting unless you are at a nissan approved racetrack; thats getting on seriously smart. I wonder how long before full-scale Head-up displays are included?

ergonomocs_hud.jpg

These cars do look ugly, as do those rally type cars that seem popular amongst the chavocracy, the ones with the big spoilers on top. Ugly as sin.

Anyhow I keep getting 3 points for missing a 40->30 transition and I'm the only bloke on the road trying to keep to the fracking limits, forever driving around with a tail of knobheads in Audis and BMW X5s a mile long.

So even if there wasn't a wee problem with petrol prices, I'd be consigning this to the circular file.

By the way, the reason these cars are so 'cheap' is that the companies producing them don't have to produce profits, they are just job creation schemes.

Bitter? Twisted?

Yes. Thank god Top Gear is off the air, the most bigoted, destructive, brainless twaddle targeted at viewers with the cranial capacity of an radish. I should know. I've watched it, frequently.

:P

So you are expecting delivery in 2010 or 2011?

this is a super-car, most of the new development goes into it, then trickles down into the more basic models.

NONE of the super-cars are cheap to run, but the better designed and developed ones are able to pass those benefits on to the rest of the family.

A Honda NSX is classed as a supercar and is relatively cheap to run.

The Nissan GT-R is a perfect example of everything that I hate about modern cars - too much bloody technology and ugly as sin. I know any number of people with brand new, highly sophisticated cars that cost more than I could ever hope to spend on a house, yet they are always in the garage with vehicle technicians scratching their heads trying to diagnose faults that seem to come and go as they please. A couple of examples... BMW X5 that grinds to a halt because of a problem with the cruise control - Surely if there's a problem with the cruise control it should simply lose the cruise control feature, not grind to a halt completely - A computer wouldn't crash because the printer had run out of ink, so why should a car stop working when a feature that's peripheral to it's main purpose ceases to function correctly? Ferrari F430 that goes into 'limp-home' mode as and when it feels like it. Garage can't find a fault each time they look at it, but there's obviously a fault there. There was a time when cars were just machines and these faults couldn't even exist. If something went wrong with your car you just took it to any competent mechanic who could fix it because all cars were basically the same. These days it's all computers and software. Only the main dealers have access to the software that they seem to need when a car needs fixing, so they can charge what they want for it, even though it requires zero effort to download the 'fix' into the car's ECU. And what happens when the car gets old? "Sorry sir, we can't fix your car, the software it's running on is obsolete and the new software won't run on your car because the hardware is too old... Oh, and that advice will be £400 please". No, give me an old car any day. And what of the Nissan GT-R's curious feature, where the sat-nav knows when you reach a race track and turns-off all of the limiters? Given how flaky and unstable these hi-tech gadgets are, would you really trust it? Suppose you're half way round a particularly demanding turn at the Nordschleife and the sat-nav suddenly decides you're not at a race track? Limiters lick-in and it's lift-off oversteer all the way to the armco... or you're out on the road, throttle to the floor round a second gear hairpin and the sat-nav suddenly decides you are at a race track and turns the limiters off? Power oversteer all the way to the nearest cliff. And... who, among us, who saw the Nissan GT-R, found it truly marvellous that each car is slightly unique because each engine is built by hand, and who thought "sh*t! that thing's going to be impossible to fix because bespoke parts will have to be made - there'll be no 'off-the-shelf' replacement components for it? No, these cars are stupid and pointless.

Are you not confusing Japanese engineering (which tends to work) with European pap?

tenuous :rolleyes:

Off topic forum in, 3, 2... 1!

Expensive sports cars are a useful indicator of future house price falls. The last generation appeared in the late 80's, just before that HPC. It's just an indicator of too much money being about and those that have done well out of the boom want a trophy to spend it on.

The car market is as credit-fueled as the housing market. I'd even expect the degree of leverage to be similar.

VMR.

(Currently finishing the design of a new type of intercooler for my supercharged MX5 based on a Lindsey Racing hard pipe and have a series 8 RX7-RS (300bhp, lightweight car) when I want to scare myself silly, get yours in 2009 when the 10 year E-sva time limit is up)

Expensive sports cars are a useful indicator of future house price falls. The last generation appeared in the late 80's, just before that HPC. It's just an indicator of too much money being about and those that have done well out of the boom want a trophy to spend it on.

XJ220? :lol:

(Currently finishing the design of a new type of intercooler for my supercharged MX5 based on a Lindsey Racing hard pipe and have a series 8 RX7-RS (300bhp, lightweight car) when I want to scare myself silly, get yours in 2009 when the 10 year E-sva time limit is up)

We've talked cars before but only in an attempt to take a topic randomly off topic!

Haha. Like when Jag brought out the new XK and Clarkson was whinging about how the streering was a bit light when you went past 130.... wtf!

its crazy. it encourages dangerous driving.

I do like the gps based software speed limiting unless you are at a nissan approved racetrack; thats getting on seriously smart. I wonder how long before full-scale Head-up displays are included?

ergonomocs_hud.jpg

trouble is, no one does. these cars get flung around the wet A roads and usually into a couple with 2 kids.

cars like this are not about the quality of drive, but the quality of image. or at least, the owners 'self image'

its not a uk thing. its pure status symbolism.

The car market is as credit-fueled as the housing market. I'd even expect the degree of leverage to be similar.

VMR.

I wouldn't say that the GT-R is expensive for what if offers, but I agree the sports car market is suffering.

ergonomocs_hud.jpg

head up displays are OLD technology , it appeared on a motorbike in the 1990s, the NR750, one of the most expensive low production on sale to public bikes I have ever seen, cost 80K and appreciates in value so much that people keep them in glass boxes. Had clear titanium screen, and a HUD projector on the screen, 32 valves in V4 cylinders ovaloid pistons and cermanic coated cylinders titanium everything.

By modern standards its heavy and under powered at 135bhp and 195 kilos, but in the 1990s it was the pinnacle of Honda engineering.

if people want to use cars as status symbols then we should all have standard fiestas only with clear perspex strong boxes on top showing gold amounts in.

this will improve road safety.

The japs manipulate their economy, if it where a country that wasn’t buying lots and lots of dollar US debt then America would be up in arms and sanctions would be in place. I assume they do the same with Europe to a lesser degree, buying our debt so we don’t kick up a fuss.

So japan isn’t some wonder case, it just manipulates its currency to be some 20% lower than it should be hence its workforce is 20% cheaper than it should be hence manufacturing is possible there cheaply. This manipulation is on the whole a negative for the average jap on the street though but keeps their companies strong.

Another reason is that they implemented lean manufacturing a long time ago, practically invented the stuff but the UK and I assume USA/Europe have started investing and using lean/CI in a good way. So we should get more competitive relatively speaking.

How is tax over there? Do they have 2m odd on the sick and another 2m officially unemployed and another 5m hidden unemployed (like most students and those whom are out of work but don’t claim benefits). Does the state tax them to give those people a free ride?

How is political corruption over there? Do they spend £20B on a 2 week even so a few men can hop skip and jump?? Do they buy nuclear subs they don’t need for £5B and get the taxpayer to pay for all that?

I find it difficult to get excited about a car that does the driving for you. What is the attraction?

Anyone interest in Karting? I'm organising another event at RedLodge (nr Newmarket) on 8th August at 7pm. I have 13 drivers so far and space for 2 more. One qualifying session, and five races on a 1200m outdoor track in 270cc karts.

VMR.

The japs manipulate their economy, if it where a country that wasn’t buying lots and lots of dollar US debt then America would be up in arms and sanctions would be in place. I assume they do the same with Europe to a lesser degree, buying our debt so we don’t kick up a fuss.

So japan isn’t some wonder case, it just manipulates its currency to be some 20% lower than it should be hence its workforce is 20% cheaper than it should be hence manufacturing is possible there cheaply. This manipulation is on the whole a negative for the average jap on the street though but keeps their companies strong.

Another reason is that they implemented lean manufacturing a long time ago, practically invented the stuff but the UK and I assume USA/Europe have started investing and using lean/CI in a good way. So we should get more competitive relatively speaking.

How is tax over there? Do they have 2m odd on the sick and another 2m officially unemployed and another 5m hidden unemployed (like most students and those whom are out of work but don’t claim benefits). Does the state tax them to give those people a free ride?

How is political corruption over there? Do they spend £20B on a 2 week even so a few men can hop skip and jump?? Do they buy nuclear subs they don’t need for £5B and get the taxpayer to pay for all that?

Tax in Japan is quite high but not as high as the UK--probably about 1/4-1/3 of your total wage including land taxes. On the other hand, healthcare is only two-thirds subsidised (capped for expensive stuff, though).

They don't have so much hidden unemployed as in hidden employed--Japan is bizarre in the amount of people doing a job one person (or nobody) could do in the service sector.The upside of this is it makes for amazing service. Another issue is the number of younger people in temporary work with not very bright futures. Benefits if you lose your job are good, but only last for six months or so.

Corruption is pretty bad at government level--basically central government bribes voters in the countryside with pork barrel projects but it's getting better and it makes for some cool (if expensive) infrastructure. Some of the bridges to nowhere are fantastic.

On the currency issues, it's not as clear cut as you make out. The BOJ hasn't intervened directly for years and, given Japan's savings, they have to stick the money somewhere. If Britain and the US are going to have big deficits someone, somewhere has to but the (interest bearing) debt. Also, it's worth noting that Japan's economy is only growing slowly and it's inflation rate is the lowest anywhere. Why should they raise rates?

Finally, is the GT-R ugly. Some days I think it is. Some days I think it's pretty damn cool in a Gundam/metal Godzilla kind of way. As an engineering achievement, though, it's amazing. there's a well-worn phrase here called monozukuri which simply means "making things" but it hold huge cultural sway. Quality design and engineering is respected and expected. That's one reason why I'm not going home until I can rent a place with a decent electric washlet toilet and decent power shower.