House Price Crash Forum

Who Killed The Electric Car ?

HOLA441

I drove a toyota prius hybrid the other day as a hire car as it was all they had. I did not know what it was when i started out and was confused as i did not seem to be using any gas for a while and the battery indicator was quite low when i started and obviously the petrol engine was going.

But evidently it recyles the power of the car much of the time back to the battery and i used very little gas for a days trip around a busy city - Helsinki

I would definately look out for one of these cars as a second hand car

Also saw a video the other day of a guy who did a home built electric car. Surprisingly even with replacing lead acid fairly regularly you are matching or beating petrol - depending on your cost of electricity

And Finland is about to build hybrid sports cars for an american company. So the thing aint dead yet!

HOLA442

aliveandkicking

The Prius is a lemon compared to what an all electric car could provide - more weight - two lots of energy systems being hauled everywhere and it is still burning expensive fossil fuels when not crawling in traffic. I think I'm right in saying that an all-electric can deliver 100-150 equivalent mpg in terms of raw energy use - you just need to reduce the cost of battery/electric vehicle purchase and maintenance down to the level of a petrol/diesel car to be able to make the straight comparison. An electic bike is 1,000 - 1,500 mpg equivalent.

This guy was only getting 40mpg out of the Prius.

http://www.wintonsworld.com/cars/a-cars-20...-road-test.html

HOLA443
aliveandkicking

The Prius is a lemon compared to what an all electric car could provide

Not yet convinced!

I began to wonder if the fuel gauge was broken as it just stayed on full for most of the day. I had to fill the tank at handover and it confirmed very little useage. That was my clear impression. If you can access cheap rate overnight electricity the concept is interesting. As i said if i could get one second hand it might appeal as a car to fiddle with?

I followed the Teslar links though. Given the economic situation we are now in i doubt that firm survives. A few cars will be produced and then it will for now fade away.

Archived