House Price Crash Forum
Imp

Getting My House Valued

I have a 2 bed flat in Cardiff that I want to put up for sale. It's in need of a little tlc, but I have done some work to it over the years.

On Saturday we had an estate agent round to value it. He had a look around, and I explained what I had done and what still needed doing. Once he'd had a look, he said "shall we go and sit down". The EA then spent 5 or ten minutes explaining the current market to me and describing recent cases of people having to sell for less than they bought. He was obviously softening me up for the blow. "We COULD market this at £119,950, but it'll take a while to shift, so really we ought to go with £114,950" I nearly laughed! "We were hoping for £90,000" We spent the next 5 minutes trying to talk him down. He seemed somewhat surprised that I wasn't shouting at him that my house must be worth far more than that. I think he was pleasantly surprised that there actually were vendors out there with reasonable expectations.

Lots of love, Mrs Imp

I have a 2 bed flat in Cardiff that I want to put up for sale. It's in need of a little tlc, but I have done some work to it over the years.

On Saturday we had an estate agent round to value it. He had a look around, and I explained what I had done and what still needed doing. Once he'd had a look, he said "shall we go and sit down". The EA then spent 5 or ten minutes explaining the current market to me and describing recent cases of people having to sell for less than they bought. He was obviously softening me up for the blow. "We COULD market this at £119,950, but it'll take a while to shift, so really we ought to go with £114,950" I nearly laughed! "We were hoping for £90,000" We spent the next 5 minutes trying to talk him down. He seemed somewhat surprised that I wasn't shouting at him that my house must be worth far more than that. I think he was pleasantly surprised that there actually were vendors out there with reasonable expectations.

Lots of love, Mrs Imp

Good on you Mrs Imp. Good luck tomorrow BTW

MH & SH

So, the house has been on the market since the beginning of September for £110,000. So far we have had no viewings and the estate agent is now suggesting we drop the price to £100,000. I'll discuss it with Mrs Imp next week and see what she says. It will make it one of the cheapest properties in that area of Cardiff.