House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Moss And Friends Caught Up In The Property Slump

"In real terms, prices have only dropped between 5 and 10 per cent, but in terms of asking prices they have dropped massively," said Edward Naden, director of the Cheshire estate agents Holmes-Naden. "People can still afford to pay the prices that they could last year. They are just being cheeky and choosing not to."

Can anyone make head or tail of that?

IMPO it sounds like ******

Before the year is out no doubt we will be having regular news stories of 'celebs' going bust because of their property portfolios.

yes - it is the sound of someone soon to be jobless

edit - don't know if anyone noticed the Rightmove banner above the article (maybe rotating) but they are really pushing their 3Ps to vendors

Edited by the end is nigh

Can someone please tell me what is the appeal of Sandbanks?

"Sandbanks, near Bournemouth, described as Britain's Monte Carlo, has also weathered the storm. Tom Doyle, an estate agent who works in the area, said: "We haven't seen a drop in value at all. It is supply and demand – there are still lots of people who want to live here. We sold a property on the water six weeks ago that was advertised for £4m but went for way over £5m."

Of course it is!! :lol:

Relax Grasshoppers, this crash ain't going anywhere (but down) for a couple years at least.

Guest happy?

Before the year is out no doubt we will be having regular news stories of 'celebs' going bust because of their property portfolios.

Interesting use of 'portfolio'. When I were a lad (and all this were fields) portfolio meant a folder or briefcase, and by extension a range of papers/assets within that folder, nowadays it's morphed into a synonym for debt.

"I've got a massive property portfolio."

"Really, we saw the crash coming and realised our portfolio, and are in the fortunate position to be renting"

Edited by happy?

Interesting use of 'portfolio'. When I were a lad (and all this were fields) portfolio meant a folder or briefcase, and by extension a range of papers/assets within that folder, nowadays it's morphed into a synonym for debt.

"Really, we saw the crash coming and realised our portfolio, and are in the fortunate position to be renting"

I remember hearing the term constantly in the the late 80s and hardly ever again until about 5 or 6 years ago!

Sounds Like a ****

(ladies, dont click).

...said Edward Naden, director of the Cheshire estate agents Holmes-Naden. "People can still afford to pay the prices that they could last year. They are just being cheeky and choosing not to."

He calls it cheeky.

The rest of the world call it sensible.

"Sandbanks, near Bournemouth, described as Britain's Monte Carlo, has also weathered the storm. Tom Doyle, an estate agent who works in the area, said: "We haven't seen a drop in value at all. It is supply and demand – there are still lots of people who want to live here. We sold a property on the water six weeks ago that was advertised for £4m but went for way over £5m."

I can only assume the appeal must be the massive traffic jam outside your house today so chavs can get to the beach :lol:

Prices in this area will drop. Especially as the developers have started going bust.

"We sold a property on the water six weeks ago that was advertised for £4m but went for way over £5m."

So someone paid way over a million more than it was advertised for? That was very nice of that person! :)

He is probably right that there are liar loans still out there, but has any one suggested to this man that they also don't want to. The idea being that people that don't pay huge prices for houses are naughty children who should know better is SO 2007.

I had a satchel in school and then I had one of those awful addidas bags from the 1970s - the ones with the two D handles which came in either brown or blue. They were really uncomfortable to carry is hardly anything in them let alone full.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RETRO-ORIGINAL-70s-V...p3286.m14.l1318

I've lived ten minutes from Sandbanks for the last 15 years and have never met a local who wanted to live there. A few dozen very overpriced houses invariably bought by mugs from far away. A single road outside your door permanently jammed in summer (as another poster notes). A few useless shops. The view's great - but great sea views are available for miles in either direction, for a fraction of the price.

Sandbanks is housing's Emperor's New Clothes. It would be nice to think that one day the mugs would see the Emperor is naked, but there's a small, steady supply of fools who can't see through the hype.

I had a satchel in school and then I had one of those awful addidas bags from the 1970s - the ones with the two D handles which came in either brown or blue. They were really uncomfortable to carry is hardly anything in them let alone full.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RETRO-ORIGINAL-70s-V...p3286.m14.l1318

Oi! I still have my brown addidas bag I have you know.

I fear that this portends an increase in the TV license fee as the BBC seeks to compensate all those hard-up celebs for their portfolio depreciation. :(