House Price Crash Forum

The Brits are too comfy and apathetic to take to the streets like that. The Argentinians have a sense of national pride and fervour that Brits can only dream about. Any sense of national identity and unity has been driven out, soviet style, by politically correct lobby and the EU. Community has been destroyed and communications monopolised by a corporate propaganda machine, so powerful, that it manages to convince even thinking people, that everything is OK.

The Brits are too comfy and apathetic to take to the streets like that. The Argentinians have a sense of national pride and fervour that Brits can only dream about. Any sense of national identity and unity has been driven out, soviet style, by politically correct lobby and the EU. Community has been destroyed and communications monopolised by a corporate propaganda machine, so powerful, that it manages to convince even thinking people, that everything is OK.

You say that, but much of what you say about Britain was also true in Argentina e.g. one man owned 60% of Argentine Media. They also had massive immigration during the 'boom' years.

Edit: The banks want you to think that you're somehow different to the Argentinians, but in extremis, humans (on a macro scale) will behave in much the same way - no matter what the color of your skin etc.

Edited by InternationalRockSuperstar

It wasn't national pride, it was the banks closing and refusing to allow savings to be withdrawn that brought people out on the streets. We've come close (NR), but not ALL banks shutting at the same time.

That's a poor reading of human nature. The video said that the first demos only took place after months of apathy. People get pissed off when they get hurt in their wallets and stomachs.

Three meals away from revolution and all that.

Edited by mirage

Guest Steve Cook
It wasn't national pride, it was the banks closing and refusing to allow savings to be withdrawn that brought people out on the streets. We've come close (NR), but not ALL banks shutting at the same time.

yep

And if we think the British will be apathetic if the banks all have a run and we can't get our deposits, we underestimate them

I think there will come a breaking point when people wil take to the streets, revolution style. Wer're probably a decade or so away from it and, to be honest, I hope I am far away when it happens. One thing's for sure, our ruling class have had centruies to perfect the art of suppression.

They will also rise to the occassion, I have no doubt.

Edited by Steve Cook

If you watched the video it was clearly not just about a simple bank run - it was a public outrage against the "thieves" (central bankers colluding with government) who stole their savings by inflating the currency. The eloquence and expressiveness of the average argentian in the street, as demonstrated in the countless film shots of ordinary people having their say, would put the equivalent brit to shame, that is, if the average brit even had a clue what the crisis was about.

Unfortunately I think this is the how bad things will have to get before

the politicians will take any notice.

After Glasgow East, and our unelected Prime Minister's response to it, I don't think _anything_ would make this lot sit up and take notice.

They've been feeding themselves so much 'meeja' drivel and buzzword bingo claptrap for the last 10 years that they've ended up believing it and they can't see a problem when it's looking them starkly in the face. The whole thing feels like the Roman Empire might have felt just before it fell...

Interesting times ahead by Christmas, I suspect! I think I might move to a country with its own identity, like Scotland or Wales (if they'll have me)...

Edited by cannycat

Guest Steve Cook
If you watched the video it was clearly not just about a simple bank run - it was a public outrage against the "thieves" (central bankers colluding with government) who stole their savings by inflating the currency. The eloquence and expressiveness of the average argentian in the street, as demonstrated in the countless film shots of ordinary people having their say, would put the equivalent brit to shame, that is, if the average brit even had a clue what the crisis was about.

true, barrel shifter....

but people can adapt and get politicised, much quicker than we might imagine.....

More nonsense, I'm afraid.

They were pissed off because all their money just got nicked. The eloquence and expressiveness was selected for the documentary out of all the film that was taken over that period.

This is the common error of comparing a highly selected group (Argentinians in a documentary, Chinese scholarship students over here, Poles over here) with a group of countrymen you don't think much of.

true, barrel shifter....

but people can adapt and get politicised, much quicker than we might imagine.....

Especially when they find out the banks done a runner with a lifetimes worth of their savings. Then it gets personal!

More nonsense, I'm afraid.

Why are you afraid? I'm not. You disagree with me. So what. You speak with the diction of a disapproving school mistress.

Edited by BarrelShifter

Guest Steve Cook
Especially when they find out the banks done a runner with a lifetimes worth of their savings. Then it gets personal!

Yes, quite so.... :lol:

I'm bloody sure I 'll take it personally

Edited by Steve Cook

Remember the poll tax riots?

We didn't have ubiqitous CCTV and "anti-terror" legislation to allow "trouble makers" to be disappeared held without charge for 42 days in 1991.

That's a poor reading of human nature. The video said that the first demos only took place after months of apathy. People get pissed off when they get hurt in their wallets and stomachs.

Three meals away from revolution and all that.

This is totally too true...

all those people I hear lamenting the UK's lack of national identity... and lack of any desire to rise up and seize the day... the reason for all these things is obvious... for a long time we have had things too darn good you cannot make a fat man beg for food after a hearty meal.

imagine this though... the average person has 7thousand times ****** all in savings. they could survive 56 days only without work....

that means 50% of the population has less than 56 days of savings.... so in less than 2 months you could get 30 odd million hungry thirsty angry brits... 'I predict a riot'

Somewhere out there in the vast nothingness of space,

Somewhere far away in space and time,

Staring upward at the gleaming stars in the obsidian sky,

We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea

Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,

But tonight, on this small planet, in England

We're going to rock civilization...

Why are you afraid? I'm not. You disagree with me. So what. You speak with the diction of a disapproving school mistress.

It's a turn of phrase. I would prefer it if were not nonsense, hence I am expressing my regret.

well the average person only has 56 days of savings..... and about a lifetime of debt... if people don't plan for a rainy day who fault is that?... Its not the fault of RBS/Natwest/HBOS/Barclays despite their best efforts to sell me crap i don't need and loans I don't want... at the end of the day every economic decision I made was my own. my bank is an ass but I never trusted em in the first place...

Edited by jonpo

imagine this though... the average person has 7thousand times ****** all in savings. they could survive 56 days only without work....

that means 50% of the population has less than 56 days of savings.... so in less than 2 months you could get 30 odd million hungry thirsty angry brits... 'I predict a riot'

You're an optimist.

56 days of savings are of no use if, like in Argentina, the banks pull down their shutters and you can't access your account.

Musical chairs.