House Price Crash Forum
UKguy1979

Your Thoughts Please?

Just some differences I've picked up on. When I look out my window everyone is driving relatively new if not new cars even the kids, there are no end of big 4x4's, bmw's, jags going by. Despite the big price increases in petrol you would not of thought it because it has had absolutely no effect on traffic volume. It can take 20 mins to cross the road by me. I think people would rather go with out food than not have fuel for their beloved cars.

Everyone has the latest mobile phones, laptops, mp3 players, flat screen tv's. Even fat single mums interviewed on bbc news moaning about having little money and yet they have money for fags, booze and always a 42" flat screen tv in the corner.

I walk past the pubs in this hot weather and they are heaving with people outside boozing.

In the 70's recession things were a whole lot different. When petrol doubled it caused the 3 day working week and inflation was running at 20%.

The economy has deteriorated but will need to to deteriorate a whole lot more yet for it to be called a recession.

Your thoughts please?

Just some differences I've picked up on. When I look out my window everyone is driving relatively new if not new cars even the kids, there are no end of big 4x4's, bmw's, jags going by. Despite the big price increases in petrol you would not of thought it because it has had absolutely no effect on traffic volume. It can take 20 mins to cross the road by me. I think people would rather go with out food than not have fuel for their beloved cars.

Everyone has the latest mobile phones, laptops, mp3 players, flat screen tv's. Even fat single mums interviewed on bbc news moaning about having little money and yet they have money for fags, booze and always a 42" flat screen tv in the corner.

I walk past the pubs in this hot weather and they are heaving with people outside boozing.

In the 70's recession things were a whole lot different. When petrol doubled it caused the 3 day working week and inflation was running at 20%.

The economy has deteriorated but will need to to deteriorate a whole lot more yet for it to be called a recession.

Your thoughts please?

Your thoughts please?

Face is incredibly important , even though the actual need for face has vanished

ie 100,000 years ago where people lived in tribes , being expelled from the tribe = death. thus we needed to look good to our peers and thus be allowed to stay within the tribe and thus survive, hence evolution has effectively selected those who save face.

(cited from an old peoples century programme which may not be correct).

Take for example the Chinese great leap forward famine, (there were other factors involved such as government mismanagement) , a communist party official high up would come and inspect the fields, sometimes even Mao would come out and inspect the fields.

People would heavily over report yield to save face and in the case of an actual visit they would tear up the rice from other fields and replant it in one field which usually killed the rice grasses , but face was saved , they would starve but face was saved.

Then the USSR split with China and asked for its loans back, which the communist government thinking they had such high yields of grain took everything away from the farmers.

Result? 30-70million people starved to death.

IMO we're (they're) running on borrowed time. Things have only just started to deteriorate. It doesn't seem that way for many on here because we're in the vanguard of bearish opinion.

Who was it who said 'you ain't seen nothing yet'. Just bear that in mind.

It's not going to change like day and night in the period of a couple of months, is it?

All that is happening is that more people are beginning to struggle. We're starting from a position of pretty high average personal income.

Edited by mirage

It's not going to change like day and night in the period of a couple of months, is it?

All that is happening is that more people are beginning to struggle. We're starting from a position of pretty high average personal income.

I think theres still a significant amount of credit card debt and other wriggle room available to most. They'll cancel sky, slow the broadband, cut down the mobile, cut down the food budget etc. before not being able to enjoy a pint down the pub on a sunday afternoon. The 'save face' thing is a very astute observation, some of my peers would go without food before having to drive a banger or move to a cheaper place.

It's when things really start cutting to the bone that the sheeple will start making noises. Especially when they are hit by insane gas, electric and car tax bills.

There are some, even working class whom have a lot of wealth.

You are 50, the kids have gone. You have paid off the mortgage a while ago and have 2x £35k coming in. that is £50k after tax and your outgoings are pretty low as you have no mortgage or rent to pay. You in affect have a lot of disposable income.

I know a few such people in this situation.

funney enough the children of these have such big mortgages they have very little spare cash not can they afford kids.

so while their parents drive in a new 25k car every 3 years and take two grand holidays a year the late 20s early 30s are putting off having kids longer and longer.

Edited by cells

we have pasted the peak of economic consumerism, and now its down hill

going a tad OT

I dunno I seem to be spending more on things, but notably things like tools which mean I can fix things cheaper myself....

just tossing up if I should do a valve clearance service myself which'll cost me £100 in tools and 2 days in labour.

or to get a mechanic to do it for £300 ,

its a hard complicated and dirty job which is easy to mess up and destroy your engine so I'm not sure about it,...

Your thoughts please?

Everyone i talk to regarding the present climate will relate a story or two about someone they know who is up to their necks in debt with no way out apart form renagging on paying ,credit card bills, loans , mortgages and overdrafts. So much so many people have is via credit and or mewing and it has got to the end of the line no more credit can these people obtain.

I notice that when i go out , and that had been reduced a lot lately the pubs are quieter, the restaurants half empty , the shops less crowded .I myself have put off changing the car this year and am not going to have the holiday I had planned and many people i know are canceling big purchases as well. It is happening

and buy the way (fat single mums are entitled to their FAGS ) LOL.

Guest Skint Academic

All the while people have a job then they will be OK. They may have to cut back on things like eating out and their Sky subscription to counter-act the rising cost of food and fuel when they find that their money isn't quite enough anymore. They'll moan a bit but that's all.

It's when they lose their job and find that they can't get another one that things will suddenly turn seriously bad for them.

There is an expensive restaurant in Mumbles that a few months ago you had to book well in advance to get a reservation. I am told that you can now simply wander in any night of the week, incl Fri & Sat, and get a table.

Coming home yesterday it suddenly dawned on me that every house in the road where I am renting has two cars and nearly all of them have at least one 4x4 - many of them those big Discovery jobbies. I was in Motorpoint this week and noticed they had a 1 year old Discovery in there for a fiver short fo 50K. You used to get a very nice house for 50K just 10 years ago.

Quite a few have fairly big motor-boats also or quite large water-ski jet type things.

I was in a VW dealership this week and they offered me 0% on a new car. I could not believe it. I asked the salesman to repeat his offer several times. I told him that I had never heard of VW offering 0% finance and that I had never seen it advertised. At first he said it was an offer that was on last quarter and, although ended, he would extend it for me. Later on, he said it was just something that his particular dealership was doing. Interesting huh?

In 1975 - average of 24.2% from my records.

It was "officially" estimated that inflation went to just over 28% at the peak in th 70s which, in any ones book, must be close to hyperinflation.

Are there people who believe inflation hasnt reached 20%? Do they mean ever? which is just stupid or do they mean over the last 12 years or so? in which case do they mean actual or official?

It's when they lose their job and find that they can't get another one that things will suddenly turn seriously bad for them.

Wont help that they will be losing jobs paying £30k+ and competing with good graduates willing to take £20k

Guest AuntJess
There are some, even working class whom have a lot of wealth.

You are 50, the kids have gone. You have paid off the mortgage a while ago and have 2x £35k coming in. that is £50k after tax and your outgoings are pretty low as you have no mortgage or rent to pay. You in affect have a lot of disposable income.

I know a few such people in this situation.

funney enough the children of these have such big mortgages they have very little spare cash not can they afford kids.

so while their parents drive in a new 25k car every 3 years and take two grand holidays a year the late 20s early 30s are putting off having kids longer and longer.

I must come from a different part of the country to you. :o I know of very few people who were collectively bringing in 50K pa after tax - in the North West - Mind you I mostly knew academics, who are not renowned for their vast incomes. :rolleyes: I can' help wondering if you view the 'other man's grass as greener', when it is nowt of the sort.

Being of advanced years :lol: I have seen much of life. I know what it is to be young, even tho I am far past that now. You seem to be cherishing ideas about others which have little basis in the world at large: As you say you know a few such people... I would suggest to you that it is VERY few.

If people are STILL drinking heavily and driving round in big cars, it is maybe because they don't know that the fat lady has not only finished singing, she is at home in bed with her curlers in. <_<

As someone succinctly commented " credit cards and stupidity"

Edited by AuntJess

Your thoughts please?

You don't live in Middlesbrough do you?

when was inflation ever 20% ?

Late seventies - around 25%. Interest rates rose to around 15% in the mid eighties and unemployment was around the 5 million mark.

I must come from a different part of the country to you. :o I know of very few people who were collectively bringing in 50K pa after tax - in the North West - Mind you I mostly knew academics, who are not renowned for their vast incomes. :rolleyes: I can' help wondering if you view the 'other man's grass as greener', when it is nowt of the sort.

Being of advanced years :lol: I have seen much of life. I know what it is to be young, even tho I am far past that now. You seem to be cherishing ideas about others which have little basis in the world at large: As you say you know a few such people... I would suggest to you that it is VERY few.

If people are STILL drinking heavily and driving round in big cars, it is maybe because they don't know that the fat lady has not only finished singing, she is at home in bed with her curlers in. <_<

As someone succinctly commented " credit cards and stupidity"

Hopefully I haven't given the wrong impression. I don't envy these people at all, I was just trying to point out that there are even those with modest jobs who have some 30-40k “spare” cash. This tends to be those in their 50s whom have paid the mortgage off , kids are gone and have little outgoings thanks mainly to no mortgage/rent.

well in the office i work in there are 4 inc me.

1 is 50 this year, one about 55 i think. me and the other fella are 22/23

the 55 year old gets about £35-36k and his wife is a teacher and they tend to average £35k pa and perhaps more.

they bought their VERY GRAND house in 2000 with cash (about 120k spent i think)

they have no mortgage and the only real outgoings are council tax, food, car. i would imagine they have some 35-40k cash spare pa.

they are pretty careful with money but do splash out on expensive cars every few years and good holidays but i would say they still save a large portion.

the funny thing is, their kids are relatively poor and i don't see them helping them much which i find strange. he recently bought a cheap laptop for his son as he couldn't afford one but neeeded one, second hand too....

he is a lovely guy but has plenty of wealth he could greatly help his kids with but they don't seem to do that.

the 50 yr old has paid off his mortgage this year and also gets 35k. his wife doesn't work. i am told he gives 10% of his wage to his church but some say 40%. either way he is a nice guy but again would have no problems with disposable income (if he didn't give so much of it to his church)

Edited by cells

well in the office i work in there are 4 inc me.

1 is 50 this year, one about 55 i think. me and the other fella are 22/23

the 55 year old gets about £35-36k and his wife is a teacher and they tend to average £35k pa and perhaps more.

they bought their VERY GRAND house in 2000 with cash (about 120k spent i think)

I don't think 4 people counts as a representative sample for the uk, rofl.

Your thoughts please?

...remember that recession well ...between 1971 and 1979 average UK house prices more than tripled...not quite the same parallel...so far..?.....it's all about timing....be careful of pundits assumptions... <_<

I don't think 4 people counts as a representative sample for the uk, rofl.

near enough everyone over 50 in the office/factory is in the same position. if their wives/husbands also work then they take home huge sums due to having no mortgage/rent to pay.

on the same note those that are 25-35 and bought homes in the last 3 years whom have kids and usually the wife doesn't work have very little income. Not to mention that they get paid less than the oldies usually doing the same or superior jobs.

those under 25 tend to rent and have little spare income

it is clear just by looking at the car park.