House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Carol Vorderman Leaves Countdown

Link

Ooh - take a 90% drop, or take a walk, lady.

Agent John Miles said Vorderman had been told the show had survived the death of host Richard Whiteley in 2005, and could "easily survive without you".

Not strictly HPC related I know, but since she did all those First Plus adverts telling people how they could get themselves up to their eyeballs in debt, I'm rather pleased to see it all going t1ts up for her.

Link

Not strictly HPC related I know, but since she did all those First Plus adverts telling people how they could get themselves up to their eyeballs in debt, I'm rather pleased to see it all going t1ts up for her.

i heard she doesnt have a a level in maths nor a degree.

Her contract was measured in millions.

Pure greed and it marks the completion of her sell-out to money making.

End of story.

Bye - not interested in people who think they are 'worth' such amounts.

Link

How will we ever survive without that fake laugh, and those thinking mans crumpet references :rolleyes:

Seems to me that they effectively fired her - the BBC article says that she offered to take a 33% cut in line with the programmes new budget, but they stuck to 90% or nothing. They must have known she wasn't going to accept it - being as greedy as she appears to be.

i heard she doesnt have a a level in maths nor a degree.

She has a third class engineering mathematics degree from cambridge.

Her job on "Countdown" requires the sort of mental arithmetic that a good 9 year old would have developed in the 1970's (though not today's nine year olds).

She has a third class engineering mathematics degree from cambridge.

3rd class? How on earth did she end up with one of those?

It's about time the BBC brought in some 90% pay cuts....but then again ,they don't have to because they can put people in prison for not paying the BBC tax. When will this unjust tax end? When people throw their televisions away .....?

3rd class? How on earth did she end up with one of those?

Pretty simple really, upon completion of her course her marks were higher than those warranting a Pass degree but not high enough to merit the award of a Second Class degree :unsure:

Pretty simple really, upon completion of her course her marks were higher than those warranting a Pass degree but not high enough to merit the award of a Second Class degree :unsure:

isnt a pass degree were you dont pass all the modules and 3rd 2nd 1st have passed all the modules. then again some 3rds are higher than other 3rds.

I find it quite interesting that people are not entirely clear whether Vorderman appears on BBC or not.

Says a lot about the BBC and whether it provides anything noticably different for its fee (it is in fact the most universal tax there is) or whether it simply bids up staff and programming costs and reduces audience ad. revenues.

I think everyone connects Countdown with Channel 4 but I must admit that I've just Googled to see if it has switched to BBC at sometime over the past couple of years. The point is that Channel 4 has to react to the commercial realities of falling advertising revenue, in a recession, advertising budgets are always cut are they not? The BBC can carry on regardless.

I see that Des O'Connor has also quit. I wonder why...

Seems to me that they effectively fired her - the BBC article says that she offered to take a 33% cut in line with the programmes new budget, but they stuck to 90% or nothing. They must have known she wasn't going to accept it - being as greedy as she appears to be.

I'm sure you are right about the firing. But realistically, how many people would accept a 90% wage cut?

The Firstplus ads were especially corrosive.

I have read that only 50% know what 50% means, I suspect less than 10% understand the costs of a Firstplus loan.

Many have trust in the likeable TV personality and would get a Firstplus loan thinks she would never give her blessing to a rip off.

Edit - poor English

BBC needs to fire a huge number of over-paid people, and get their budgets in line.

How long will the extortionate license fee/tax continue?

That may be true, but it's nothing to do with this thread since Countdown isn't on the BBC.

Many have trust in the likeable TV personality and get a Firstplus loan thinks she would never give her blessing to a rip off.

My thoughts exactly - I can see people thinking "If Carol Vorderman is advertising it, it must be a good idea."

Also, the Countdown age group who would find her appealing would be largely retired or semi retired - and therefore will find their debts a lot harder to pay off. I can see her becoming a bit of a hated figure before too much longer.

I can see her becoming a bit of a hated figure before too much longer.

A celebrity scapegoat basically for the whole credit bubble.

From Gordy down so many are involved and so few have spoken out against the evil of rampant lending at interest.

I'm sure you are right about the firing. But realistically, how many people would accept a 90% wage cut?

depends on what your starting wage was and what you can get elsewhere

if she was on 1m pa and went down to 100k pa that is a BIG drop, but for 2h work a day? when they could get any bimbo to do the job for 50k easy, some might even do it for free.

anyway im sure the good ole BBC has some spare cash to burn. send your CV now!

Jonathan Ross next I hope. How they can justify paying huge amounts of public money to these tossers I don't know. It defies belief.

As some people have pointed out here, what I find so deeply offensive about Carol Vorderman is the fact that she advertised those loans over the years, with the marketing people at the loan company obviously thinking that the average moron would say "well, she knows how to add up, so it must be a good idea - Carol would never lie to us!". It was a perfect example of how stupid these people must think we are.

iselldebtlj3.png

EDIT: Just to make clear I am not responsible for that pic - I found it on google.

BBC needs to fire a huge number of over-paid people, and get their budgets in line.

How long will the extortionate license fee/tax continue?

Jonathon Ross for a start a complete waste of money and a tosser to boot

Guest happy?
As some people have pointed out here, what I find so deeply offensive about Carol Vorderman is the fact that she advertised those loans over the years, with the marketing people at the loan company obviously thinking that the average moron would say "well, she knows how to add up, so it must be a good idea - Carol would never lie to us!". It was a perfect example of how stupid these people must think we are.

iselldebtlj3.png

I can remember Carol Vorderperson before she had Michael Jackson's face.