House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheer Heart Attack

Traffic Levels In Your Area

I'm sure this won't be the case in London, but I'd be interested to know about other cities.

Even before the start of the school holidays, traffic in Newcastle was 30%+ down on the year before, imo.

Has it slowed where you are? What could be the reason?

I'm sure this won't be the case in London, but I'd be interested to know about other cities.

Even before the start of the school holidays, traffic in Newcastle was 30%+ down on the year before, imo.

Well, I'm in London, but I drive up to Northampton each day. The traffic heading out my way is bad. The traffic coming the other way to Londo, a nightmare. So no, even outside of London the traffic hasn't dropped. At all. :(

Nomadd

I'm visiting my mother in London this weekend, and this morning undertook the now familiar ritual of driving her to Shikea (the one just up the road from the old Croydon airport). Normally it's a fight to the death to get a parking space there on a Saturday, but this morning I was astonished to find the car park half empty! Whether it's petrol prices, people cutting back on big ticket discretionary items (e.g. furniture) or whatever, the place was a lot quieter than usual. It was also full of posters announcing that a sale had been extended until the end of August.

The M5 into Birmingham and the M4 are noticably quieter and also there is not as many cars hammering down the fast line, all a bit more civilised at the moment I am glad to say.

No noticeable difference round my way (SW England). Some days seem quiet, others seem busy, like has always been the case.

School hols makes a lot of difference, and fridays are always quieter. Having said that still get the stressed out idiots on the road that think they own it, they have to get somewhere fast, sod you mate, I'm more important....just let them get on with it, knowing they will suffer from high blood pressure any time soon..such is life. ;)

Well, I'm in London, but I drive up to Northampton each day. The traffic heading out my way is bad. The traffic coming the other way to Londo, a nightmare. So no, even outside of London the traffic hasn't dropped. At all. :(

Nomadd

Depend Nomadd depends.

I commute in from Hampshire along the M3, into London on A316 and eventually join A4 at Chiswick. Journey time is 30% less than usual. M3 traffic (most days) less than a weekend - a relative joy. Its been like this for 6 weeks or so. Got even better as soon as the schools went on holiday.

Of course it always drops off sharply in the summer as folk go abroad.

So do I conclude everyone has taken to public transport or do I conclude that the stories about brits scrapping foreign holidays are fantasy?

Cambridge seems about normal for the time of year from what I've seen. Same for the trains into London too.

I remember what the roads were like during the big fuel protest a few years ago, when traffic got less and less and people, including me, were keeping to 50 mph where we'd normally have done 60. I remember walking to the local by-pass around midnight and there was virtually no traffic, which was spooky.

Nowadays the bypass at midnight is a racetrack for boy racers in seriously modded Subaru Imprezas, Mitsubishi Evos etc. Also hardcore superbikers do crazy speeds there - like 150mph. Where are the police when they're needed?