House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IP Newcomer

Poll: Would You Invest In But To Let

We did this a couple of years ago, just interested to see whether the newer intake skews the results. For the record I think it was a reasonably overwhelming yes then.

Does this include buying outright and letting, or just "borrow to let"?

Does this include buying outright and letting, or just "borrow to let"?

yeah. to buy 2 houses cash, and rent the other is a decent proposal, but to borrow to do that is a poor plan.

Not now, but give it two or three years and if the financing money is there to do it and the sums add up then yes I would buy some.. or maybe a lot.... if the market massively overcorrects which it may well do there will be quite a few people looking to get in as rental yields will once again have returned to a decent level and it will effectively be a one way bet again as the market will have bottomed out... I'm afriad however much people don't want it to happen again... it will if possible becasue when housing corrects to the bottom it does unfortunately become a very low risk, potentially high return investment once more... and the whole boom-bust process starts again.

The only ways this won't happen is if: lenders don't have the products available, the market hasn't fallen to the degree necessary, the process has been legislated against, rentals have fallen off a cliff etc......

For all those who want no more boom to bust (which I am in favour) unfortunately if the market overcorrects against trend then the likelihood is that another boom will come about to bring things back to trend or possibly beyond..... to avoid it we either need a long shallow drop this time so things even out at trend (unlikely in view) or some form of action when things get near trend in the next boom.

But certainly if things overcorrect and the financing is there and the rental sums add up then I would certainly put a decent chunk of money into buy to let.... I would enter into it though hopefull that I could avoid being greedy and get out before the top happens again and we sink into another crash..... a housing market that overcorrects leaves property being a one way bet again (other than in extraordinary circumstances)

No, as it would be a big but as to whether you would let it, maintain it, service it or could be bothered with the hassle and cost involved with it... have better places to invest, live is short. ;)

No, as it would be a big but as to whether you would let it, maintain it, service it or could be bothered with the hassle and cost involved with it... have better places to invest, live is short. ;)

Where is a better place to invest, just out of interest?

I tried that.

Ate a load of tenners. Still waiting for the golden egg to drop out the other end.

Why would you want a golden egg? You may as well eat your tenners, buying a buy to let now only consumes money. ;)

Why would you want a golden egg? You may as well eat your tenners, buying a buy to let now only consumes money. ;)

I think I got confused by all of the goldbug threads, and where they would hide their stash when the nasty people turned up.

I agree though, BTL is sooo 2003, and possibly 2011...

There is always a need for rental property and if you buy in a good area where you can rent out the property fairly easily then it will be a good investment.

I went to university in Leicester and when I was there student houses in the best area (Clarendon Park) were about 85k. I went back recently 8 years after graduation and they were going for £210k!

When they are back to around £120k I'd consider buying one to rent out. Would make a good pension :)

I think I got confused by all of the goldbug threads, and where they would hide their stash when the nasty people turned up.

I agree though, BTL is sooo 2003, and possibly 2011...

2003 we can see all that is behind us, history....2011 is in front of us, much can be done with the many opportunities that are with us today, waiting for the future for what might happen could be a waste of time.

Butt to let?

Well, I don't think I'd be very interested in getting into *that* business, but some of the MEW-BTL pillocks of the last few years might need to resort to it f they want to keep the range rover.

The poll is interesting. Looks like 2011 will be the year of the great Bull Trap as half of HPC.co.uk decide to ignore those loonies in the mainstream media who say that house prices only go down.

2009 is the Chinese Year of the Bull... wise man say mew to buy to let!

BTL ,is a pain in the **** , belive me i have done it . If you have cash and buy at the right price then maybe but borrowing to let is like borrowing to buy shares. That has never been looked on as a wise move.

Remember property is an illiquid asset , it can take ages to sell and is Dependant on many other factors, and other people who can change their mind before exchange of contracts. Win or lose you can sell a share over the phone in minutes deal done. With property you have to take in to account void periods , and pay 90% council tax when the property is empty. Worse still what if you get a tennant who refuses to pay can take six months to get to court , a clever tenant who knows how to play the system can drag it out for a year before being evicted , and all the time you are still responsible for the mortgage and any other costs. Propeties require a lot of maintenance which is time consuming and can leave a property vacant while being done. A share never phones you up and tells you the boiler needs fixing a tenant does.

More and more legislation is coming in all the time , requarding gas and electric saftey certificates, this is only going to increase over the years . Unless you are making massive rental and or capital gains i dont thind it is worth it at all.