House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Concrete Jungle

Government Borrowing V Gdp

I have recently seen a graph (on HPC I think) showing Government borrowing as a % of GDP going back to the 1945 / 1946. I have tried looking in the useful graphs and charts thread in off topic but to no avail. If anyone can help I would be much obliged as it will assist me in proving wrong a dyed in the wool Labour blind faither.

Many Thanks

BravoSierraDeltaEcho

Mods feel free to move as appropriate

*Edited due to Aurthur Guinness*

Edited by BeenieSiegleDesertEagle

I have recently seen a graph (on HPC I think) showing Government borrowing as a % of GDP going back to the 1945 / 1946. I have tried looking in the useful graphs and charts thread in off topic but to no avail. If anyone can help I would be much obliged as it will assist me in proving wrong a dyed in the wool Labour blind faither.

Many Thanks

BravoSierraDeltaEcho

Mods feel free to move as appropriate

*Edited due to Aurthur Guinness*

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/economic_dat..._statistics.cfm

Download the latest public finances databank and look at the net borrowing figures.

H.M Treasury have introduced a smokescreen of distractions, including current (i.e not capital spending) and cyclically adjusted borrowing averaged over the ec0onomic cycle etc....

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/economic_dat..._statistics.cfm

Download the latest public finances databank and look at the net borrowing figures.

H.M Treasury have introduced a smokescreen of distractions, including current (i.e not capital spending) and cyclically adjusted borrowing averaged over the ec0onomic cycle etc....

Historically net borrowing to GDP is not that high (2.9% forecast 2008-9 if you believe them), the worst deficits were during the early 1990s, and most of the 1970s. 1967-8 was also higher than today.

The problem is that we have just come out of 10 years of almost unhindered economic growth, yet the curve looks like the good times barely got going, and ended in 2000! (when NuLab really must have binned John Major's spending plans).