House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubble Pricker

Hole Causes Qantas Plane To "plunge"

Everywhere I see ridiculous reports of a Qantas plane "plunging thousands of feet" after a hole appeared in the hull.

What is wrong with our media? Why does everything get sensationalised? Of course the plane did not "plunge". It's a frigging standard procedure after a loss of cabin pressure to make a controlled descent to an altitude where humans can breathe and do not freeze to death. This would have been calmly executed by the pilots - a drill practiced thousands of times in simulators. In fact the pilots would first have asked ATC for a priority clearance to descend. And yet the Evening Standard screams that passengers were terrified whilst the "pilots fought to control the plane". Why do journalists just make this kind of stuff up? Why does nobody question this?

It is no wonder this country is going down the pan.

Rant over.

I't cos they want to turn us into thickie non-reasoning sensationalist media dependant sheeple Americans.

They're much easier to control than a sentient Brit.

TFH

I laughed when the BBC said yesterday that the hole was "The size of a car".

Today it was "10 feet". A Smart car then. Possibly. :rolleyes:

Guest anorthosite

It wasn't a plunge,

and if that had happened, people might comment on it.

I was going to use

but the dog seemed more fun ;)

At least it wasn't 2 peshed up Brits that caused the emergency landing

Unlike here...... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7527058.stm

Women try to open door mid-flight

Breaking News

A plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Germany after two British women tried to open a cabin door mid-flight, police have said.

The women, aged 26 and 27, were drinking heavily and had to be held in their seats by security staff until the plane landed in Frankfurt.

They were then arrested, a spokesman for the Frankfurt force said.

The flight was on its way from the Greek island of Kos to Manchester when the incident happened.

The incident happened at an altitude of 10,000 metres, according to Reuters news agency.

Hartmut Scherer, a spokesman for police at Frankfurt International Airport, said the women had become violent with flight attendants over Austria.

The 26-year-old woman is reported to have repeatedly tried to strike a flight attendant with a vodka bottle she had carried with her on the plane after the crew refused to serve the pair any more alcohol.

Reuters said she then tried, unsuccessfully, to unlatch a nearby cabin door.

"She evidently wanted to get some fresh air and tried to open the door, which obviously did not work," Mr Scherer is quoted as saying.

The women face charges of grievous bodily harm and violating air traffic regulations.

The plane later flew on to Manchester with a two-hour delay.

German media reported that the airline would charge the pair for the cost of the diversion.

A plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Germany after two British women tried to open a cabin door mid-flight, police have said.

And again sensationalism. This wasn't an "emergency landing". It was simply an unscheduled stop.

Whenever I hear of yobs on planes like that I wish the pilot would divert to Saudi Arabia or Singapore or some place like that where they'd get a proper punishment.

I think letting them go outside for a fag at that altitude would have been a fair chastisement.

And again sensationalism. This wasn't an "emergency landing". It was simply an unscheduled stop.

Violent louts threatening the safety of other passengers and crew qualifies as an emergency in my book. I agree that it wasn't an emergency in the sense of a mechanical or technical failure of the aircraft, but two people who are violent, out of control and may have the potential (however small that risk is, in reality) to injure members of the crew constitutes an emergency. So I think that description is a fair one.