House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
notfes

Save The Pennies

Just had a wicked fantastic camping holiday in Nth Yorkshire, took 4 man Tent, Pillows Chillerz Coolbag & Chillerz sheets for our food & drinks to be kept nice and fresh, lantern, midge coil sleep bags, cups saucers, basic cutlery, some candles, shorts and clothes had a great week, chilled, good chats, nature, skies ace, scenary and cheap too - loved it. My one concern after doing this a few years back was the food & drinks going off but bought a these australian products www.chillerz.com and they're ace! So, save your pennies from the expensive Euro-Zone and get out into the great British outdoors - Enjoy :D

I had a fear of camping a while back because I used to go on really crap camping holidays with my parents as a kid. However, they are far superior when you can sit out with a camp fire and some beers with a few mates.

I did a long-distance cycle to Cornwall last year and we had a support driver with a huge tent that all five of us could fit in easily. It was awesome, just riding through the countryside, finding some random little woodland to camp in and then just tossing back the beers for a week.

Camping in england can be great if the weather is good, but you need a crystal ball to predict the weather months in advance. If you have to book holidays and work around other commitments to get a holiday then it will more than likely be a miserable experience due to the weather. You are therefore better off planning well in advance and getting cheap flights to somewhere warmer, like I do. Camping is now reserved for weekends when the weather forecast looks good, we jump in the car and go for the weekend.

Shh! Don't tell everyone how lovely it is, otherwise they'll all be there, and it won't be quite so nice...

We love camping (although I refuse to "slum" it - so we take airbed, sheets, duvet and pillows - for a proper night's sleep), and find it more relaxing than hotels etc - it's one of the few times I really have the time to read all the books I promise myself I'll get round to reading!

Thanks for the Chillerz tip - hadn't heard of them before - are they really as good as they look?

Shh! Don't tell everyone how lovely it is, otherwise they'll all be there, and it won't be quite so nice...

We love camping (although I refuse to "slum" it - so we take airbed, sheets, duvet and pillows - for a proper night's sleep), and find it more relaxing than hotels etc - it's one of the few times I really have the time to read all the books I promise myself I'll get round to reading!

Thanks for the Chillerz tip - hadn't heard of them before - are they really as good as they look?

Waiting & Saving, absolutely we used them in Oz and they're fab as long as you've a good coolerbag or box your in business for up to a week, fresh food & drinks saving lots on bills!! :)

Waiting & Saving, absolutely we used them in Oz and they're fab as long as you've a good coolerbag or box your in business for up to a week, fresh food & drinks saving lots on bills!! :)

By the way have you been to their site? www.chillerz.com, because my cousin has just ordered who's a scout member and got free shipping! Glad to help ;)

We went camping a couple of months ago, cheap 4 person tent from Halfords, included 2 x airbeds 4 x sleeping bags, 2 x lamps.

Went for 4 days, rained for 24 hours and even started dripping through the tent at one stage, completely saturated but the other 3 days were glorious sunshine :blink: uk weather :lol:

Absolutely fantastic fun, even with the rain. Tent package cost £89 for everything. Pitch was £24 per night.

First time I have been since a child and I wanted my 5 and 7 year olds to experience the difference. they want to do it all the time now.

North Devon is wonderful ;)

Something very English about camping.

We went camping a couple of months ago, cheap 4 person tent from Halfords, included 2 x airbeds 4 x sleeping bags, 2 x lamps.

Went for 4 days, rained for 24 hours and even started dripping through the tent at one stage, completely saturated but the other 3 days were glorious sunshine :blink: uk weather :lol:

Absolutely fantastic fun, even with the rain. Tent package cost £89 for everything. Pitch was £24 per night.

First time I have been since a child and I wanted my 5 and 7 year olds to experience the difference. they want to do it all the time now.

North Devon is wonderful ;)

I haven't been camping for ten years. I went with four workmates and was told we would be sleeping in a four man tent. I said that's ok as I'm quite small so we'll probably fit in ok. Turned out to be a two man tent! So we had three in that and two in the car. No campsite would take us (no all male parties) so we ended up camping on a municipal playing field and got turfed off by a parkie at 8am.

I might give it another go though. £24 a pitch seems a lot - I realise it's cheap for families but for a single man I could get B&B for that.

Have to agree. That's because its the only decent place in Europe for camping. If you get a nice weekend there is nowhere better. Our grass is very comfy.

Abroad its just too dusty, too hot and too full of professional German and Dutch campers who make you look daft with your silly little green tent and crappy soft earth tent pegs when they wap out the massive Euro tents and send their missus over to wipe her sweaty hairy armpit in your face.

I haven't been camping for ten years. I went with four workmates and was told we would be sleeping in a four man tent. I said that's ok as I'm quite small so we'll probably fit in ok. Turned out to be a two man tent! So we had three in that and two in the car. No campsite would take us (no all male parties) so we ended up camping on a municipal playing field and got turfed off by a parkie at 8am.

I might give it another go though. £24 a pitch seems a lot - I realise it's cheap for families but for a single man I could get B&B for that.

Yep, you can get cheaper but this was a site that has superb entertainment/facilities for everyone, especially the nippers. Plus has it`s own private beach.

They do caravans and lodges etc but if you go in peak as you are forced to do when you have school kids it is actually good value for money. A lodge there in peak august will set you back a whopping £1500+ per WEEK :o

It is in Croyde bay and is a surfers hang out. I would imagine outside of school holidays the pitches will be a fraction of the price we paid.

For example I am going to the same site in October for a golf weekend and have booked a caravan and it is £110 for 3 nights for 3 x blokes. ;) less than £37 each

I suppose it`s not true adventure camping but it was a good opener for many more to come.

Sounds rather lovely and idyllic. Unfortunately Mr B isn't keen on the idea - I shall have to do some persuading.

That said, we did an English holiday earlier this summer in a belt-tightening effort and the crap weather only made us crave a foreign holiday more than if we'd not gone at all!

Just had a wicked fantastic camping holiday in Nth Yorkshire

A friend of mine recently came back from a camping holiday in North Yorks. He's got one of those trailer tent things, so it's not too disastrous if it rains.

Not really my cup of tea mind, but then I've never mastered the knack of taking holidays anyway.

<EDIT: Spelling>

Edited by Prydonian Renegade

That said, we did an English holiday earlier this summer in a belt-tightening effort and the crap weather only made us crave a foreign holiday more than if we'd not gone at all!

We had a weekend in Lyme in mid-February. Mr B was rather hoping for colossal stormy seas, huge waves crashing over the Cobb, bracing beach walks followed by large hot toddies etc.

Weather was unbelievable, like midsummer. Cloudless skies, flat calm blue sea, beach and cafes on the front all packed, kids running into the sea in their knickers.

Of course if we'd gone a couple of weeks ago it would have felt like February. :P

Guest anorthosite

I'mabout to have 2 weeks of camping with Mrs Anorthosite in the Scottish Highlands. We'll leave civilisation behind and wander into the mountains for days at a time. :)