House Price Crash Forum
Wannabe

Edf Raise Prices

Gas up 22% :blink:

Electric up 17% :blink:

Not good news for NuLiebor just as EDF take control of UK nuclear sites.

Mr Broon must be updating his CV as we speak... :lol:

edited to add that price rises are ith IMMEDIATE EFFECT

Edited by Wannabe

Good, this means they can buy more equipment from my firm. Happy days. Wait. Whats that? The rest of population have being selling pieces of paper to one another? Oh dear.

2 things crossed my mind when I saw the news:

1). Surely someone in govt would have told EdF NOT to announce any sudden price hikes today of all days, especially as they've just done the deal regarding British Energy (possibly a 'gagging' clause or a delay of Xx days /weeks or something).

2). If the British Energy deal IS NOT yet a done deal (i.e. contacts signed, monies paid etc.) should the govt now renogotiate the price for their share to reflect the overall cost the UK economy of todays price hike.

I suspect it's 1) rather than 2).

If so, just goes to show you how astoundingly inept this government is / has become at negotiating anything in the public interest.

Roll on the election. Can't say I'm looking forward to all the strikes and redundancy notices till 2010. Best to stock up on candles and wind-up torches / radios. Already got the gas bottles stored just in case and plenty of tins / jars.

Does anyone remember in the early 80's the nightly update on News at Ten showing job losses on a daily basis - wouldn't be surprised to see that on Sky soon (forget the Beeb - just a mouthpiece).

EDF, aka, Electricité de France (prop: The French Government) owns a fair chunk of the UK generating capacity and is trying to buy more. The cheeky frogs charge more for electricity in the UK than they do in France! :angry:

Power generation is very strategic. Having Sarky with his finger on our Off switch isn't good during international negotiations. "You vill hav ze Euro Constitution or ve vill turn off ze lights, Rosbif!"

Since January EDF has raised electricity prices by 32.1% and gas by 31.6%. If you are in energy poverty (10% or more of income spent on energy) that's got to be a massive strain. Let's hope it's a mild winter.

They'd been heavily trailing this for months, and then announced the news on the morning of the by-election result. EDF must have some ex-NuLab spin doctors on the payroll...

Gordo's brother is the head of Communications for EDF. Correct?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ju...bggroupbusiness

New figures from one of Britain's leading gas producers showing a 15% fall in wholesale prices over the past three months have raised questions about the need for big rises in household bills that have been heavily trailed by leading suppliers.

BG yesterday reported a 92% increase in second-quarter operating profits to £1.4bn but the group's chief executive denied it was profiteering on the back of British consumers. He said the group was paid 32.8p a therm over the quarter - 15% less than the previous quarter - for its wholesale gas supplies.

Shares in BG fell 6.5% to £10.66 as the City showed its concerns at the lower prices and a slowdown in production due to the Grangemouth industrial dispute and other issues.

As I keep saying the City is one of major causes of inflation. Rationally lower prices should be welcomed for creating good economic stability.

However stability means lower profits and that won't do for the City they want inflation to constantly increase profit, which is completely unsustainable.

The City is full of charlatans who are even worse than BTL brigade.

Gordo's brother is the head of Communications for EDF. Correct?

correct!

strange that nobody has raised an eyebrow over this - but apparently edf make financial contributions to the conservatives to ensure silence.

EDF, aka, Electricité de France (prop: The French Government) owns a fair chunk of the UK generating capacity and is trying to buy more. The cheeky frogs charge more for electricity in the UK than they do in France! :angry:

Power generation is very strategic. Having Sarky with his finger on our Off switch isn't good during international negotiations. "You vill hav ze Euro Constitution or ve vill turn off ze lights, Rosbif!"

Even more interesting is that only 2 weeks ago, Areva - the french nuclear people, ergo the French governemnt - were given a 5 year contract (as part of a consortium) to run the Sellafield Nuclear site in Cumbria.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7501470.stm despite the beeb spin, I doubt that Amec are the dominant partner.

So now they are sewing up the UK nuclear power industry for vertical integration.

Nuclear new build? Buy French reactors, fuel them with French fuel, run by a French utility and reprocessed under French management. Vive le France!

Quite true - we have a place nr. Cognac and have spent less than €300 in the last 12 months. Based on the fact that we've been there about 40% of the time, that extrapolates to roughly €750 p.a. or £600 a year. The market in France is heavily regulated and subsidised so a direct comparison is nearly impossible. It's described locally as a Social Market. Even at those sort of prices, many rural froggies / expats are installing solar/wood/ground pumps/air exchange systems to cut down on their bills.

when we move there permanently next year, we'll go for a solar hot water system for the simple reason that we will get an immediate 50% tax rebate from the french govt. Same goes for new insulated windows, doors and roof. Our total spend will be €40k and we'll get 50% back on the materials and fitting. The VAT rate of 5.5% on these improvements is not covered... so the net cost will be about €24k.

Now if NuLab did this in the UK, can you imagine the kudos attached to such a radical policy.

But no - we get more and more platitudes from GB and his ilk about'listening' and 'feeling the pain' :angry: :angry: . I felt physically violent towards the TV this morning when that stupid whining midget Hazel Blears appeared on the news in her role of Secretary of State for Patronising Bullsh1t.....

Edited by Wannabe

correct!

strange that nobody has raised an eyebrow over this - but apparently edf make financial contributions to the conservatives to ensure silence.

There are other mps families in other companies, some in the PPP ;) , labour are corrupt, sign off contracts to companies, family members are promoted to higher positions.

Can we stand this?

Yes, they are crooks, every one of them.

At this rate we will be a full fledged third world nation very soon. Extended belly's, flies on our noses and ears and mush for dinner if we're lucky.

And you know I'm not being funny either.

To have all of your necessities increase in price dramatically, all at the same time, it tends to make people hungry:

Cold

Homeless

Sick

Ragged

Desperate

Humiliated

Isolated

Stranded

Unemployed

Depressed

Please forgive me if I missed anything, I am certain that I did. ;)

Edited by poorman

Correct. France has the govt who control electricity and gas prices to a great extent.

Surely the UK party that wants to win the next General Election should campaign on re-nationalisation of gas/electricty and point to the French model as a great example of how to keep prices in check ? What's not to like ? ;)