House Price Crash Forum

Bet The Neighbours Are Pleased!

Bob Loblaw

HOLA441

My old area. I STR last September. The estate is typical shoebox with very small living rooms, garage taking up huge portion of ground floor, small gardens and poor outlook. To get here you need to drive through a drug addled very grim and dangerous council estate. Anyway, lots of houses for sale on the estate, most of them apparently 'rarely available'!

£174,950

Someone wants to sell cheaper!

Look at the price of this one though!

Bet the other sellers are happy about that one! Almost looks like a bargain until I think that I bought my 3 bed detached in 2003 in the same area for £74950. Plenty of room for further reductions I think

HOLA442
My old area. I STR last September. The estate is typical shoebox with very small living rooms, garage taking up huge portion of ground floor, small gardens and poor outlook. To get here you need to drive through a drug addled very grim and dangerous council estate. Anyway, lots of houses for sale on the estate, most of them apparently 'rarely available'!

£174,950

Bet the other sellers are happy about that one! Almost looks like a bargain until I think that I bought my 3 bed detached in 2003 in the same area for £74950. Plenty of room for further reductions I think

Fossildog, this is absolutely hilarious, well except perhaps for vendor number 1.

A really good and illustrative find.

HOLA443

Well spotted there. I'm surprised how little prices are moving in South Durham, but I suppose it depends on the exact location.

The houses that have sold where I live in west Darlington (Cockerton rather than West Park and Faverdale) seem to be going for the same price as last year but I think we are surviving because with people watching pennies the cheaper well built 1940's 3 bed semi seems better value when compared to the more expensive 3 bed rabbit hutch new build.

Of course the 60 newbuild houses being let to the Army for families returning to Catterick and the two temporary classrooms to accomodate the their children at Alderman Leach will not do West Park any favours when the families start appearing later this year.

Edited by eek

HOLA444
THE PROPERTY WAS PREVIOUSLY MARKETED AT £157,000.

NETHOUSEPRICE COMPARABLE SHOWS NO. 21 SOLD FOR £182,000 IN NOVEMBER 2007.

nothing smacks of desperation more that quoting peak Nethouseprice in 2007 and your previous price :P

HOLA445

£174,950

Well spotted. Those selling at the higher price have no chance do they. Or perhaps they have decking.

HOLA446

£174,950

The last one is being sold by the developers though! (Bellway) So no NE problems for them, and why they are quoting nethouseprices to "prove" that it is a bargain.

If you buy from a developer on a new-build estate, you know you'll never be able to sell until the last comparable unit has been sold, as they'll always undercut you, particularly if the market is bad & they need the money.

Edited by pepsi

HOLA447

£174,950

Do you have more...I'm still a bit hungry?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Wait till they quote the 2003 price!

13/06/2003 £94,750 Det. F Yes Map 21, Millwood, Chilton, Ferryhill, Durham, DL17 0RR

Yhey must be desperate to put this on the house details

THE PROPERTY WAS PREVIOUSLY MARKETED AT £157,000.

NETHOUSEPRICE COMPARABLE SHOWS NO. 21 SOLD FOR £182,000 IN NOVEMBER 2007.

The current price is 33% less No 21 sold for 8 months ago :blink:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Off-topic but a valid question nontheless;

Why do builders these days use up half the ground floor space of a house as a bloody garage?

No-one I know ever puts their car in the garage, instead leaving it on the drive. So why the garage? Surely the house would be a far more attractive proposition with an extra living room.

Most people just fill the garage with junk. A decent garden shed round the back would suffice for this.

This has baffled me for years.

HOLA4416

Why do builders these days use up half the ground floor space of a house as a bloody garage?

No-one I know ever puts their car in the garage, instead leaving it on the drive. So why the garage? Surely the house would be a far more attractive proposition with an extra living room.

Most people just fill the garage with junk. A decent garden shed round the back would suffice for this.

I agree. I think it comes from attitudes of years ago, when people treated their cars like jewels, and expected them to last most of a lifetime. Years ago the Sunday morning air was stiff with the smell of Turtle Wax, as proud owners eased their motors out of the garage for a full beauty treatment. I can even remember a sheepskin glove for lovingly polishing the car. Only car crazy kids seem to have this concourse-condition attitude now.

Half the 'garages' now are so small they barely fit a car, and end up (as you say) full of junk.

HOLA4417

I had a neighbour who converted their garage into a room and couldn't sell their house for 2 years because of this. That was the reason my neighbour gave anyway. So it seems they're still in high demand. I know my Dad has always said he would never buy a home that didn't have a garage.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Usually has something to do with planning, you need to show that each house/flat has room to park I think 3 cars.

But I agree with you, if I had one of those homes the garage would swiftly become a new room in the house and the car would be parked outside.

HOLA4420

£174,950

Hey Fossildog, I'm a Chilton boy. Been away for over 10 years now though. Is there a drug problem back home?

HOLA4421
Hey Fossildog, I'm a Chilton boy. Been away for over 10 years now though. Is there a drug problem back home?

Hi, No problem with supply, the local paper reports weekly about drugs being found, people being arrested under the influence etc. About the same story in most small ex-mining villages in Co Durham. Area round Ford Terrace/Byron Road is pretty grim, has been for years though. Which area did you live in Chilton? I lived there from 2003 to 2007. Its a funny place, similar to Ferryhill where you have new build estates full of people who commute and have very little to do with the village itself then you have the council areas where things are really bad still, wasnt long ago you could still buy houses there for under £30k, they are still under £50k now. The houses in my OP are accessed by driving down Ford Terrace or Keats Road so its not the most welcoming of entrances to an estate. I have moved to the outskirts of Darlington now and its a far nicer place.

HOLA4422
Hi, No problem with supply, the local paper reports weekly about drugs being found, people being arrested under the influence etc. About the same story in most small ex-mining villages in Co Durham. Area round Ford Terrace/Byron Road is pretty grim, has been for years though. Which area did you live in Chilton? I lived there from 2003 to 2007. Its a funny place, similar to Ferryhill where you have new build estates full of people who commute and have very little to do with the village itself then you have the council areas where things are really bad still, wasnt long ago you could still buy houses there for under £30k, they are still under £50k now. The houses in my OP are accessed by driving down Ford Terrace or Keats Road so its not the most welcoming of entrances to an estate. I have moved to the outskirts of Darlington now and its a far nicer place.

I was brought up in Coleridge road but please keep that very quiet :lol:

I bought a house in my early 20's in Ford terrace and although Chilton was a bit rough it was a good and happy place to be honest.

There was hardly any crime, maybe a bit of scrapping on a weekend down the club.

Last time I was back I had a look around Coleridge road etc and it wasn't pleasant.

Can't you sleep?

HOLA4423
I was brought up in Coleridge road but please keep that very quiet :lol:

I bought a house in my early 20's in Ford terrace and although Chilton was a bit rough it was a good and happy place to be honest.

There was hardly any crime, maybe a bit of scrapping on a weekend down the club.

Last time I was back I had a look around Coleridge road etc and it wasn't pleasant.

Can't you sleep?

Just back from a few months in Abu Dhabi and am jet lagged, wide awake at 5am so no cant sleep, whats your excuse! I think Chilton has probably gone downhill the past few years, as has the surrounding areas like Ferryhill and Newton Aycliffe. Tesco has opened in Aycliffe and the town centre now is like a ghost town. There is not much good paying work in the area unless you want to travel, lots of unemployment so lots of people with plenty of time on their hands and nothing constructive to do, hence the drugs and low level crime. Glad I got out to be honest, although I did like it when I was there as never had any bother and the people were generally friendly and happy.

HOLA4424
Just back from a few months in Abu Dhabi and am jet lagged, wide awake at 5am so no cant sleep, whats your excuse! I think Chilton has probably gone downhill the past few years, as has the surrounding areas like Ferryhill and Newton Aycliffe. Tesco has opened in Aycliffe and the town centre now is like a ghost town. There is not much good paying work in the area unless you want to travel, lots of unemployment so lots of people with plenty of time on their hands and nothing constructive to do, hence the drugs and low level crime. Glad I got out to be honest, although I did like it when I was there as never had any bother and the people were generally friendly and happy.

My excuse is I am in New Zealand so it's afternoon here.

My mother lives in Newton Aycliffe and she loves Tesco, but the town centre is horrid, well it always was , but it's even worse now.

Last time I was back i went to Eldon club to see a few people, and cocaine was for sale readily outside at 3 quid a go.

Different times from when i was a kid and smoking was the rage.

HOLA4425

It's about as useful as an en-suite in a 2 bed flat.