House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paddles

Income Multiples Vs House Prices

Mods, please shift this off the main board in a short while.

Sorry, but I can't find the graph plotting average salaries vs. average prices. I've tried searching but I've drawn a blank.

Can anyone put me out of my misery, please?

Sorry, but I can't find the graph plotting average salaries vs. average prices. I've tried searching but I've drawn a blank.

Do you mean house price vs. income?

Now, where did I put them ;)

Edit: if you have signatures turned off you won't see them.

Edited by Belfast Boy

Search through ExtraDry Martini's posts. He puts that chart in there a few times recently.

Also anything by "Scott": I seem to recall he has a slightly different one in his sig.

Edit to add: Of course you could just look at the post above. :)

Sorry Mr Boy.

EDM's goes back a long way and is a good indicator IMO

Edited by bobthe~

Do you mean house price vs. income?

Now, where did I put them ;)

Edit: if you have signatures turned off you won't see them.

Thanks muchly. It's like keys, they're always right in front of you when you lose them.

Is this the one you were looking for?

UK_HP_v_Av_Earnings2.JPG

I wanted to show Mrs B a couple of nights ago, but was blowed if I could find it - then it popped up accidentally earlier today; so I saved it to disk....

Nice piccie.

Best

B

post-13228-1216935996_thumb.jpg

so is average earnings a couples joint income?

That graph above looks more like 4 times earnings between the 2 red lines on average - so 20 grand x 2 and then x 4 = 160k for a house

That doesnt look to good for all those wanting their 70k houses does it?

Hopefully i am drastically wrong

it looks like a single person's gross. ISTR at the top of the market average prices were in the 200K range. So that would tie up with the 28-30K average gross figure that is banded about.

Search through ExtraDry Martini's posts. He puts that chart in there a few times recently.

Also anything by "Scott": I seem to recall he has a slightly different one in his sig.

Hi Bob

That I do.

Regards

Scott

so is average earnings a couples joint income?

That graph above looks more like 4 times earnings between the 2 red lines on average - so 20 grand x 2 and then x 4 = 160k for a house

That doesnt look to good for all those wanting their 70k houses does it?

Hopefully i am drastically wrong

It does not say the words 'joint' or 'household' in any of the graphs in this thread.

I'll give you a clue (as you obviously haven't got one) a graph based on joint incomes will have the words 'average joint income' on one of the axis, or maybe 'average household earnings'.

The graph from Office of National Statistics/Nationwide and the graph from the Telegraph, both show that after a boom house prices will return to between 3-4 times average single incomes.

So now, lets look at your calculations again, with the average UK single income of £24,000.

= average house price of between £72,000 and £96,000. (unless we get very high wage inflation, which does not look likey)

Edited by Belfast Boy

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...stics&st=90

How does disposable income fit into this, the average household income (which is very close to individual income see above for chart) has fallen as fiscal drag, increased taxes, inflation and commodity prices take hold

The chart is attached below:

House prices by individual income (pink) and by household income (blue)

(please ignore the y axis as I didnt get the scale right)

hpck5.gif

It does not say the words 'joint' or 'household' in either of the 2 graphs in my signature.

It doesn't give the any sources either, also forecasting from 1999?

Edited by maxwell

It does not say the words 'joint' or 'household' in any of the graphs in this thread.

I'll give you a clue (as you obviously haven't got one) a graph based on joint incomes will have the words 'average joint income' on one of the axis, or maybe 'average household earnings'.

The graph from Office of National Statistics/Nationwide and the graph from the Telegraph, both show that after a boom house prices will return to between 3-4 times average single incomes.

So now, lets look at your calculations again, with the average UK single income of £24,000.

= average house price of between £72,000 and £94,000. (unless we get very high wage inflation, which does not look likey)

I think you are forgetting the sound fundamentals, the shortage of property and the pent up demand.

I'm thinking of the effects of a recession - higher unemployment, higher taxes, higher costs of living. People will have alot more to worry about than house prices.

I'm thinking of the effects of a recession - higher unemployment, higher taxes, higher costs of living. People will have alot more to worry about than house prices.

was talking to a poor mate and we both came to the conclusion we'dbe ok cos we have always been poor.

the people that will suffer are the ones living a lifestyle they cannot in reality afford.

we were used to shit cars. chips and no tv licences already.

how could it be worse.

i once slept on a block of foam for 6 months and stole cheese i was so hungry.

in his first flat he bought a bed from a salford church sale that was black on one side !!

im looking forward to it.

2 classes. rich. poor. no middle class.