House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Converted Lurker

Obama, Well That Didn't Take Long Did It?

WTF was all that about? United Europe, Nato alliance versus Russia :blink: Aghanistan, more troops, Global warming...blah, blah... and did he really use the word "commie"...Christ on a bike, he'll really make a refreshing change eh? :( Writing was on the wall once he was anointed at the 56th Bilderberg Meeting in Chantilly, Virginia, but you just couldn't help hoping...

Well at least he managed to avoid telling Berlin that he is a jelly filled donut.

Or was it a hotdog?

I have never been able to get to the bottom of that one.

Well at least he managed to avoid telling Berlin that he is a jelly filled donut.

It's an urban myth propagated by people who don't speak German

Guest happy?
WTF was all that about? United Europe, Nato alliance versus Russia :blink: Aghanistan, more troops, Global warming...blah, blah... and did he really use the word "commie"...Christ on a bike, he'll really make a refreshing change eh? :( Writing was on the wall once he was anointed at the 56th Bilderberg Meeting in Chantilly, Virginia, but you just couldn't help hoping...

And if he doesn't get elected that conspiracy theory's fvcked, presumably you'll be along very shortly with another to explain why he wasn't elected though.

And if he doesn't get elected that conspiracy theory's fvcked, presumably you'll be along very shortly with another to explain why he wasn't elected though.

oh no,no,no,no,no....

the writing is on the wall now!!

..vote obama......we gat handbags with the russians and the muslims.

vote mccain...he's a war vet,he can stand up to those commies and ragheads.

oh dear.this ain't gonna be pretty.

Guest An Bearin Bui
Or was it a hotdog?

I have never been able to get to the bottom of that one.

It's all just an urban legend: JFK never made a slip-up. He said "Ich bin ein Berliner" - "I am a Berliner", which was correct for the context of his speech because it implies he was empathising with the Berliners saying "I'm a Berliner too / I'm one of you" so no-one listening to his speech would have misunderstood what he was saying in context.

Taken out of context though, it could mean "I'm a jam doughnut" and "Ich bin Berliner" (no 'ein') is correct if you're just telling someone you're from Berlin in a non-figurative / rhetorical way... language, eh?

He has been accepted as one of two who are now deemed worthy to 'carry the torch'/tow the line, TBH at least McCain is straight, Obama is furiously back peddling even before the election is under way. The whole process sickens me, presumably it all come down to Jeb Bush anyhow.... <_<

You would have to something of a pedant to not appreciate the funny side of the play on words that appeared in German newspaper cartoons.

Presumably this'll be why German politicians don't make their major international relations speaches in Shitterton...

spoilsport ;)

"So, while the proper way for a Berlin native to say "I am a Berliner" is "Ich bin Berliner," the proper way for a non-native to make the same statement metaphorically is precisely what Kennedy said: "Ich bin ein Berliner." In spite of the fact that it's also the correct way to say "I am a jelly donut," no adult German speaker could possibly have misunderstood Kennedy's meaning in context."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historica..._berliner_2.htm

Whilst I'm not expecting Obama to change the world, I prefer him over McCain.

He is one of those guys who can make a great speech without saying too much. He comes across as being passionate about what he is talking about.

I think his heart is in the right place though, or seems to be.

He is one of those guys who can make a great speech without saying too much. He comes across as being passionate about what he is talking about.

Is that why he banned any placards from the rally? We´ll have no dissent please. Remind me what country he was visiting again?

Is that why he banned any placards from the rally? We´ll have no dissent please. Remind me what country he was visiting again?

Linky?

Hadn't heard that....

As a quick edit, after just watching it on newsnight, there does seem to be a few placards there.

I first became aware of him approx. 3 years back, you think (simplistically), "hmm this could get interesting, a black guy for president, gotta be good"; under dog, human rights, justice, empathy... The only major noises from him at the time were in relation to "get these troops back now", an issue that Pelosi went quite on very quickly also. Listening to him on his 'tour' today and particularly his nauseating rhetoric of yesterday supporting Israel unequivocally, sickens me quite frankly. He couldn't be tied down on many issues during his faux battle with Clinton, which was deliberately stretched out by the media to see how he'd wash up in public. Kept hoping he'd have some real grenades in his locker once the Clinton issue was over...nope...same old shit..."change change change"...to what precisely, you Barack, is that it? Also strikes me as being completely out of touch with Europe's mood towards the US....

http://infowars.net/articles/july2008/220708Obama.htm

Me the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Well, I don't have a vote, so it doesn't really matter either way. As I've said, I prefer him over McCain. Hopefully he will win, we'll just have to see how it plays out. I think I am much more cynical now than I was when I was younger. Maybe that's a given? :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was assassinated at some point though.