House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0q0

Any Way To Make A Covert Tape Recorded Conversation & Contract

No bleeps, no warning of any recording given, but is there any way I can use the taped evidence in a small claims court to recover losses in a civil dispute with a slippery trader?

No bleeps, no warning of any recording given, but is there any way I can use the taped evidence in a small claims court to recover losses in a civil dispute with a slippery trader?

no...but you can put it on youtube, and accidentally drop a fews hundred pamphlets around their shop with the link on

<_<

no...but you can put it on youtube, and accidentally drop a fews hundred pamphlets around their shop with the link on

<_<

chuckle mmm ;)

How do you do it? What do you need?

BTW I imagine the 'threat' of proving that someone lied or actually said such and such might be enough to get a result.

Failing that shame the bugger!

A lawyer's view:

There is no rule that any evidence can't be used in a civil case. There is in fact a public policy requirement that claims before a court should be tried on all the available relevant evidence.

Trying to anticipate some arguments against you, there may conceivably be some public policy reason the landlord could point to for why the tape should be inadmissible. For example, if he is a private individual rather than in business as a BTL'er as such (especially if the conversation took place in his home) he might succeed in showing that his human right to respect for his family life would be breached if the recording was used in a court. Even then, you could argue that what is on the tape is so important to the case that your right to a fair trial would be prejudiced if it was ruled inadmissible

I can't imagine on what other grounds a landlord would show it was inadmissible.

So go ahead and make the recording. As tinker says, the knowledge that you have it should be enough for him to tell the truth.

But if you have other issues on which your evidence differs from his and it's his word against yours on those issues, I would be minded to keep the recording up my sleeve until after he has told a lie in a witness statement that the tape disproves. That way, you can bring out the recording, which will now not only do the job of disproving what it can, but also showing him to have lied and therefore that your evidence is to be preferred on those other issues. If you come out with it too soon, he might tell the truth about what's on the tape but lie about the rest.

good luck!

Transcribe it and say the transcription is a contemporaneous note of the conversation. If the other side disputes the accuracy, then whip out the actual recording and see what the judge decides.

A lawyer's view:

There is no rule that any evidence can't be used in a civil case. There is in fact a public policy requirement that claims before a court should be tried on all the available relevant evidence.

Trying to anticipate some arguments against you, there may conceivably be some public policy reason the landlord could point to for why the tape should be inadmissible. For example, if he is a private individual rather than in business as a BTL'er as such (especially if the conversation took place in his home) he might succeed in showing that his human right to respect for his family life would be breached if the recording was used in a court. Even then, you could argue that what is on the tape is so important to the case that your right to a fair trial would be prejudiced if it was ruled inadmissible

I can't imagine on what other grounds a landlord would show it was inadmissible.

So go ahead and make the recording. As tinker says, the knowledge that you have it should be enough for him to tell the truth.

But if you have other issues on which your evidence differs from his and it's his word against yours on those issues, I would be minded to keep the recording up my sleeve until after he has told a lie in a witness statement that the tape disproves. That way, you can bring out the recording, which will now not only do the job of disproving what it can, but also showing him to have lied and therefore that your evidence is to be preferred on those other issues. If you come out with it too soon, he might tell the truth about what's on the tape but lie about the rest.

good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to explain that all to me, very clear. (In the 80s I used to have a pair of Y-fronts like your avatar btw!)

Transcribe it and say the transcription is a contemporaneous note of the conversation. If the other side disputes the accuracy, then whip out the actual recording and see what the judge decides.

Thanks, that too sounds viable,

- much appreciate the replies.