House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
miffy

Wise Old Sages...renting?

buongiorno

the omnipotent presence of miffy is posting for some more drops of wisdom from you wise old sages. you told miffy not to buy back in april n miffy is extremely grateful that she does not now find herself in 40k of debt.

enough talking about myself in the third person....

ok so i've been reading some of your predictions on how the crash will affect the rental market. naturally, and like many, now that i cant buy i HAVE to rent. so some of u have suggested that although rental prices are rising they will eventually flatten out due to oversupply, is that correct?

i've been getting a real sense of deja-vu this last 2 months-everytime i ring up about a rental property it's magically gone on the first day it was advertised! so what should the young, naive and clueless miffy do...? should i ride this one out and wait til later in the year or pay the currently overinflated price that the b*t*rds are demanding?

it really is a fat cat's world these days...

oh wise ones, counsel me well!

maybe it's because i'm looking at flats/apartments but there is nothing even remotely acceptable for 600 a month.

What about shared accommodation?

i.e. Renting a room in a house, it's not for everyone but it would save you a lot of money each month that can go towards your deposit.

i live in south west belfast at the mo, but admittedly i have the west mentality...i don't want to move too far from the ghetto!

north and east are completely ruled out because it would take too long to commute to work.

youngFTB i appreciate that shared accommodation is a very sensible idea but it's me and the boyf n we need our own space. so frustrating... can't buy or rent cos of ridiculous prices! the landlord wins every time! tuh!

maybe it's because i'm looking at flats/apartments but there is nothing even remotely acceptable for 600 a month.

Why not rent a house? Ours is a nice 4BR larger terrace, only £550.

BTW, rent ads on PropertyNews may be outdated. Look for fresh ones (although fewer) at belfast.gumtree.com and www.daft.ie (there may be other sites, but these are the ones I know).

Edited by Sogy

I would certainly recommend renting when house prices are going down, I would say my gut feeling at the moment is that rents will come down and any LLs that are putting them up are obviously highly geared having bought recently. The answer to them is to not rent from them, and move out if they are asking too much at renewal time.

I have to say £600/month in West Belfast is not what I expected. East Belfast I would be say £500/month buys a very nice place in a very nice area. There was even a 3 bed detacted/garden/Garage near Thornhill Park for £550. There are some silly show type apartment developments that are good and close to the centre that cost more, but plenty of choice IMO. I had expect West Belfast to be alot less.

i live in south west belfast at the mo, but admittedly i have the west mentality...i don't want to move too far from the ghetto!

north and east are completely ruled out because it would take too long to commute to work.

youngFTB i appreciate that shared accommodation is a very sensible idea but it's me and the boyf n we need our own space. so frustrating... can't buy or rent cos of ridiculous prices! the landlord wins every time! tuh!

No worries ;) Good luck finding a place Miffy

hilarious update

had an appt to view a new build apartment tomorrow morning but EA rang to say that although the developer has rented out all the other apartments in the block (6 in total) he's going to keep the last 2 and try to sell them instead of renting. current asking price £230,000! he obviously has a few bob that he can afford to let those 2 apts sit dormant for the next year or 2! that is of course unless he decides to radically reduce his asking price. WTF!

disappointed tho...i thought this apartment was THE ONE!