House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Worcester

Anyone keeping an eye on what is happening in Worcester?

Worcester is on my list of places for potential buying - when the time comes.

I noticed today that 2 of Worcester's Estate Agents have been removed from Rightmove, including all their properties. The 2 Estate Agents are:

- Town & Country Poole & McGinn (Worcester) ..... interestingly the Redditch Town & Country Poole and McGinn is still on Rightmove

- Williams Estate Agents (Worcester) .... Williams Estate Agents (Hereford) has also been removed from Rightmove

Anyone know why these 2 Estate Agents have been removed from Rightmove? If it had only been one I would have suspected that they might be closing down, but it seems odd that 2 different Agents in Worcester have been removed on the same day and one still has their Redditch branch on Rightmove.

Any knowledge or suggestions about what is/might be going on?

Also, anyone got any insight/knowledge about the various Estate Agents in Worcester. For example, which ones are the more trustworthy, which ones have bad reputations for games playing, etc? In other locations i am noting that some Estate Agents are being open and realistic about the state of the market and are suggesting that asking prices be ignored and that they will try to get a result with any kind of offer. Other Estate Agents are still trying to sell the line that the market is stable, prices are realistic and it is all about to start rising again. They stick to this line, like a broken record, even when you politely make clear that you know a great deal about the market and economics, etc. Daft!!! Just plain daft!!!!!!!!

Although I have asked about Estate Agents in Worcester specifically, any other thoughts or insights about the Worcester market would be most welcome.

Anyone keeping an eye on what is happening in Worcester?

Worcester is on my list of places for potential buying - when the time comes.

I noticed today that 2 of Worcester's Estate Agents have been removed from Rightmove, including all their properties. The 2 Estate Agents are:

- Town & Country Poole & McGinn (Worcester) ..... interestingly the Redditch Town & Country Poole and McGinn is still on Rightmove

- Williams Estate Agents (Worcester) .... Williams Estate Agents (Hereford) has also been removed from Rightmove

Anyone know why these 2 Estate Agents have been removed from Rightmove? If it had only been one I would have suspected that they might be closing down, but it seems odd that 2 different Agents in Worcester have been removed on the same day and one still has their Redditch branch on Rightmove.

Any knowledge or suggestions about what is/might be going on?

Also, anyone got any insight/knowledge about the various Estate Agents in Worcester. For example, which ones are the more trustworthy, which ones have bad reputations for games playing, etc? In other locations i am noting that some Estate Agents are being open and realistic about the state of the market and are suggesting that asking prices be ignored and that they will try to get a result with any kind of offer. Other Estate Agents are still trying to sell the line that the market is stable, prices are realistic and it is all about to start rising again. They stick to this line, like a broken record, even when you politely make clear that you know a great deal about the market and economics, etc. Daft!!! Just plain daft!!!!!!!!

Although I have asked about Estate Agents in Worcester specifically, any other thoughts or insights about the Worcester market would be most welcome.

We bought from Alan Morris back in 2003 for £169k in a village 2 miles outside Worcester now I have to move with my job and don't know if to sell or rent. I personally feel Andrew Grant was v. rude. Alan Morris is the best and price reasonably. There is also a guy that does all the legal stuff from his home we used him and it was 50% less than a normal solicitor. He is in Harrow (number in yell.com) I would hold off buying now to be honest. I can see them dropping big time. Our house was valued at £220k rental £725 last week so we are going to rent it out as I dont think we will reach £220k plus I want to come back at some point in my life. I would rent rather than buy if I was you. Plus, I would only live in a village not the main town as it is a much better lifestyle etc

Edited by mini28

Thanks clocker and mini28.

I see that Williams Estate Agents have been removed from Rightmove yet again. Anyone know what is going on? Last weekend when talking to some of the Worcester Estate Agents that I have built up some rapport with I tried to do some digging about the Williams situation. Didn't get much info but one Estate Agent did say that Williams are a very small outfit that are new to Worcester. In fact they opened up in Worcester a month or so after Northern Rock. How daft is that???!!!! They expanded and exposed themselves to huge amounts of risk at a time when they should have been consolidating and strengthening their position as much as possible - schoolboy error!

Anyone else got more info about the varoius Estate Agents and the market in Worcester? Worcester, like elsewhere, seems to be overpopulated with Estate Agents. I'm sure there will be a thining out of this population over the next 12 to 18 months.

Williams opened up in Hereford about 4 years ago and rapidly increased their business - they are now very aggressive, selling lots of low prices and btl properties. The Hereford branch has never been on Rightmove so I am v. surprised that the Worcester branch ever was. Have to say, I wondered also about the wisdom of opening up in Worcester last year in view of what was to come. However, in the Hereford office they have always had a fairly skeleton staff - no idea of the staffing ratio in Worcester.

Thanks ginnie.

For the last 2 to 3 weeks Williams Estate Agents (Worcester branch) have remained absent from the Rightmove website.

I note today, that on the Williams Estate Agents own website all the Worcester property listings have been removed whilst the Hereford ones remain.

Are Williams Estate Agents closing down their Worcester branch?

It wouldn't surprise me as they are the Estate Agent that made the school boy error of expanding their business into Worcester just after the Northern Rock fiasco exploded onto the national consciousness last Autumn.

Any Worcester people know what is going on?

Hi Alfie

Agreed, looks as if the Worcester branch of Williams has gone. Richard Williams, formerly a manager with Russell Baldwin and Bright, snooty, upmarket(!!!) agents in Hereford was, I thought, very personable and fairly sensible to begin with. But, as you say, looks like a classic case of naivety and over optimism. Have to be careful what I say, he sold my house for me when he started Williams and gave me a very good deal at the time!

I'm going to be in Worcester on Saturday coming, so I'll walk by to check the situation with Williams. It doesn't surprise me at all as the Worcester market has been dire all year so far and will probably only get worse, as with everywhere else. I have been tracking the stock/listings of quite a number of the Worcester Estate Agents for quite some time and many of them are not even selling the average 1 property a week recently reported in the national press. Many seem to be going for many weeks without selling anything.

In regards to Williams I am not surprised that they are one of the first Estate Agents to close down in Worcester (which has far too many of them!!) considering their business model. They advertised a £1.5k set fee which undoubtedly would attract many sellers. Whilst concentrating on getting as many properties on your books works well in a booming market - because the properties sell themselves - it is a disastrous model to use in a falling market. Williams were basically concentrating on getting properties on their books and forgetting to 'sell' the properties. In a falling market the main part of your efforts need to go into the 'selling' part of the equation - including of course negotiating asking price reductions. The staff I talked to in Williams were also rather pathetic and stuck to the 'Worcester is different', 'Worcester is going to continue to boom' mantra. So, this combined with their business model was inevitably going to spell disaster for them sooner or later. Other Estate Agents (that I have built up some rapport with) have said indirectly (and some even directly) that that they thought Williams were amongst the most vulnerable outfits in Worcester.

Wonder how their Hereford business will hold up? They are at least more established down there.

Edited by Alfie Moon

Before closing down Williams Estate Agents, in Worcester, had about 58 odd properties on their books (a couple SSTC). I wonder which agencies will now pick up the business from these (hopeful) vendors? I imagine that this might push some vendors to give up on trying to sell whilst others will approach other Estate Agents in Worcester. I also wonder if the vendors were given any notice or whether it has just come out of the blue for them. I also wonder what will happen to the Williams Worcester branch staff. I can't see other Agencies in Worcester, or indeed elsewhere, crying out for new staff - more likely in the process of cutting staff numbers. Also, the Williams (ex) staff are going to be tarred with the failure of the Williams branch closing down - as I indicated below I was far from impressed from my meetings with them and can see how they probably contributed to the failure of the branch. However, perhaps their morale was low as they knew that the inevitable was coming?

I wonder if Richard Williams will change his business model for the Hereford branch or whether he will commit business suicide by sticking to the same old approach? The Worcester venture must have been a very costly mistake at absolutely the worst time for the business for it to happen.

Anyone else seeing Estate Agency closures here in the West Midlands?

eye.. I live very close to EA central ;p IMHO there is a massive over supply of EAs in Worcester, just look at foregate street.

Does anyone have any gossip on the developments down diglis? everything seems very static when I was last down there....

Edited by moosetea

My relatives have used this firm a few times and have found him (Mr Rozier) very honest and easy to deal with.

http://www.spencerandcompany.co.uk/

a mate had trouble with them on the lettings side.... I bought through Andrew Grant, they seemed fine from a buyers perspective. Premier Places are the expensive EA with higher fees and better office, however they appear to sell a little faster than others even at higher prices.

Edited by moosetea

Walked past the Williams Estate Agents office in Worcester on Saturday morning - I should say ex-office. It has indeed been closed down and emptied out except for a couple of cold drinks storage cabinets.

I think I've only seen one of the 50 odd propertries Williams had on their books pop up on the books of other Worcester Estate Agents. I wonder how long it will take all the other ones to find alternative Estate Agents - if indeed they bother to do so.

From my monitoring of Worcester Estate Agents August has been absolutely dire. Many seem to have only sold 1, maybe 2 properties this month whilst others have not sold anything (and some of these have even had 1 or 2 SSTC return to being Available). I guess this could produce some very peculiar statistics about prices in Worcester for August. Will there be skewing effects all over the UK due to lack of activity in the market?

Passed the ex-Williams Estate Agents office, on Foregate Street in Worcester, and saw that they have been back to collect the cold drinks cabinets (perhaps they have been reposessed??!!).

I also saw that the Hunters Property Group Estate Agents has closed down - completely empty office. Anyone know when Hunters went out of business in Worcester?

I'm sure that there will be quite a few closures by Spring of next year. The Estate Agents in Worcester are having a really tough time. Many of the Estate Agents that I monitor in Worcester only sold 2 properties during August - so not keeping up with the national average of 1 property a week. A few even went the whole month without selling any properties at all. One or two managed to sell (SSTC) 4 properties but also had a couple properties return from SSTC to being Available again - so in effect only had 2 (potential) transactions during August.

When will the Estate Agents, and indeed vendors, realise that the amount of credit does not support the asking prices currently being advertised by a long stretch. They desperately need to cut asking prices by 20% to 40% in order to get some movement in the market. Meanwhile, through their own inaction they are putting themselves out of business.