House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Call To Limit 2nd Homes In The Countryside

I agree Badger.But limit them to who ? Most second homes in my area are basically an on the side holiday let business. Whilst local young couples are herded into shoe box sized community housing estates.If they are fortunate enough.This time of year for me is hell to be honest.Massive ego driven tards pushing and shoving thier way around my beautiful home. socialite magazines with the so called who,s who of the area,when they only descend on the place when the sun shines. Never seen a local face in them. Oh and the fact a pint of beer now costs more here than it does in the west end, all year round. Fatal car accidents unheard of out of season.

What absolute tosh. I absolutely guarantee that were this implemented that in 8 years' time, when houses are lying derelict and unsaleable that there would be desperate calls for repealing any such law.

In any event, planning isn't retrospective, and the houses that are currently second homes would continue to be second homes, and would sell at a premium to those with restricted ownership.

I know; let's nationalise the entirety of our housing stock. Grrrrrrrreat idea.

I wouldn't worry sparko.

Second home ownership will be the most unfashionable thing in the world over the next few years. Even first home ownership is going to be a drag.

The market will fix all these abuses in time.

What absolute tosh. I absolutely guarantee that were this implemented that in 8 years' time, when houses are lying derelict and unsaleable that there would be desperate calls for repealing any such law.

In any event, planning isn't retrospective, and the houses that are currently second homes would continue to be second homes, and would sell at a premium to those with restricted ownership.

Its what the planners, leaders and residents of all the national parks want and have fought for for years.

Also the houses won't be derelict or empty they will simply have a slightly lower price compared to houses with holiday home permission. And of course houses that are left empty for 6 months can be compulsory purchased and then resold on in that market.

I agree - this is nothing more than a ploy to ensure that the value of the existing stock is maintained by restricting future supply. No doubt many of those proposing this change own holiday homes themselves. :angry:

I don,t recall back in the sixties,any derelict housing at all.We did have a community though.shops, post offices,locally produced and caught food.O.k some properties were modernized,but most second homes in my area are new builds or bad attempts at barn conversions.

Maybe this is a Cunning Ploy to help sell all those 2nd homes currently languishing on the market before any such legislation comes in.

No doubt quite a few MPs and cronies are trying to offload at the moment.

I agree - this is nothing more than a ploy to ensure that the value of the existing stock is maintained by restricting future supply. No doubt many of those proposing this change own holiday homes themselves. :angry:

Not sure you understand. Most holiday homes are businesses. If I want to change my house into a shop that sells polished dog turds then I would have to apply for planning. If half the people in the whole village then looked at my successful idea and wanted to do the same, people would say whoa. Don't we have enough polished dog turd shops here already? And appeal.

Holiday homes are no different to polished dog turd shops. A few are ok but we need to limit the quantity as the polished dog turd market is seasonal and half the year the town would be empty.

PS I had never even known about the polished dog turd market before I came on HPC

Maybe 2nd home owners should pay council tax on all of their properties.

I've got no problems with people buying a handful of houses around the country/world - if they are successful, work hard and produce for the country then they should enjoy the fruits of their labour. However, they should pay the same as everyone else for their houses. If they can afford a 2nd, 3rd holiday house then they can afford to pay full council tax.

There is something else to consider too.

I would imagine a high number of these homes are rented out to tourists, I don't know about anyone else ut when I'm on holiday I spend alot more than if I was at home. So a consideration would be a potential reduction in revenue which would lead to unemployment, lower house prices etc etc

As I've said before - as long as this also applies to people who live in the countryside but come up to Town 3 days a week for work.