House Price Crash Forum
ʎqɐqɹǝʞɐɥs

Location Location Location 23/07/2008

I'm surprised there has been no outrage on here tonight to the 2 couples being influenced to buy two very expensive properties at the peak of the market last summer. It was obviously filmed early last year at the peak as Phil returned in March 2008 for his lovely follow up segment. One couple, both doctors not even in their 30's, spent £750,000 which was at least £50,000 over their original budget, while another who had been putting off buying for 2 years were influenced into a £250,000 dump. Where do these people get these amounts of money? How do they expect the have a family and support themselves? It just dumb founds me.

I'm sick of all this irresponsible unregulated crap on TV.

They firstly apply to be on the show and go for an interview, secondly no one forces them to part with their beer tokens.

So bottom line tuff shit I hope they come on here crying that immigrant doctors have brought the average wage for doctors down to 3rd world levels.

$750K in their early 30's that's not right/fair I suppose it's the free market that affords them their slaries it's the same free market that will result in trhem losing 250 grand.

I'm surprised there has been no outrage on here tonight to the 2 couples being influenced to buy two very expensive properties at the peak of the market last summer. It was obviously filmed early last year at the peak as Phil returned in March 2008 for his lovely follow up segment. One couple, both doctors not even in their 30's, spent £750,000 which was at least £50,000 over their original budget, while another who had been putting off buying for 2 years were influenced into a £250,000 dump. Where do these people get these amounts of money? How do they expect the have a family and support themselves? It just dumb founds me.

Maybe this site is not the place for your outrage. Have you informed the relevant tv broadcaster how outraged you are? I saw the last fifteen minutes of it, and could not believe what they were spending. But then I have always thought that about such programmes. As for where they get the money, I think that when I just look around everyday and see how people live, what they drive and so on. I am finally beginning to work it out :unsure:

They did say that the £750,000 house had not risen in value at all in the year that they had bought it - and that was back in March. That must be a first for LLL surely?

I caught a bit of it whilst channel-surfing last night. Phil showing a couple around a dump in Sheffield, I think, as they wanted a place to do up...

It was on for 179K. Krusty's voice over cut in with something like:

"179K for this might seem a lot but it's a developer's dream. I think if they do it up it would be worth somewhere in the region of 300K."

It's all about the money for her, isn't it?

And, correct me I'm wrong, but I came on to a TV show telling people to pile into shares of a certain company because they'd be going up, I'd be shot down in flames..

And, correct me I'm wrong, but I came on to a TV show telling people to pile into shares of a certain company because they'd be going up, I'd be shot down in flames..

Not necessarily if the shares went up no one would care and you wouldn't be seen as irresponsible.

I thought the doctors place was fantastic.

Ignoring the price, I thought they were buying the place because they loved it.

The husband also pointed out that they hadn't put themselves in financial jeopardy.

I had no problems with what they did because they aren't going to move probably ever (even when they are in 400k of neg eq) and they are doctors so are relatively safe from redundancy (barring any shocks that are out of their control).

OTOH, the other 2 though were just lambs to the slaughter. That house will be worth <150 soon and they will be ruined.

They did say that the £750,000 house had not risen in value at all in the year that they had bought it - and that was back in March. That must be a first for LLL surely?

I noticed that too - the first (cheaper house) they had a valuer round to say, "yes, of course, you've put a lot of work in, and this is reflected in the price I'd put on it at £315k - no problem selling it" (or words to that effect - it was a £40k profit)

Then they have the £750k house on, and they say "while it hasn't risen in value" - but they neglect to mention that even though they've sunk huge chunks of cash into it it hasn't risen, and furthermore, chances are, it's gone down in price....Instead of getting a valuer in, they had a builder in to quote for even more work to do on their money pit.

I thought the doctors place was fantastic.

Ignoring the price, I thought they were buying the place because they loved it.

The husband also pointed out that they hadn't put themselves in financial jeopardy.

I had no problems with what they did because they aren't going to move probably ever (even when they are in 400k of neg eq) and they are doctors so are relatively safe from redundancy (barring any shocks that are out of their control).

OTOH, the other 2 though were just lambs to the slaughter. That house will be worth <150 soon and they will be ruined.

Well I think they are in jeopardy. The first call for a raise on the MPC despite the installation of US stooge Blanchflower, the recent announcement that Doctors will be able to be disbarred from practicing.

Mad.

As usual, you are left guessing the financials.

OK two docs maybe £200K Gross between them??

Maybe they had £500K inheritance? maybe they were borrowing the lot?

Nobody knows.

But a mortgage of over 450K for them would put them at risk IMHO.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Does anyone watch Location any more?

This series was commissioned before the tide went out- people now know prices are falling, last thing they want to watch is a property show.

There almost certainly won't be another series.

Does anyone watch Location any more?

This series was commissioned before the tide went out- people now know prices are falling, last thing they want to watch is a property show.

There almost certainly won't be another series.

Prices are falling? But that's not what the helpful estate agent said at the end. It was something like "the value of this house has risen to 315k and you could sell this house now no problems". That was March 2008.

Pay for Doctors

In their early 30s, they would be doing extremely well to be earning £100k a piece. I suspect large inheritance, or dodgy economics.

Most GPs run their own practices or consortia of practices. Recent changes to the contract make it fairly lucrative and changes just in the pipeline allow them to keep 70% of any cost-savings they make. Coupled with a push to give GPs real budgets to deliver service means salaries (in well managed productive practices) are high (£120k not unusual).

True. Many GPs who are partners earn great money. But they would have done exceptionally well to both have completed their training years, exams, and then be GP partners in their early 30s. Did it say on the programme?

I only saw a few minutes, quite soon after I tuned in, krusty was bouncing on a trampoline, so I quickly turned over and watched the bill instead. I'd jsut eaten my tea and there's only so much your stomach can take.

I only saw a few minutes, quite soon after I tuned in, krusty was bouncing on a trampoline, so I quickly turned over and watched the bill instead. I'd jsut eaten my tea and there's only so much your stomach can take.

Isn't it a repeat? Did they look in Matlock?

I remember the trampoline in that one.

Most GPs run their own practices or consortia of practices. Recent changes to the contract make it fairly lucrative and changes just in the pipeline allow them to keep 70% of any cost-savings they make. Coupled with a push to give GPs real budgets to deliver service means salaries (in well managed productive practices) are high (£120k not unusual).

Sounds good! Remember that the 70% legally has to go into patient care and not the doctors salary- also remember there have been 3 years of 0% pay rise while all the staff members they have+pay for(incl practice manager/nurses/receptionists) have gone up at least 2.5% each year. Well paid like comparable partnerships in other professions such as solicitors/lawyers etc but not as lucrative as it sounds.

I caught a bit of it whilst channel-surfing last night. Phil showing a couple around a dump in Sheffield, I think, as they wanted a place to do up...

It was on for 179K. Krusty's voice over cut in with something like:

"179K for this might seem a lot but it's a developer's dream. I think if they do it up it would be worth somewhere in the region of 300K."

It's all about the money for her, isn't it?

How very true..... good point. In fact it's such a good point I might even put pen to paper and point this out to appropriate regulatory authorities, that is if you don't mind me using your very valid point.

The fact remains that a programme about the most important financial decision of someone's life should at least, I would have thought, make some investigation into the vendor's finances to show viewers how it is being afforded.

This is perfectly normal in those spendaholic type programmes. The fact it is not even mentioned on LLL makes me suspect that dodgy lending practices were involved and this is glossed over a. for obvious legal reasons and b. to make the spending of huge amounts of money on property appear 'normal'.

But just because the shares in one company rise doesn't mean all shares rise - in fact, this edition has apparently been quite balanced and shown a house NOT going up in price.

OK two docs maybe £200K Gross between them??

But a mortgage of over 450K for them would put them at risk IMHO.

A mortgage of 2.5 x joint earnings...????? They could easily borrow 450k based on one 100k salary. And they've got jobs for life - we still need doctors in a recession.

Some of you guys would benefit from getting over your greed and going out to get a decent job instead of whinging.

Why do funds need to add something like "Past performance does not reflect future performance", but when it comes to house prices this notion is lost. Phil was saying "prices have increased by 88% over the past x years" he should then have said "but remember past performance does not necessarily reflect future performance ...".

I like the show better when they keep their noses out of politics. Why do they show this stamp duty crusade of theirs on some episodes but not all?

Also, I am beginning to form a hatred towards Krusty like no other hatred I have felt before. The woman is so arrogant, if a couple say "I don't like it because of x y z reason", she feels outraged and insulted - Why doesn't she bloody buy it then!

Pay for Doctors

In their early 30s, they would be doing extremely well to be earning £100k a piece. I suspect large inheritance, or dodgy economics.

But also remember that only one in the couple was now working in March 2008, the wife looked like she was now a stay at home mum looking after the new born.