House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Social Housing For All To Reduce Benefit Dependants

Just like to say would it be wise for the government to start a mass social housing program to reduce the amount of individuals dependant on social financial handouts? thus reduce the council costs of HB.

Edited by crash2006

The money required to provide subsidised housing amounts to a benefit in kind which is not the best way to help people as Chris Dillow explains in 'Against council housing':

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/st...st-council.html

...why should the state provide subsidized housing at all? Basic economic theory says it shouldn't, as in-kind benefits are obviously inferior to cash transfers.

The reason for this is simple. If you give cash to the poor, they can choose for themselves their favourite combination of housing and other goods. Some will choose a nice house with little cash, others a grotty flat with higher incomes. But if you give them housing directly, some'll have bigger houses and less cash than they'd like whilst others -- as any MP will tell you -- won't have good enough housing.

Do I have to draw a diagram? I will.

The money required to provide subsidised housing amounts to a benefit in kind which is not the best way to help people as Chris Dillow explains in 'Against council housing':

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/st...st-council.html

What a load of rubbish.

The average private rent of a three bed terrace in the South East is about three quarters of the GROSS average wage.

If this were France then people would be on the streets already with pitch forks and moletov cocktails.

The people in this country are so cowed and asinine it sometimes makes me think that maybe 'The Matrix' has an element of truth.

Read the 4th comment down....please.

Council housing does not need to be and should not be subsidized housing.

If social housing is run efficiently there's no need for a subsidy, the problem is that the councils are wasteful and housing associations tend to be run by pigs who have their noses deep in the trough.

I've been told by some on this site that I'm living in a subsidized house, even though they have no knowledge of my situation. I live in a bungalow built in 1953 for 1,100 Pounds and built on common land. Half my rent goes to the council and half to central government. Repairs are very few and far between.

Would it be possible to build houses now for 60,000 and use for social housing? Of course not, people must either spend their lives paying their mortgage or someone else's.