House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spring

Deposit Saving

Any suggestions for a reasonably low risk/good savings rate bank/building society for deposit saving? Some ppl say nationwide - any others?

You answered your own question. ;)

Or in answering with <£35k you fell for the lure of the fictitious scheme that pretends it will pay out up to £35k if a major institution fails.

I'll offer you an even better guarantee system, Optobear's new improved deposit guarantee scheme. It guarantees up to £250k if any bank or building society fails with only a couple of caveats. Currently the scheme I'm offering has no money in the kitty, the total payout is limited to £4bn, oh, and it is only guaranteed if it never has to pay. So it is totally water-tight, and much better than the £35k FSCS scheme because it guarantees 100% of £250k, and is just as robust and well thought out. The only difference is the FSCS scheme has £100m in the kitty, but that won't go far...

Optobear

Spring, The building society Nationwide may be a good choice, I've thought about Northern Rock but I don't know if they have any branches in Northern Ireland.

There is a branch in Dublin though http://www.northernrock-ireland.ie

I think they are euro accounts, I had thought about putting some money in one of these myself because it would give me less exposure to sterling.

Edited by YoungFTB

if you are an inflationist, than any bank is "safe"

if you are a deflationist, then no bank is safe.

in general, I would think that Northern Rock would probably be the safest since it's already been nationalized, so for it to fail, the whole government would have to go.

and in that case, you have other problems.

Guest Steve Cook
if you are an inflationist, than any bank is "safe"

if you are a deflationist, then no bank is safe.

in general, I would think that Northern Rock would probably be the safest since it's already been nationalized, so for it to fail, the whole government would have to go.

and in that case, you have other problems.

nicely put...... :blink: