House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Airships

Just watching C4 and they are on about the resurgence of Airship travel - something I've always loved.

Ok, it's a bit divorced from house prices but how totally and utterly f*ckin cool would it be if international travel reverted to these things, along with huge ocean liners and flying boats, so one didn't have to endure loads of scummy worthless, drunken, load-mouthed, obscene British Chavs everywhere one went?

Travel has been far too cheap for for too long.

Just watching C4 and they are on about the resurgence of Airship travel - something I've always loved.

Ok, it's a bit divorced from house prices but how totally and utterly f*ckin cool would it be if international travel reverted to these things, along with huge ocean liners and flying boats, so one didn't have to endure loads of scummy worthless, drunken, load-mouthed, obscene British Chavs everywhere one went?

This is an old story, but who says they won't think bigger is better and change the airship into say the Plymouth Santander ferry, which is effectively a ship full of chavs where drinking and a tat magic show is the only entertainment onboard , I went via the Plym Santander ferry to save 2000 miles riding through france.

A pampered cruise around Europe by airship would be a very cool holiday, and I can't think it's not already being done. But for business travel is just too slow.

TBH I can see it being used in long distance cargo hauls - nice and efficient and cheap.

A pampered cruise around Europe by airship would be a very cool holiday, and I can't think it's not already being done. But for business travel is just too slow.

TBH I can see it being used in long distance cargo hauls - nice and efficient and cheap.

I like the idea of the cruise

But it would be terribly expensive, as with normal ship type cruises they have an effective monopoly on you and can therefore charge you the earth for a glass of wine or something.

Spain between Seville and Salamanca the barren bit I paid 2.70 Euro for a can of coke, but they had me as there wasn't another shop for 30 miles in each direction and that shop had nothing withing 30 miles too...

The problem with airships is weight, you can have the biggest floorspace you can manage but your limited to a low number of passengers/crew and the odd piece of furniture. You pay a large price for every gramme you carry. Fuel is costly as you need biggish engines running a lot of the time to push a very large balloon of air through air, IMHO solar paint might be a solution and lots of automated ships could move freight around, but your going to need ALOT of ships to move small amounts of cargo around.

Edited by moosetea

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
The problem with airships is weight, you can have the biggest floorspace you can manage but your limited to a low number of passengers/crew and the odd piece of furniture. You pay a large price for every gramme you carry. Fuel is costly as you need biggish engines running a lot of the time to push a very large balloon of air through air, IMHO solar paint might be a solution and lots of automated ships could move freight around, but your going to need ALOT of ships to move small amounts of cargo around.

It could revolutionise goose down imports.

I think where they would be useful is where there are no established airstrips granted a 747 cargo carries a fair bit , but it also requires lots of infrastructure for it to take off and land,

I think where they would be useful is where there are no established airstrips granted a 747 cargo carries a fair bit , but it also requires lots of infrastructure for it to take off and land,

I thought someone here had the crashing

as their avatar?

See, there is a connection.

Oh the humanity indeed.

Bloody banksters.

This is an old story, but who says they won't think bigger is better and change the airship into say the Plymouth Santander ferry, which is effectively a ship full of chavs where drinking and a tat magic show is the only entertainment onboard , I went via the Plym Santander ferry to save 2000 miles riding through france.

Is the Plymouth-Santander ferry a bit of an ordeal then? I'd had my eye on that for a future civilised holiday, eating, drinking and driving (later) through France one way, then taking the ferry the other.

I remember seeing a program on early commercial flights to Australia. These were very relaxed and luxurious although they took forever. No chance that the chavs would be involved as the cost was around the same as a semi detached house at the time!

So, no chavs, no working class, middle class, professional class. Just the very privileged.

The rest of us get to stay at home (assuming you can afford one)

BTW the airship over London is £350 for an hour!

Be careful what you wish for ;)

Edited by Bankside

I remember seeing a program on early commercial flights to Australia. These were very relaxed and luxurious although they took forever. No chance that the chavs would be involved as the cost was around the same as a semi detached house at the time!

So, no chavs, no working class, middle class, professional class. Just the very privileged.

If you know the way (and I'm sorry, I'm not sharing, because it's getting too popular already and its demise may be provoked if that continues), but you can get to Australia and back in business class for not much more than a grand, and in first class for less than two grand. There's a bit of hassle involved, but trust me, it's worth it. Details available on The Internet.

Blimey, I'm even more of a w@nker than I thought :ph34r:

Guest Steve Cook

airships!!!

Now thats more bleeding like it!

but who says they won't think bigger is better and change the airship into say the Plymouth Santander ferry, which is effectively a ship full of chavs where drinking and a tat magic show is the only entertainment onboard

I'd be praying for an iceberg.

Airships always seem to belong in parallel universes, Michael Moorcock, Doctor Who, The Golden Compass.

Shame really.

I saw one of these today, over the Thames east of London, very impressive sight.

Me too. I wondered what the hell it was at first. Advertising Stella Artois, I think - the haze of lowered expectations above the ALDI in Catford made it difficult to tell.

If you know the way (and I'm sorry, I'm not sharing, because it's getting too popular already and its demise may be provoked if that continues), but you can get to Australia and back in business class for not much more than a grand, and in first class for less than two grand. There's a bit of hassle involved, but trust me, it's worth it. Details available on The Internet.

A grand sounds like an economy fare to me. Opodo seems to quote UKP1300+ for a return from LHR to SYD. I have done it for under half that, but that involved getting a discounted ticked abroad and then flying mid-week. Business class return on Opodo is 3.5k+ and first 5k+. What is your secret?

Is the Plymouth-Santander ferry a bit of an ordeal then? I'd had my eye on that for a future civilised holiday, eating, drinking and driving (later) through France one way, then taking the ferry the other.

Yes it is an ordeal, and the Bilbao Ferry is even worse. But I do not think it is a function of money, or "chavs, but culture. Nearly all P&O ferries cater for the lowest common denominator: bad taste entertainment, stinking beer and ghastly disco music at a 1000 decibels all the way. In stark contrast, try the Brittany Ferries St Malo to Portsmouth ships. Similar fare structure, almost the same kind of people on board, but the ships are immaculate (unlike the rusting P&O hulks), the staff are educated and civilised (being French) and do NOT provide ghastly "entertainment". The contrast is breathtaking, and it has a civilising effect on most on board.

If you treat people like thick idiots, they'll act like it.

VP

I cant see it. To the layman it seems that you are lifting things for free but it take fuel to lift a plane. However the lift a plane develops from its wing is free too, you just pay the fuel cost to keep it moving. Air resistance is of course significant when moving as fast as a plane but airships make up for that by not being aerodynamic at all. You have to move slowly with an airship to avoid the resistance.

I recently flew from Southampton to France for £8.50. The airport charges where higher than the fare. It was cheaper than the ferry, took an hour instead of 8 hours. Air travel is cheap and quick.