House Price Crash Forum

Glasgow East - The End Of Brown And His Miracle?

HOLA441

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080723/tuk-...sg-dba1618.html

Labour vows fightback is on at Glasgow East
ITN - 7 minutes ago
Gordon Brown will be hoping to head off another by-election disaster as Glasgow East prepares to go to the polls.
Candidate Margaret Curran delivered a final speech standing on a box on a street corner in the constituency and vowed: "The Labour fightback is under way and we are on our way."
Mrs Curran added: "Again and again, local people are telling me they are fed-up with collusion between the SNP, the Tories and some sections of the media to bad-mouth this area.
"I promise that if I am elected, that work will start on Friday morning. I promise I will stand up for the men, the women, the pensioners, the young people, and the
working people
* of the east end of Glasgow."
After she finished, activists fanned out with the aim of knocking on 10,000 doors in the constituency where Labour is defending a majority of 13,507.

Will Gordon be victorious tomorrow? If he wins he will be claiming that the election is the British people saying they want him to carry on with the job and steer the country through difficult times caused by everyone else.

What do you think will happen?

I hate to say it but I think New Labour will retain with a reduced majority of around 3,000 or so.

* working people: people who work as opposed to those on the sausage, incapacity etc. ??

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"Iz thu Laburrrr candidut. If yuz votes fur'uz yez can awl ha' a week o' free scag."

That should do it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
I hate to say it but I think New Labour will retain with a reduced majority of around 3,000 or so.

Not even going to guess at the majority, but I suspect Labour will hold it, although that's more of a condemnation of the SNP (who aren't exactly universally popular in Scotland...) than a thumbs up to Labour. Having said that, if was to lose (and it's a very big 'if' indeed) I don't think he'd survive the summer.

HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Glasgow East is the fourth safest Labour seat in the UK. That we are even talking about the possibility of it being lost is a good indication of the deep trouble this government is in.

This trouble is so deep, even a vet's glove won't be long enough.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA446
Glasgow East is the fourth safest Labour seat in the UK. That we are even talking about the possibility of it being lost is a good indication of the deep trouble this government is in.

Never been lost in 60 years, also there was also a report about how if you are going to replace a leader, the closer to the general election the better. People pull back from punishing the government and feel they are being heard, plus the new guy has no time to do anything seriously wrong.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest LongBlackKilt
current odds william hill labour 3/10 snp 12/5

surprisingly odds for most seats for next general election conservatives 2/7 labour 5/2

5/2 labour?bookmakers aren`t pricing in much of a crash,perhaps a surprise ecomnomic upturn coming up on the rails.

I wondered if it might be like Glasgow Garscadden (1978), where the SNP were more or less halted by a strong Labour candidate. Now I think that it might be somewhere between Glasgow Govan version 1.0 (1973, SNP by c. 500 votes) and Dundee East (1973, Lab hold by 1100). Tough call, but I'll go for Labour by 750.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The Labour party for the working class?

Not very on-message is it?

I wonder if he thinks that putting houses out of the reach of even the middle classes, and cutting rates to save the middle classes' HP dream, while simultaneously ruining the poor via petrol and food inflation is somehow going to play well with the core voters?

Edit to get a PG rating. :)

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4412
The Labour party for the working class?

They're definately fooked then!

The working class long since became the welfare class, with many of the minimum wage jobs now being done by migrants who can't vote. I don't think tax and spend Gordon ever held much sway with the middle class, whoever they might be.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The bookies odds would suggest Labour to hold but Manchgirl gave out some interesting info yeserday on another thread about the postal votes, which she said showed the SNP ahead. :P

Yes, my 'source' said they sightly edged it on the postals and that SLab activists present were gutted as postals are favoured by the more mature voter, who normally vote for the monkey with a red rosette. He's pretty chipper to be honest and feels that they will sneak it. Overturning a majority of that size, with the mindset of voters in the West of Scotland and with a pretty universally hostile media up here, would be earth shattering.

Interesting for anyone who saw Newsnight, the allegations about why the sitting MP David Marhsall suddenly resigned (clue: not ill health) have finally made the media in a big way. Pity it might be a bit too late too make an impact.

HOLA4415
Yes, my 'source' said they sightly edged it on the postals and that SLab activists present were gutted as postals are favoured by the more mature voter, who normally vote for the monkey with a red rosette. He's pretty chipper to be honest and feels that they will sneak it. Overturning a majority of that size, with the mindset of voters in the West of Scotland and with a pretty universally hostile media up here, would be earth shattering.

Interesting for anyone who saw Newsnight, the allegations about why the sitting MP David Marhsall suddenly resigned (clue: not ill health) have finally made the media in a big way. Pity it might be a bit too late too make an impact.

To spend more time with his family?

HOLA4416
To spend more time with his family?

He'd been spending a lot of time with his family, what with claiming half a million quid to run his constituency office out of his living room. Luckily he had some help in the form of his daughter who he was employing @ £70k per annum. Meanwhile, she had some nice property development companies registered to the same address. Busy lady, how did she find the time?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Isn't saying you are candidate of the party of 'working people' a bad idea for a candidate hoping to win in Glasgow East. Surely it would be better to say you represent the party for incapacity benefit claimants - its hardly a hotbed of 'hard work'.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Meh, who cares.

It's like replacing the tea boy at a cut'n'shut garage and expecting a better standard of cars.

Voting is completely meaningless.

*sigh*. Injin, you always try to steer a thread away from the topic in hand towards one of your pseudo-philosophical discussions on the nature of politics or society or whatever. No doubt next you will be telling us all that there is no such thing as Glasgow East, etc etc.

*sigh*. :rolleyes:

HOLA4422
He'd been spending a lot of time with his family, what with claiming half a million quid to run his constituency office out of his living room. Luckily he had some help in the form of his daughter who he was employing @ £70k per annum. Meanwhile, she had some nice property development companies registered to the same address. Busy lady, how did she find the time?

I've been pretty gutted this hadn't made the mainstream (even the red-flavoured BBC continue to flag "due to ill health" in every story - almost like they want to spill the beans but haven't got the bottle/legal say-so). I wonder why the SNP didn't do some kind of press release, unless they also have things to hide (no doubt).

If I didn't read Guido I'd have no idea what the heck is going on in this country. Why isn't Marshall locked up or paying the money back?

HOLA4423
I've been pretty gutted this hadn't made the mainstream (even the red-flavoured BBC continue to flag "due to ill health" in every story - almost like they want to spill the beans but haven't got the bottle/legal say-so). I wonder why the SNP didn't do some kind of press release, unless they also have things to hide (no doubt).

If I didn't read Guido I'd have no idea what the heck is going on in this country. Why isn't Marshall locked up or paying the money back?

Because many MPs have been at it. The Scottish Speaker of the House of Commons has been very busy blocking attempts to get MP's expenses audited. We could have the most corrupt Parliament since the days before Oliver Cromwell purged the House.

I wrote to my local MP complaining that local authority leaders were, in many cases, being paid more than the PM. I believe corruption is even more wiodespread at the LA level where the 100k+ jobs are advertised but already taken through nepotism. My MP said the LA workers did a fine job and worked hard and saw no reason to question their earnings. Hmm, I wonder why not?

HOLA4424
Guest Skint Academic
No doubt next you will be telling us all that there is no such thing as Glasgow East, etc etc.

I wonder if Labour are going to be wishing that was true tomorrow ...

Edited by Skint Academic

HOLA4425
*sigh*. Injin, you always try to steer a thread away from the topic in hand towards one of your pseudo-philosophical discussions on the nature of politics or society or whatever. No doubt next you will be telling us all that there is no such thing as Glasgow East, etc etc.

*sigh*. :rolleyes:

If that was my goal, we'd already be talking about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Whales are very clever creatures and they would actually attack whaling ships back when ships were made of wood. Obviously such large creatures can do a lot of damage to wooden vessels but what the captains of whalers realised (after jumping into the rowboats a few times and having those smashed as well) is that the whales would also go for other wooden structures in the water. Soon, the captains were dropping barrels into the water and the whales would splash around, attacking the barrels and this would leave them open to being shot with harpoons.

Gordon Brown is a barrel. He'll sink and people will feel relieved that things have changed when absoilutely nothing has.