House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
swissy_fit

Question For Goldbugs

Hello all,

I'm interested in buying gold and/or silver as a protection measure.

Not keen om buying coins as this would present me with the problem of where to keep them. I don't fancy burying them under a tree in the woods, or putting them in a bank safe deposit (who is to say I'd get them back from either of those two places).

A colleague showed me this site :

http://www.bullionvault.com/

It looks OK, in theory your gold is allocated to you and is "real", but can you trust these people any more than a bank? If the world banking system goes down, would I be any more likely to get the money back?

What do the "panel" of gold enthusiasts think?

Hello all,

I'm interested in buying gold and/or silver as a protection measure.

Not keen om buying coins as this would present me with the problem of where to keep them. I don't fancy burying them under a tree in the woods, or putting them in a bank safe deposit (who is to say I'd get them back from either of those two places).

A colleague showed me this site :

http://www.bullionvault.com/

It looks OK, in theory your gold is allocated to you and is "real", but can you trust these people any more than a bank? If the world banking system goes down, would I be any more likely to get the money back?

What do the "panel" of gold enthusiasts think?

1) You have to believe in Via Mat, who, according to the site actually vault the gold, as well as in Bullionvault and their insurance companies.

2) You must be confident that some future guvmint will never confiscate the gold.

3) "Your" gold will be a notional part of a girt 400oz bar, if I understand correctly.

You need to ask how long it will take to get physical delivery of your weight of gold, should you ever want it, and how much they will charge for that.

Wonder what will happen if "everybody and their mother" wants delivery at the same time, maybe because the £ is worth less than a Zimbabwe dollar after the US invades Iran or whatever?

Hope that helps.

The gold is physically in the warehouse before it can be traded. If the banking system went down you would still have the gold there.

1) You have to believe in Via Mat, who, according to the site actually vault the gold, as well as in Bullionvault and their insurance companies.

Via Mat are the swiss company that operate the secure vaults. They operate vaults and transport gold, they are not a bank. If you wanted you could take out a private contract for storage, BullionVault are doing it for you. You will have to read about the security safeguards, audits, etc on their website.

2) You must be confident that some future guvmint will never confiscate the gold.

Thats why you keep it in a Swiss vault and not a UK one.

3) "Your" gold will be a notional part of a girt 400oz bar, if I understand correctly.

You need to ask how long it will take to get physical delivery of your weight of gold, should you ever want it, and how much they will charge for that.

Wonder what will happen if "everybody and their mother" wants delivery at the same time, maybe because the £ is worth less than a Zimbabwe dollar after the US invades Iran or whatever?

You can show up at the vault and take delivery. This will have to arranged and there will be a charge of course. I guess they would have to order in small bars since most of the gold is in good delivery form. The question of everyone wanting delivery at once is not an issue since the gold is in the vault. It is not a paper or fractional banking system. It is a storage system for your gold combined with a trading system to allow you to buy or sell it. If you don't like BullionVault you could check out GoldMoney.com instead.

The only way you can be absolutely sure is to buy anonymously with cash so nobody knows you have the gold and bury it someplace where nobody would be able to find it. That too incurs the risk of discovery or burglary. It upto you where you draw the line.

Good answers from Thod.

Without wanting to confuse, I wanted to share some musings about Bullionvault . First of all, I'm a very small customer of theirs but a 'holder' rather than a 'trader', and I'm not one a big-shot investor. I set up earlier this year, but the more I think about it, there are holes with what they do. I don't distrust the people who set up BV, rather the environment they and we all operate in.

- If we got to a tragic scenario where the UK government did freeze gold assets in this country, of course they couldn't touch the Swiss vault, but I wonder what their powers would be to freeze ViaMat's activity and even force them to liquidate the UK stock. Okay, we said that it appears easy to avert that by storing in Zurich, but is that a safe assumption I ask myself sometimes. The thing is, BV are a UK-based company so I wonder if extraordinary powers can be invoked to force them to repatriate the stock here for sale.

- The other thing is that to sell your gold, you need to (even temporarily) have your money pass through their Lloyds bank account. Now this bank is surely one of the most reliable, but what if (like in Argentina) the worse happened and the government tells the banks to shut up shop, disabling any electronic/physical movement of cash.

These thoughts may be extreme but we are on the cusp of a new phenomenon and there really is no saying what strange reactions we will see from the PTB. One thing is for sure though - the ruling/banking class are the thieves who steered us here and they will take no prisoners. Although my thoughts are paranoid, nobody can deny there are precedents to justify this.

I'm with Bullionvault and I use the Zurich vault, even though I think the chances of a confiscation are limited. As I see it the only points of the Roosevelt confiscation were twofold:

To break the convertibility on demand of the USD to gold.

To hide inflation / devaluation from the general populace.

As there is no current expectation that the USD or GBP should be convertible to gold on demand and in the internet age / globalized world you can't hide inflation from commodity prices (incl. gold), I can't see any point in a future UK confiscation. Gordo seems not to care for gold and appears happy to participate in market slapdowns to keep the price down, presumably to stop Joe Public seeing quite how low the UK/US FunnyMoneyTM is going.

Having said all that, I am a gold newbie and am open to education!

So, gleeful_expat, if TSHTF in a big way, the question seems to be:

will you be trying to make your way to Switzerland armed with a hacksaw, along with all those other peeps who want their gold (there won't be enough little bars available to settle many of the depositors' dues) :o

or will you be looking at an empty hole in the ground whence some trusted confidante has exhumed your carefully buried treasure? :o

Let's have a whisky and hope it doesn't get that bad. :wacko:

CAN I ASK AN HONEST QUESTION?

"GORDEN BROWN" AND THE POWERS THAT BE MIGHT SEEM LIKE COMPLETE MUPPETS, AS FOR BROWN HE REMINDS ME OF A "CIRCUS BEAR ON A BIKE", BUT THE TRUTH IS BOTH THE LABOUR PARTY AND THE LEADERS IN AMERICA BOTH KNOW HOW THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRIES ARE GOING TO MAP OUT AFTER THIS 'HYPARECESSION'

I DON'T THINK I AM FAR WRONG IN SAYING THAT THE WORLD LEADERS WILL BE PUSHING FOR 'ONE CURRENCY' 'ONE CARD' , IN A NUT SHELL YOUR HOLE LIFE WILL BE SPENT ON AN ID CARD WITH IT'S OWN FORM OF CURRENCY.

I BELIEVE IN MY LIFE TIME WE WILL SEE THIS HAPPEN, AND I ALSO BELIEVE THAT GOLD WILL BE THE LAST 'TRUE CURRENCY' ON EARTH.

MY HONEST ADVISE 'DO NOT BUY FOREIGN COINS' THEY ONLY HOLD SO MUCH AT FACE VALUE

THE GOVERNMENT WILL RECALL GOLD, SO DO NOT HOLD STOCKS AND SHARES OR HAVE YOUR GOLD HELD BY A THIRD PARTY (LOOKED UPON BY THE GOVERNMENT)

BUY BARS, IN OUNCE'S, KEEP UNDER THE LIMIT THAT YOU HAVE TO DECLARE, AND BUY IN AS MANY PEOPLES NAMES AS YOU CAN (IF YOU CAN)

HOPE THIS HELPS

I AM BULLION BOY :ph34r:

...ANOTHER QUICK ONE.

WHEN 'GOLDEN GORDEN' SOLD OUR GOLD RESERVES IN BULK TO CHINA FOR 'PICNIC PRICES' HE COULD ONLY SEE AS FAR AS THE END OF HIS FORK AT THE DINNER TABLE, CHEWING ON THE FAT OF THE GREAT BRITISH BACKBONE.

SELLING THIS GOLD LEFT THE UK IN A WHEELCHAIR IF HISTORY EVER REPEATED IT'S SELF, HE NEW THAT, AND LOOK AT WHATS HAPPENING TODAY?

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK 'GOOD LAD GORDY' WILL NOT CONFISCATE GOLD WHEN THE UK NEEDS IT.....IF YOU ARE HOLDING GOLD IN ANY VAULT LOOKED ON BY THE GOVERNMENT I WOULD HONESTLY THINK AGAIN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE IN SAFE HANDS.

YOUR AS SAFE AS 'CORUS' WAS FOR PENSIONS.

HOLD IT , STORE IT, HIDE IT, I THINK CURRENCY WILL BE AS WORTHLESS AS HOUSE PRICES IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

...ANOTHER QUICK ONE.

WHEN 'GOLDEN GORDEN' SOLD OUR GOLD RESERVES IN BULK TO CHINA FOR 'PICNIC PRICES' HE COULD ONLY SEE AS FAR AS THE END OF HIS FORK AT THE DINNER TABLE, CHEWING ON THE FAT OF THE GREAT BRITISH BACKBONE.

SELLING THIS GOLD LEFT THE UK IN A WHEELCHAIR IF HISTORY EVER REPEATED IT'S SELF, HE NEW THAT, AND LOOK AT WHATS HAPPENING TODAY?

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK 'GOOD LAD GORDY' WILL NOT CONFISCATE GOLD WHEN THE UK NEEDS IT.....IF YOU ARE HOLDING GOLD IN ANY VAULT LOOKED ON BY THE GOVERNMENT I WOULD HONESTLY THINK AGAIN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE IN SAFE HANDS.

YOUR AS SAFE AS 'CORUS' WAS FOR PENSIONS.

HOLD IT , STORE IT, HIDE IT, I THINK CURRENCY WILL BE AS WORTHLESS AS HOUSE PRICES IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Dont mean to sound stupid but, how/where do you buy bars or pieces there of? and then say you want to sell, how do you do this? does it take a long time?

I'm still a gold virgin, but gold puperty has really taken hold of me this last month or so...

Dont mean to sound stupid but, how/where do you buy bars or pieces there of? and then say you want to sell, how do you do this? does it take a long time?

I'm still a gold virgin, but gold puperty has really taken hold of me this last month or so...

FIRST OFF STICK TO A BONA FIDE BULLION DEALER WHO IS REGISTERED WITH THE 'BNTA', DON'T USE BACK STREET BALL WASHING STREET PUNKS (THEY WILL SELL YOU A GOLD PLATED ***** WITH BALLS DIPPED IN GOLD HAMMERITE)

ATS IN LONDON

BAIRD AND CO IN LONDON

CHARDS (UP NOOETH)BLACKPOOL

THERE ARE ABOUT 5 I THINK BUT I USE THE ABOVE DEPENDING ON WHERE I AM AT THE TIME.

BUY BULLION IN OUNCES, YOU WILL BE ADVISED TO BUY IN BIGGER BARS BUT YOU CANT CUT A CHUNK OFF IT WHEN SHIT HITS THE FAN (TRUST ME IT WILL)

THEY WILL POST IT TO YOU RECORDED AND SPECIAL DELIVERY FOR AROUND £8 DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT.

TO SELL IT , POST IT BACK THE SAME (I NEVER SELL SO I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW THIS WORKS), OR YOU CAN PICK IT UP.

YOU CAN'T BUY GOLD ON A PROMISE MY FRIEND, SO CASH OR CLEARED BANK CHEQUE IS THE ONLY THING A SELLER WILL ASK FOR (BACKED UP BY ID DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH YOU BUY.....)

ONE TROY OUNCE BARS ARE IN DEMAND AT THE MOMENT, I BELIEVE THIS WILL BE THE LAST TRUE CURRENCY IN THE UK IN THE YEARS TO COME, SO IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND WANT TO INVEST IN GOLD BUY OUNCE BARS, FAILING THAT (OUT OF STOCK) , THEN BUY BRITANNIA'S .

BRITANNIA COINS HOLD A FACE VALUE OF £100, MEANING THEY WILL ALWAYS BE WORTH £100 + WHAT EVER GOLD IS WORTH AT THE TIME YOU COME TO SELL MINUS THE 'BUY BACK FEE'S' IF FINANCES IN ENGLAND CONTINUE TO RULE EUROPE (BUT THINK ABOUT IT?...ARE THEY?) BRITANNIAS WILL ALWAYS HOLD A GOOD TRUE VALUE FOR WHAT THEY ARE AND HOW THEY ARE MADE (PURE QUALITY)

IF FINANCE IN THIS COUNTRY CRUMBLES (I THINK IT WILL) AND A 'ONE FOR ALL CURRENCY' IS BROUGHT TO LIGHT (BUY THE WAY OF CHIP AND PIN CARDS BECAUSE METAL IS TO EXPENSIVE TO PRESS COINS)....THEN MY FRIEND YOU WILL BE HOLDING SOMETHING VERY VALUABLE, NOT ONLY HAVE BRITANNIAS BEEN MADE IN LIMITED NUMBERS (DUE TO FINANCE RULING THE UK) BUT THEY WILL THEN BECOME A PIECE OF HISTORY (LIKE SOVEREIGNS FROM THE PAST) AND IN TURN WILL GO UP IN HUGE VALUE.....'ANYONE REMEMBER 2009, I BOUGHT THIS COIN, THE LAST TO BE PRINTED'...THAT KINDA THING.

STAY CLEAR OF SOVEREIGNS, BUY ONE OUNCE BARS (EASY TO TRADE ON A BLACK MARKET WHEN THE UK HAS SANK, WHICH IT WILL), SOVEREIGN COINS WILL HOLD LITTLE IMPORTANCE WHEN GOLD RULES THE WORLD AGAIN,"IT'S ALL ABOUT 99.99 PERCENT PURE", "KING GEORGE ON A COIN WILL NOT WIN A WAR" GOLD WILL BUY THAT HOUSE YOU WANTED, GOLD WILL BUY A WAY OUT OF THIS MESS WE ARE IN, GOLD WILL OUTLAST ANY MODERN CURRENCY, AND IN OUR CASE IT WILL OUT VALUE ANYTHING IN THE UK....EVEN LIFE

THANKS FOR LISTENING, I'M GREAT

STAY CLEAR OF SOVEREIGNS, BUY ONE OUNCE BARS (EASY TO TRADE ON A BLACK MARKET WHEN THE UK HAS SANK)

Don't sovereigns have the advantage of being smaller denominations than 1 oz coins? Alternatively, what about 1/4 oz Britannias?

STAY CLEAR OF SOVEREIGNS, BUY ONE OUNCE BARS (EASY TO TRADE ON A BLACK MARKET WHEN THE UK HAS SANK, WHICH IT WILL

No, sovereigns will be easier to trade on the black market as there is no need to get them assayed. Four quick tests with a small scale, ruler and a pencil and you can prove it is a Sov. You cannot do the same with bar unless the black market dealer already has a bar of the same size from the same refinery that the dealer trusts as already proven gold.

In fact if the SHTF then you would be better off with chain as you can prove the quality from the hallmark, then snip the required weight from the other end and test the snipped link on a touchstone, far quicker and easier.

In fact if the SHTF then you would be better off with chain as you can prove the quality from the hallmark, then snip the required weight from the other end and test the snipped link on a touchstone, far quicker and easier.

Argentina?

Argentina?

Yes, the same has happened in other countries whenever there has been a break down in the infrastructure for more than a few weeks.