House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
0q0

Letting Agent In Blatant Lie Shocker

Agent in Herts who had boasted to me of being one of the few who doesn't charge much for tenant fees (indeed he is cheap on that) said that all the flats (2-beds) in a new block were let when I saw his ad on the web and enquired.

"They're all gone I'm afraid" he said in an email to me. That was around the first week in July.

Yesterday I discovered they were simply given to another agent, either all or some. That other agent let them all but one over the past 2 weeks. Had I have known 2 weeks ago, I could've rented one of them.

The only 1 available now is of course the least attractive of the block.

Anyway - nicely built block as it happens - not new build shite at all but proper quality - but the poor old builder (a quality-minded, small builder*) can't sell all of them due to the mortgage situation/economics now so he's letting out 5 or 6.

The block's nice inside, very nice, but blighted by nearby semi-industrial units and soon shops downstairs.

YET all but one of the flats are let recently (within last 2 weeks to a month or so, new agent told me)

They are NOT cheap, they are mid-range price, towards upper end really, and it's the chav side of town, not the good side.

Renterbob ... ahem. you know what I'm going to say, sorry but it's true here at the moment!

*about 4ft 10 :)

Edited by The Last Bear

lol.. you can't blame him The Last Bear!!! I mean how humiliating is that?!?!

Joking aside - well, honesty should be paramount, especially from a man who had lectured me on how other agents rip off tenants with their huge fees and that saintly he only charges a nominal sum for the ref check.

Seems he's not such a blue-eyed boy after all.

Also, but I can't be 100% sure, it might be that he was on the Ask for about 5% more than the new agent who's now let all but one of them.

I don't mind paying a higher rent for a place that's worth it, but the one flat left is less than ideal. Had the first agent been up front with me I'd have checked RM more thoroughly and got myself a better flat in the block. They're all the same price anyway and could just have swayed me because of the block quality, despite the disadvantages I mentioned before.

Back to the drawing board for now, nothing on the radar. Am learning lots about agents though.

I agree its not really a joke and it's especially not funny when you ended up losing out on a property because of him.

For an agent to lose a property to another agent is like a slap round the face but surely he realized that his silly lie would be found out?

I think any agent that is willing to slag off a neighbour in the hope of getting more business is someone I would stay well away from.

We all know what 'some' agents get up to and I should think most of us have enough savvy to understand that there’s a lot of dishonesty going on within the letting business but then I wouldn’t worry too much because its not so much the tenant they are stinging as the landlord.

Joking aside - well, honesty should be paramount, especially from a man who had lectured me on how other agents rip off tenants with their huge fees and that saintly he only charges a nominal sum for the ref check.

Seems he's not such a blue-eyed boy after all.

Also, but I can't be 100% sure, it might be that he was on the Ask for about 5% more than the new agent who's now let all but one of them.

I don't mind paying a higher rent for a place that's worth it, but the one flat left is less than ideal. Had the first agent been up front with me I'd have checked RM more thoroughly and got myself a better flat in the block. They're all the same price anyway and could just have swayed me because of the block quality, despite the disadvantages I mentioned before.

Back to the drawing board for now, nothing on the radar. Am learning lots about agents though.

You could have asked another agent, such as the one in KENSINGTON which gave no warning of clsoing down...in the morning...open, in the evening, windows boarded up. All this week. And of course, Kensington is immune to the HPC....I think not! I know not.

Agents are hanging on for grim death at the moment, and many are going under.

How many renters deposits etc were stolen by those swine in Kensington?

RENTERS - do not give agent deposits, more and more are going out of business and taking your deposits with them..deal directly with the landlords

D R, thanks for posting. I asked that first agent to keep in touch if things came in, he never bothered. And now I find out he is economical with the facts sometimes. What a sweety he is.

You could have asked another agent, such as the one in KENSINGTON which gave no warning of clsoing down...in the morning...open, in the evening, windows boarded up. All this week. And of course, Kensington is immune to the HPC....I think not! I know not.

Agents are hanging on for grim death at the moment, and many are going under.

How many renters deposits etc were stolen by those swine in Kensington?

RENTERS - do not give agent deposits, more and more are going out of business and taking your deposits with them..deal directly with the landlords

I agree that there are agents hanging on by their fingertips. Witness the rather large number of letting agents that turn up to appointments in (I presume) company convertibles and sports cars and top of the range land rover style Mercs. They've had the mother of all parties and probably have maxxed out on the leasings and salaries etc, so probably with so many overheads they do face curtains if they can't pull in the same revenue now.

That said, an agent on the Beeb's London News tonight said buyer enquiries are picking up, but he let 1 of his 4 sales staff go.

Anyway, if things are getting tougher, that'd explain the uncalled for curt rudeness I got from the other agent when I asked "What sort of offers...?" (see other thread)

Once agents start to see prospective tenants as a cheeky nuisance they're either doing very well or very badly.

As for dealing with LLs direct - can't find hardly any to deal direct with. They tend to use agents mostly.

D R, thanks for posting. I asked that first agent to keep in touch if things came in, he never bothered. And now I find out he is economical with the facts sometimes. What a sweety he is.

I agree that there are agents hanging on by their fingertips. Witness the rather large number of letting agents that turn up to appointments in (I presume) company convertibles and sports cars and top of the range land rover style Mercs. They've had the mother of all parties and probably have maxxed out on the leasings and salaries etc, so probably with so many overheads they do face curtains if they can't pull in the same revenue now.

That said, an agent on the Beeb's London News tonight said buyer enquiries are picking up, but he let 1 of his 4 sales staff go.

Anyway, if things are getting tougher, that'd explain the uncalled for curt rudeness I got from the other agent when I asked "What sort of offers...?" (see other thread)

Once agents start to see prospective tenants as a cheeky nuisance they're either doing very well or very badly.

As for dealing with LLs direct - can't find hardly any to deal direct with. They tend to use agents mostly.

An idea came from an HPCer recently.

Have you tried to write a standard letter to all the sellers of houses you wouldn't mind renting? They may be interested, you never know. Just go through the properties for sale...and offer a decent rent whilst they are trying to sell (they have no chance presently, of course, but will no doubt be in denail - so lets politely exploit that). There was a draught letter published here a few days ago.....give them your email, mob number and I am certain many will reply.....

Edited by renterbob

An idea came from an HPCer recently.

Have you tried to write a standard letter to all the sellers of houses you wouldn't mind renting? They may be interested, you never know. Just go through the properties for sale...and offer a decent rent whilst they are trying to sell (they have no chance presently, of course, but will no doubt be in denail - so lets politely exploit that). There was a draught letter published here a few days ago.....give them your email, mob number and I am certain many will reply.....

Thanks Renterbob, I know, it's not a bad idea, thanks for reminding me on that.

I'm only looking for flats, a bit harder to identify which is the one up for sale from the photos on RM but not impossible.

I imagine if I put an AST form in with some mention of my credentials and references they might be reassured it's not a scam.

Anyone know where I can download a good (ie fair to both sides) AST form that I could then personalise?

The major problem I suppose is (a) they'd say "We know such and such is the correct rent for this, don't offer us less sonny Jim" and (B) They'd want potential buyer viewings allowed all through the tenancy, and © I've got the hassle of making sure they really are Mr & Mrs Smith the owners when I pay the deposit.

But a good idea if all that can be overcome, probably get a 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 hit rate - main danger being they could be about to be repo'ed and then I don't know what my position is if I've paid the deposit etc.

Thanks Renterbob, I know, it's not a bad idea, thanks for reminding me on that.

I'm only looking for flats, a bit harder to identify which is the one up for sale from the photos on RM but not impossible.

I imagine if I put an AST form in with some mention of my credentials and references they might be reassured it's not a scam.

Anyone know where I can download a good (ie fair to both sides) AST form that I could then personalise?

The major problem I suppose is (a) they'd say "We know such and such is the correct rent for this, don't offer us less sonny Jim" and (B) They'd want potential buyer viewings allowed all through the tenancy, and © I've got the hassle of making sure they really are Mr & Mrs Smith the owners when I pay the deposit.

But a good idea if all that can be overcome, probably get a 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 hit rate - main danger being they could be about to be repo'ed and then I don't know what my position is if I've paid the deposit etc.

Similar danger of any LL being repo'd...the scummy agents don't credit check the landlords...oh no, wouldn't do that, as if they get repo'd - once again, who cares about the poor renters and their families .... non-one

Make an offer, and that's it...if they don't take, they don't...you only need one to do it...and many may not have contacted agents yet, only been thinking about it...catch them at the right time and you may have your dream rental....for a low price. Don't give a deposit......or make it only 100 quid.....

Sellers are getting desperate TLBear, haven't you heard? :lol:

You are clearly in a strong position.

Similar danger of any LL being repo'd...the scummy agents don't credit check the landlords...oh no, wouldn't do that, as if they get repo'd - once again, who cares about the poor renters and their families .... non-one

Make an offer, and that's it...if they don't take, they don't...you only need one to do it...and many may not have contacted agents yet, only been thinking about it...catch them at the right time and you may have your dream rental....for a low price. Don't give a deposit......or make it only 100 quid.....

Sellers are getting desperate TLBear, haven't you heard? :lol:

You are clearly in a strong position.

I agree with what you say regarding credit checks etc etc.

But in the real world down south/Lon-don :rolleyes: here, they wouldn't take a small deposit, they'd see that as financial weakness from me. Secondly, the other problem is if the vendor contacts an agent they're going to say "Ohhhh we've loads of tenants that'll pay you much more than that, sign up with us...." and convince the vendor/LL that they'd be better off with the agents. Even though it probably wouldn't be so, financially or management wise.

What I might do though is do a letter with a sample AST inside so the LL can see it in his/her own time and not suspect a scam. But I expect to lose most of the would be LLs to an agent either intercepting my letter or convincing them to let via the agency only.

Nothing's easy in this country, the wideboys and chancers have carved up every market there is and us lot are paying their margin and for their Porsches and penthouses. We're all being suckered for an elite whose only "entitlement" is their cheek.

Edited by The Last Bear

We're all being suckered for an elite whose only "entitlement" is their cheek.

Nothing says you can't try and join them... better to strive to be better than be bettered

Nothing says you can't try and join them... better to strive to be better than be bettered

(a) I could never lie to make money or a commission - to con someone into believing my smile was genuine - rather than just sales patter to make some cash whether legal or more than would be honest

( b ) When I do work it is in the field of helping society's vulnerable, may not bring the flash cars and penthouses, may cause me the anxiety of having less means than I would like, but at least it's honest and meaningful

Edited by The Last Bear

(a) I could never lie to make money or a commission - to con someone into believing my smile was genuine - rather than just sales patter to make some cash whether legal or more than would be honest

( b ) When I do work it is in the field of helping society's vulnerable, may not bring the flash cars and penthouses, may cause me the anxiety of having less means than I would like, but at least it's honest and meaningful

That is a moral decision you have made (and a very good one in my opinion) but the downside is the way it rewarded, as I said in another post the world of sales is fraught with risk, I have been made redundant 4 times and my annual salary has irregularly fluctuated between £40k - £250k over the past 12 years so it is not exactly a life you can pin a plan on.

Secondly certainly in the world of proffesional sales, the liars and BS'ers soon get filtered out and end up in the world of Solar Panel selling. The market I sell in to (retail software systems) is based on relationship, trust and saving money for retailers

I don't dispute the BS merchants exist but they don't get very far, those that have made (rather than inherited) a lot of market have usually taken huge personal risk and worked very hard for it

That is a moral decision you have made (and a very good one in my opinion) but the downside is the way it rewarded, as I said in another post the world of sales is fraught with risk, I have been made redundant 4 times and my annual salary has irregularly fluctuated between £40k - £250k over the past 12 years so it is not exactly a life you can pin a plan on.

Secondly certainly in the world of proffesional sales, the liars and BS'ers soon get filtered out and end up in the world of Solar Panel selling. The market I sell in to (retail software systems) is based on relationship, trust and saving money for retailers

I don't dispute the BS merchants exist but they don't get very far, those that have made (rather than inherited) a lot of market have usually taken huge personal risk and worked very hard for it

M H, I hope all's well with your situation now. £250K a year would probably have set me up happy for life though!! :)

M H, I hope all's well with your situation now. £250K a year would probably have set me up happy for life though!! :)

I would have done except the tax man snaffled £100k of that and my ex-wife took the rest :angry:

The biggest downside of a life in sales seems to be divorce by default... you tend to work too hard and travel a lot leaving the wife to seek solace elsewhere.... it's a funny world but onward and upward

Edited by Matt Henson

I would have done except the tax man snaffled £100k of that and my ex-wife took the rest :angry:

The biggest downside of a life in sales seems to be divorce by default... you tend to work too hard and travel a lot leaving the wife to seek solace elsewhere.... it's a funny world but onward and upward

Sorry to read that, someone else will bring you happiness I'm sure.

Sorry to read that, someone else will bring you happiness I'm sure.

She already has but the ex-wife still taps me for a mere £1300 a month.... moral of the story, avoid getting divorced if you can bare it!!! :(

Oh Matty, in true landlord style...not taking care of business.

Is it a wee bit small Matty?