House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
muggle

Nimbys Shooting Themselves In The Foot

Out of reach for country dwellers

Successive governments have identified the lack of affordable housing in the British countryside as a problem.

Successive governments have also tried - and largely failed - to come up with a solution.

Put simply, the issue is that people who have grown up in the countryside, who work in perfectly respectable but moderately paid jobs, cannot afford to make their own home in their home community.

Clearly it is a problem for those struggling to keep families together and protect their way of life.

A group of eight mates, most of them builders and tradesmen, have bought a plot on the edge of the village with a plan to build their own affordable homes.

For Roland Michell it offers the chance to stay in the place he grew up and where his mother still lives...

"The natural progress is for you to get married, buy a house and have a family. But for us it just hasn't been that way."

But despite the backing of many villagers, there is a reminder here that trying to "buck the market" to provide subsidised housing can be a hugely controversial move.

I sat and had tea with a group of locals who are dead against the proposed "affordable" development.

For them there should be no "right" to live anywhere. They reminded me that their own, mega-expensive, houses were bought at the full market price, and that any development which reduces the value of their property is simply not fair.

Source

Where do I even start on this one?!

This attitude makes my pi$$ boil!

Their own community is dying before their very eyes - no young working families mean schools and shops close.

Their greatest concern is the perceived house value! :blink:

FFS! :angry:

Source

Their own community is dying before their very eyes - no young working families mean schools and shops close.

Yeah, that attitude totally stinks. I have a friend from a small village in Cornwall, but he now lives in London. Most of his friends back home are still living with their parents despite being in their mid-twenties because they can't afford property, either to rent or buy. Half his village is deserted during the week because of all the second homes and the local pub and shop are close to collapsing financially as a result. Second homes should just be banned period. If you want to work in the city then you live in the city, and vice versa.

Edited by JohnnyB

Source

In the old days a farmer who needed affordable housing for farm workers would approach his council and say:

Err thee - lets do a deal. I give up space for 10 houses which you build and 5 house my farm workers.

Everyone a winner - farmer gets accomodation for workers, council gets 5 houses for general population and rents from 10.

I'll wager that they're the ones kicking up the biggest fuss about post office closures. ****** 'em.

same here. ive no sympathy for closing rural facilities. they think the taxpayer should subsidise, but luckily, the tax payer has more pressing problems.

so buses, stores and post offices, pubs and home helps. nope - it costs too much.

if they want those facilities - they should sell up and move back to the nearest city.

nimby cake - the only cake you can have AND eat...

Typical 'Middle Class' British Pompous W@nkers if you ask me.

A group of people priced out of their local area decide to take action and with a touch of entrepeneurial spirit rarely seen during the HPI fueled mania of the last decade, take it upon themselves to build some homes for themselves.

All the local villagers can do is whinge. The houses will have to fit in with the surroundings for planning to have been granted and as the houses are being built to live in by the people building them, they will no doubt be well built and spacious rather than a pre fab slavebox.

Typical 'Middle Class' British Pompous W@nkers if you ask me.

A group of people priced out of their local area decide to take action and with a touch of entrepeneurial spirit rarely seen during the HPI fueled mania of the last decade, take it upon themselves to build some homes for themselves.

All the local villagers can do is whinge. The houses will have to fit in with the surroundings for planning to have been granted and as the houses are being built to live in by the people building them, they will no doubt be well built and spacious rather than a pre fab slavebox.

There seems to be a decent chunk of the population that instinctively says 'no' to ANY proposed development. Even if the BoE decided to build a new printing press works on the edge of the village and split half the output with the villagers, that'd probably complain that they could see a bit of the top of it by craning their neck out of their second spare bedroom..

same here. ive no sympathy for closing rural facilities. they think the taxpayer should subsidise, but luckily, the tax payer has more pressing problems.

so buses, stores and post offices, pubs and home helps. nope - it costs too much.

if they want those facilities - they should sell up and move back to the nearest city.

According to Fred Harrison originally people paid rent to the landlord according to the the level of public services

the area provided. So you paid more to live in the city than you would in the country because their was more facilities.

Then the landlords decided they didnt want to pay for these services and wanted keep the money for themselves so then

the public services were paid out of taxes. So people had to pay an additional sum for these services.

Now the con has got even worse the taxes people pay for services don't seem to be even going on the services as they

are being privatized and if you want them you have to pay for them and services are being cut back.

So we are paying taxes and not getting the services.

People understandably are no longer willing to pay more taxes but as is starting to happen in the USA it is people

depending on these services that are going to be hit, which is a downward spiral into no or poor services and degeneration of communities.

Taxpayers say no

But only for the poor. The well off can still get good education, health care, social care and leisure etc

Its the poor that will suffer. It is going back to victorian times if you can afford it all well and good, if you can't

you will have to do without. It has got to a stage kids cant even go swimming or play a game of football if the parents

cant pay. These things were free or extremely cheap when I was a kid.

Let it not be forgotten that although it is true that the whole of South Devon and almost all of Cornwall has priced out its own people, particularly in Cornwall the part cause of this is many Cornish themselves being very keen to fully exploit the property they do own by flogging it renting it out or holiday letting it to the very highest bidder. In South Devon it is the invasion by retired advertising execs, lawyers and city grandees which has pushed up prices beyond the hope of anyone born in Devon in the last 20 years. In Cornwall it is partly an invasion and partly the Cornish people who have gleefully made a killing at the expense of their own county's population.

VP

One of the problems is that everyone wants a village shop (who wouldn't?), but when push comes to shove they drive to Tesco to do the weekly shop -- if they even live in the village at all. The only way those old-style village facilities can come back, is when personal transport gets too expensive for the potential customers to shop/live/work elsewhere.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Get the group to buy a bus, paint it in dreadful colours, park up on a Nimby lawn and live there. Shit out of the windows.

One of the problems is that everyone wants a village shop (who wouldn't?), but when push comes to shove they drive to Tesco to do the weekly shop -- if they even live in the village at all. The only way those old-style village facilities can come back, is when personal transport gets too expensive for the potential customers to shop/live/work elsewhere.

That was the point I was trying to make.

By the time they realise how selfish they have been (bringing about their own downfall in the process) it will be too late.

To be fair a lot of people can see what is happening and are supportive of schemes like this, sadly the vocal minority spoil things for everyone.

Edited to add quote I was replying to :lol:

Edited by muggle

In the old days a farmer who needed affordable housing for farm workers would approach his council and say:

Err thee - lets do a deal. I give up space for 10 houses which you build and 5 house my farm workers.

Everyone a winner - farmer gets accomodation for workers, council gets 5 houses for general population and rents from 10.

These days the sleazy developer approaches the farmer and says "let me knock down these 10 houses and I can build 40 'executive apartments". :)

But only for the poor. The well off can still get good education, health care, social care and leisure etc

Its the poor that will suffer. It is going back to victorian times if you can afford it all well and good, if you can't

you will have to do without. It has got to a stage kids cant even go swimming or play a game of football if the parents

cant pay. These things were free or extremely cheap when I was a kid.

£6 a week subs for my son to play football, gone up by £1 from last season a 20% increase. Mystic Merv was unavailable for comment over this new inflationary pressure on the economy but apparently a rate is on the cards to tackle this new inflationary phenomenon.

Who cares about the poor as they choose to be poor, if they wanted wealth they would go and get themselves a job in the City, obviously first they would need to get a eduction which yes they need to pay for but if you don't want to be poor you would get yourself educated you see the poor are just lazy.

£6 a week subs for my son to play football, gone up by £1 from last season a 20% increase. Mystic Merv was unavailable for comment over this new inflationary pressure on the economy but apparently a rate is on the cards to tackle this new inflationary phenomenon.

Who cares about the poor as they choose to be poor, if they wanted wealth they would go and get themselves a job in the City, obviously first they would need to get a eduction which yes they need to pay for but if you don't want to be poor you would get yourself educated you see the poor are just lazy.

My wife has just said she doesn't have enough for the youngest's swimming lessons £56 for a term because

she is 2 days short because she went on strike and they have docked more than they should have.

Now a couple of points.

When I was a kid the school taught us swimming and it was free.

Like all these after school activities that the teachers used to do for free, they now refuse to do because of the way they have been treated in the past. It has been taken over by private companies. So now parents have to pay for it but now can't afford to so the kids sports activities suffer.

She felt she had to go on strike because they wasn't getting a decent wage in the first place.

My wife is often bringing work home and doing stuff that is well beyond what she is paid for and now I have told her

that if they want to be like that don't do any work you don't have to, in effect work to rule, ****** em.

Those City bankers are suffering from even higher inflation. The price of the FT has gone up some 23%!!!

My wife has just said she doesn't have enough for the youngest's swimming lessons £56 for a term because

she is 2 days short because she went on strike and they have docked more than they should have.

Now a couple of points.

When I was a kid the school taught us swimming and it was free.

Like all these after school activities that the teachers used to do for free, they now refuse to do because of the way they have been treated in the past. It has been taken over by private companies. So now parents have to pay for it but now can't afford to so the kids sports activities suffer.

She felt she had to go on strike because they wasn't getting a decent wage in the first place.

My wife is often bringing work home and doing stuff that is well beyond what she is paid for and now I have told her

that if they want to be like that don't do any work you don't have to, in effect work to rule, ****** em.

I really don't think it will be that simple.

price is still the biggest reason that most people go to the bigger box stores, and convenience (having a lot of goods in one spot)

for the smaller businesses to survive, they really need to do more than just stand there and hope for the best.

I would really like to see the smaller shops working together more, in buying co-ops etc, so that they can get better price discounts, instead of each one trying to take on Tesco's alone.