House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterwill

Too Young!?

I was due to move into a quite expensive Manchester city centre flat this Friday, and now suddernly the landlord has turned round and said that i'm too young (22) and refuses to let me in there!

I have my dad as a Guarentor and have offered to meet him in person aswell but he's keeping his answer as a firm NO.

I know for a fact that the flat has been on the market for a few months and has had 2 price reductions, is he insane?

I'm a working man, and if I wanted a place to trash then i'd get one, not one of the most expensive 1 beds in the city?

It's really annoyed me as I liked the flat and now I have to wait untill something perfect comes up, which could be months...

My experience of estate agents and so forth has been that they're not bothered about you or your money, with the exception of one (0161 lettings).

: /

I was due to move into a quite expensive Manchester city centre flat this Friday, and now suddernly the landlord has turned round and said that i'm too young (22) and refuses to let me in there!

I have my dad as a Guarentor and have offered to meet him in person aswell but he's keeping his answer as a firm NO.

I know for a fact that the flat has been on the market for a few months and has had 2 price reductions, is he insane?

I'm a working man, and if I wanted a place to trash then i'd get one, not one of the most expensive 1 beds in the city?

It's really annoyed me as I liked the flat and now I have to wait untill something perfect comes up, which could be months...

My experience of estate agents and so forth has been that they're not bothered about you or your money, with the exception of one (0161 lettings).

Do you have a counter signed contract? if you do, you have an obsolute right to occupy the property, if not tough luck

Well, he's just lost a tenant and your cash.

F*ck him off and give your money to someone who appreciates your custom. Frustrating though it is. Perhaps it is one of life's warning signs that it wasn't meant to be.

I would still be inclined at your age to see your first venture into renting as a learning experience and go for something manageable for 6 months. The beauty of renting is you can then spend that time deciding what you like/don't and find something different the next time around whilst saving cash.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be, depending on whether you believe in that kind of thing :P

The term was going to be 6months of renting the flat, just to catch the vibe of what lifes like in a place like that

Just a thought - doesn't this fall foul of the Age Discrimination laws? I thought that businesses had to be able to justify their discrimination actuarially (eg life insurance rates) for it to be legal. Or isn't this legislation in force yet?

Aw, shucks:

What do the regulations mean?

The new laws give individuals important new rights, extend existing rights and remove traditional barriers.

They apply to all employers, private and public sector, vocational training providers, trade unions, professional organisations, employer organisations and trustees and managers of occupational pension schemes. They cover employees of any age, and other workers, office holders, partners of firms and others. They cover recruitment, terms and conditions, promotions, transfers, dismissals and training.

They do not cover provision of goods and services.

Though this will probably be addressed in the new equality bill.

Hi will

You say that the LL wont allow you the flat because of age but then go on to say that its the agents you have a grudge against?

Is the little plug at the end an advert for someone?

Aw, shucks:

What do the regulations mean?

The new laws give individuals important new rights, extend existing rights and remove traditional barriers.

They apply to all employers, private and public sector, vocational training providers, trade unions, professional organisations, employer organisations and trustees and managers of occupational pension schemes. They cover employees of any age, and other workers, office holders, partners of firms and others. They cover recruitment, terms and conditions, promotions, transfers, dismissals and training.

They do not cover provision of goods and services.

Though this will probably be addressed in the new equality bill.

If only the UK would catch up with the Republic of Ireland!

In 2000, the Equal Status Act came into operation. This law sought to promote equality, prohibit certain kinds of discrimination and prohibit harassment. In effect, the law extended the ban on discrimination to anybody buying goods, using services, obtaining accommodation and attending educational establishments on the same nine grounds as the Employment Equality Act, including age.

There has never been an upper age limit for the application of the Equal Status Act and people of all ages are protected by its provisions. The Equality Authority gives advice on the operation of this act also.

Of course there are exceptions but the type of blatant age discrimination encountered by the OP would be illegal under Irish law.

Dublin's not that far from Manchester... ;)

Hi will

You say that the LL wont allow you the flat because of age but then go on to say that its the agents you have a grudge against?

Is the little plug at the end an advert for someone?

I mentioned the estate agents because i'm sick of the entire process, i've been messed about alot by estate agents on top of the landlord doing what he did.

On the negative side of 0161 lettings, most listings on there website are old and have been taken and stuff, there far from perfect.

*waits*

Serve him right if your Dad rented it in his name & you lived there. Not taking someone when they have a parental guarantee is absurd - the whole student market runs on that basis!

Serve him right if your Dad rented it in his name & you lived there. Not taking someone when they have a parental guarantee is absurd - the whole student market runs on that basis!

I've never even needed a parental guarantee, even while at Uni. I was 19 when I rented my first flat with two friends of similar age and we had no problems. We did slightly wreck the place though but the LL kept our deposit (fair enough, we did way more damage).

We did slightly wreck the place though but the LL kept our deposit (fair enough, we did way more damage).

I familiar story (guilty of it myself although not intentionally) It is amazing the damaging capacity of 70kg of drunken dead weight

Which takes us back to square one and why LL don't rent to young lads (and laddets) ;);)

the last thing I want to do is cause damage to the place and lose my deposit :(

Sadly I suspect you are the exception to the rule which I guess is why you find yourself discriminated against

the last thing I want to do is cause damage to the place and lose my deposit :(

I can't see the problem for a single person in a one bed flat.

Since i've been in a one bed I rarely have people round as we have little space. However, in larger flats/houses we have quite a few people round and things do tend to get wrecked a bit. However, I know people in their late 20s/early 30s who have big parties in their rented flats, so age doesn't really tell you that much.

I familiar story (guilty of it myself although not intentionally) It is amazing the damaging capacity of 70kg of drunken dead weight

Which takes us back to square one and why LL don't rent to young lads (and laddets) ;);)

And why most LLs demand a parental guarantee! With a bit of luck, it means that the mums and dads will descend at the end of the year with an arsenal of cleaning fluids & Black & Deckers to sort out most of the damage....

And why most LLs demand a parental guarantee! With a bit of luck, it means that the mums and dads will descend at the end of the year with an arsenal of cleaning fluids & Black & Deckers to sort out most of the damage....

Not a chance with my parents...

It the rugby playing friend who drinks 15 pints that causes most of the damage, they sort of land on things that just splinter under the weight, I had to replace an entire kitchen carcarse once to avoid the wrath of my LL when I was at Uni.

Another time my lovely flatmates had a wild party the night before they left the flat and did a runner leaving me to clean up... ho ho bloody funny! I cleaned the flat beautifully and kept the deposit because the LL paid it back in cash when she inspected the flat so I got the last laugh and £500 to the bargain :lol:

Edited by Matt Henson

It the rugby playing friend who drinks 15 pints that causes most of the damage, they sort of land on things that just splinter under the weight, I had to replace an entire kitchen carcarse once to avoid the wrath of my LL when I was at Uni.

Another time my lovely flatmates had a wild party the night before they left the flat and did a runner leaving me to clean up... ho ho bloody funny! I cleaned the flat beautifully and kept the deposit because the LL paid it back in cash when she inspected the flat so I got the last laugh and £500 to the bargain :lol:

The mills of God grind slow....

The mills of God grind slow....

I think the worse repair I had to do was mend the walls in the halls of residence after "ice climbing" on the plaster (axe, hammer and crampons!) also landed me a big fine and a campus ban... learnt my lesson then at the tender age of 19!