House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Visited Without Telling Me

Peridot

HOLA441

This is my first post on HPC although I've been visiting the site for 18 months and am now addicted! Any advice would be much appreciated. I moved into a rented property one month ago (I STR'd). The letting agent is in some way connected with the property but am not sure how - his office address is on the lease but he originally stated the house is owned by a farmer. This morning I noticed that the latch on the gate to the back garden was not as I left it and had been oiled. Also, a freestanding trellis (4.5 foot high) which I had bought to block off the second access to rear (no gate) had moved. Obviously someone has squeezed past to gain access to the back garden within the last 7 days.

The house I live in is in a small village, quite wealthy and strangers would be noticed so I think it's either the landlord or his workmen. I was not told that anyone needed to gain access to the property and the lease states that I must be given 24 hours' notice in writing unless it's an emergency. On 7th July I was asked to move the trellis for a period of one week to allow a gutter to be cleaned. As far as I know this had been completed and I moved the trellis immediately back and cleared up the significant mess left behind. There has been no correspondence with the agent since then.

I'm really bothered by this unannounced visit especially as I'm a women living on my own. I also experienced more than one incident of dodgy people hanging around the back of my last house which was in a dodgy area, consequently I felt very vulnerable. I did mention this to the agent (not in detail but I did say that I had experienced problems with the rear of the property and this was one reason I had sold the house. I added this was why I had bought the trellis planter as when I moved in anyone could walk 360 degrees around the property freely). Please can anyone advise how best to handle this as I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. The agent so far has been pleasant but I'm wary of his involvement/attachment to the property (which only came out after I had signed up). I've signed a 1 year lease which I don't plan on renewing however I'm actually regretting moving here (for other reasons) and wish I'd only signed up for 6 months. However if I have to stay until June then so be it. I want to make it clear that visits without telling me cannot happen again however I'd also be interested to know if this incident could be used to break the lease without penalty? Or, am I causing a fuss over nothing???

HOLA442
HOLA443
This is my first post on HPC although I've been visiting the site for 18 months and am now addicted! Any advice would be much appreciated. I moved into a rented property one month ago (I STR'd). The letting agent is in some way connected with the property but am not sure how - his office address is on the lease but he originally stated the house is owned by a farmer. This morning I noticed that the latch on the gate to the back garden was not as I left it and had been oiled. Also, a freestanding trellis (4.5 foot high) which I had bought to block off the second access to rear (no gate) had moved. Obviously someone has squeezed past to gain access to the back garden within the last 7 days.

The house I live in is in a small village, quite wealthy and strangers would be noticed so I think it's either the landlord or his workmen. I was not told that anyone needed to gain access to the property and the lease states that I must be given 24 hours' notice in writing unless it's an emergency. On 7th July I was asked to move the trellis for a period of one week to allow a gutter to be cleaned. As far as I know this had been completed and I moved the trellis immediately back and cleared up the significant mess left behind. There has been no correspondence with the agent since then.

I'm really bothered by this unannounced visit especially as I'm a women living on my own. I also experienced more than one incident of dodgy people hanging around the back of my last house which was in a dodgy area, consequently I felt very vulnerable. I did mention this to the agent (not in detail but I did say that I had experienced problems with the rear of the property and this was one reason I had sold the house. I added this was why I had bought the trellis planter as when I moved in anyone could walk 360 degrees around the property freely). Please can anyone advise how best to handle this as I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. The agent so far has been pleasant but I'm wary of his involvement/attachment to the property (which only came out after I had signed up). I've signed a 1 year lease which I don't plan on renewing however I'm actually regretting moving here (for other reasons) and wish I'd only signed up for 6 months. However if I have to stay until June then so be it. I want to make it clear that visits without telling me cannot happen again however I'd also be interested to know if this incident could be used to break the lease without penalty? Or, am I causing a fuss over nothing???

In effect you have the same rights as a home owner and anybody stepping foot on your property is trespass under your statatory right to "Quiet Enjoyment" which is enshined in law.

Trespass its self is a useless law because you have to prove damage was done and a claim for broken blades of grass won't get you very far but repeated acts of trespass in a letting situation is considered harresment which you can do something about although in my experience the police won't actually respond to anything other than threats of violence

I would write to the agent explain that you feel that somebody has entered the property without your permission state that whilst you are sure it was nothing to do with them they should be of your right to quiet enjoyment and the legal requirement for 24 hours notice to be given for a valid reason in conection with the maintenance of the property. Then tell them that you will be contacting the police if it happens again.

Other reason like valuations etc. should have been done before you moved in and are a breach of quiet enjoyment, also if you feel the request is unnesecary you can refuse entry, they can't just give you 24 hours notice and let themselves in it has be convienent for you (except in emergencies) The flip side is you can not refuse entry for a valid reason such as a repair under their obligation to maintain the property although you are at liberty to change the timing if it is not convenient.

On you final question, you could break the lease if it really turned in to hostile harrasment but the occasional unproven (i.e. obvious by circumstance) visit to the garden will not give you valid grounds to leave. I have been in a similar situation and the legal advice was not to leave

HOLA444

You need to read your lease.

Usually a LL or an agent can maintain the property. Often times there is a gardener or workman appointed to do work.

I wouldnt imagine that oiling a gate, cleaning drains or cutting a hedge in any way breaches your agreement.

If in doubt contact the agent and asked to be notified in advance.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to have someone maintain my place......

HOLA445
You need to read your lease.

Usually a LL or an agent can maintain the property. Often times there is a gardener or workman appointed to do work.

I wouldnt imagine that oiling a gate, cleaning drains or cutting a hedge in any way breaches your agreement.

If in doubt contact the agent and asked to be notified in advance.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to have someone maintain my place......

Thanks to all the replies - much appreciated. I'm happy to have maintenance carried out (especially since I'm used to having to do that myself) but the lease clearly reads that notice must be given. I am also responsible for maintaining the garden so there is no need for the landlord to access it. It's not what work the landlord has done that bothers me (the oiled latch is much better) but it's the act of waiting whilst I'm at work and going in and doing it without telling me which I consider to be cheeky.

HOLA446

At this point you may be being a bit paranoid because of your previous experiences. Possibilities include that the agent employs a gardener who goes round several properties and, perhaps not surprisingly his working hours coincide with yours. ****-up rather than conspiracy, in other words.

If you you put your concerns in writing you are putting the agent on notice that he needs to be ultra careful - he may mentally label you as a paranoid old bat or something equally unflattering, but Hey, as long as it does the job, who cares?

Make it clear that you will regard repeated intrusions as harassment (make sure you use that word) and will report all invasions to the police as potentially criminal if you don't have notice of them. (After all, you don't KNOW it's not a mad axeman, do you?)The police may not DO anything, but the fact that they are being informed will give the agent pause for thought.

Enjoy the summer in your new rural retreat and try to keep any problems in proportion!

HOLA447
At this point you may be being a bit paranoid because of your previous experiences. Possibilities include that the agent employs a gardener who goes round several properties and, perhaps not surprisingly his working hours coincide with yours. ****-up rather than conspiracy, in other words.

If you you put your concerns in writing you are putting the agent on notice that he needs to be ultra careful - he may mentally label you as a paranoid old bat or something equally unflattering, but Hey, as long as it does the job, who cares?

Make it clear that you will regard repeated intrusions as harassment (make sure you use that word) and will report all invasions to the police as potentially criminal if you don't have notice of them. (After all, you don't KNOW it's not a mad axeman, do you?)The police may not DO anything, but the fact that they are being informed will give the agent pause for thought.

Enjoy the summer in your new rural retreat and try to keep any problems in proportion!

Thanks for the advice Cartimandua. Have got to the bottom now of what happened after speaking with the agent. Am just cautious as in my last place I had drug dealing and people having sex all going on in my passageway and street. Then someone s**t right in front of my back gate which I had to clear up. Then a drug dealer moved in next door for a while. After five years of that it takes a while to try and lose the paranoia!

HOLA448
Thanks to all the replies - much appreciated. I'm happy to have maintenance carried out (especially since I'm used to having to do that myself) but the lease clearly reads that notice must be given. I am also responsible for maintaining the garden so there is no need for the landlord to access it. It's not what work the landlord has done that bothers me (the oiled latch is much better) but it's the act of waiting whilst I'm at work and going in and doing it without telling me which I consider to be cheeky.

I think what has happened to you is an absolute disgrace, and the advice you have recieved from landlords on HPC regarding this matter is equally a disgrace.

What are the moderators doing here?

Tresspass is illegal without your prior consent, it is breaking and entering and you are perfectly entitled to call the police on this matter. I would strongly advise you to do so. Maintenance must be done on an agreed date/time which is convenient to yourself. Stop payment, and tell the agent you are not paying until this matter is dealt with.

Don't pay a penny more until they compensate you fully for this blatant harrassment. Do you need to see a councillor because of this? Did this cause you extreme anxiety?

I remember when my parents home was burgled, my mum was literally fretting, my father and I were fine, it affects women in a very deep way. We had to move as mother couldn't cope. I found out who it was too. :ph34r: These are scum, no better than letting agents who turn a blind eye, and deserve treating similarly.

Get advice. Good advice.

Good luck Peridot

Edited by renterbob

HOLA449

What is this - stupid week?

Peridot should report this serious matter to the police immediately, and the crime reference number obtained will at least give her proof the police will look into this, and a reference to follow up with solicitors if necessary.

As a man, I wouldn't give a damned, but a single woman on her own, even you should think carefully before giving this type of advice cartmandau.....God help your female tenants......

HOLA4410
I think what has happened to you is an absolute disgrace, and the advice you have recieved from landlords on HPC regarding this matter is equally a disgrace.

Tresspass is illegal without your prior consent, it is breaking and entering and you are perfectly entitled to call the police on this matter. I would strongly advise you to do so. Maintenance must be done on an agreed date/time which is convenient to yourself. Stop payment, and tell the agent you are not paying until this matter is dealt with.

Don't pay a penny more until they compensate you fully for this blatant harrassment. Do you need to see a councillor because of this? Did this cause you extreme anxiety?

I remember when my parents home was burgled, my mum was literally fretting, my father and I were fine, it affects women in a very deep way. We had to move as mother couldn't cope. I found out who it was too. :ph34r: These are scum, no better than letting agents who turn a blind eye, and deserve treating similarly.

Get advice. Good advice.

Good luck Peridot

Thankyou Renterbob. Your posts reassured me that I'm not totally overreacting. You are spot on when you say women are affected differently to men. We can be more emotionally connected to our homes and safety is usually foremost in our minds. As a young woman, I find any unannounced visits can be unnerving. Any male landlords/agents out there, please take note! (PS - glad you found your parents' burglar Renterbob!)

HOLA4411

Get advice. Good advice.

Good luck Peridot

Renterbob - meant to add on previous post that I empathise with your mum totally. I don't think I could stay in a home that had been burgled. Sorry to hear that happened.