House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geneer

Lloyds Tsb Scottish Monitor House Price Index

Same here. Never easy to get. I was actually surprised to hear it mentioned this morning on the BBC. It used to be their survey of choice - to show random huge changes over a period of time. Been absent for about a year now though ? Maybe their figures were not acceptable to the BBC over this period ?

Even on the news this morning the bias was apparent. Only mentioned the quarterly rise, which is pretty much pointless by itself. The YOY fall was not even mentioned on the TV. Now if the fall was QOQ and the rise YOY ?

I wonder..rolleyes.gif

Found one courtesy of google. This was for the 2st quarter of this year by the looks of it.

Lloyds

Not surprisingly the QOQ and YOY fall were both negative. Wonder why we never heard about it. :rolleyes:

Actually have a look at the graph on the report. Looks like the index has been falling for at least 4 quarters now.

Looks like the last report showing any sort of rise was in Q2 2008.

Wait a second. What was that I said in my previous post ? Yes - havent seen this report in any shape or form for at least a year.

The bias in the supposedely neutral BBC is really ridiculous.

Woops - never noticed the same link earlier !!

Same report by the look of it. Very interesting table. Not for the numbers - but for the annual change column.

Heading - UNDERLYING ANNUAL INCREASE

6 of the 8 showed decreases, yet the column header is INCREASE. :blink:

I am going to have to stop getting annoyed at this piss. I know they will be shown to be wrong in the end. However the shameless lying to young people - to get them to make what may be a hugely bad decision ?

Shameless. Brutal. Really is lower than low.

Donald McRae, Chief - something.

August 2007:

Lloyds TSB

He added: “The rate of increase of property prices in Scotland has slowed significantly but a fall in house prices remains unlikely. The Scottish housing market may be down, but it is certainly not out.”

February 2008:

Lloyds

Professor Donald MacRae, chief economist at Lloyds TSB Scotland, said that, despite the fall in prices for the quarter, the market was showing a ‘sensible’ adjustment after years of price increases above the rate of inflation.

MacRae concluded: “The prospects for the Scottish housing market are for a plateauing of prices during 2008 following the significant gains in the last five years. The Scottish housing market is pausing for breath.”

Lloyds TSB INDEX from Q1 2008:

This post is probably the only place in the entire World where his quite useless and incorrect comments have been publicly queried.

How do I get one of these job. :D

Woops - never noticed the same link earlier !!

Same report by the look of it. Very interesting table. Not for the numbers - but for the annual change column.

Heading - UNDERLYING ANNUAL INCREASE

6 of the 8 showed decreases, yet the column header is INCREASE. :blink:

I am going to have to stop getting annoyed at this piss. I know they will be shown to be wrong in the end. However the shameless lying to young people - to get them to make what may be a hugely bad decision ?

Shameless. Brutal. Really is lower than low.

Agreed.

Strange that the BBC went through a purge over cheating in quizzes (boo fugging hoo, who did that actually hurt!) and yet here they are giving misleading information that far from impartial and is as biased as anything emanating from a dictatorial banana republic newsroom, and they apparently get away with it !!!

Agreed.

Strange that the BBC went through a purge over cheating in quizzes (boo fugging hoo, who did that actually hurt!) and yet here they are giving misleading information that far from impartial and is as biased as anything emanating from a dictatorial banana republic newsroom, and they apparently get away with it !!!

Someone high up in BBC Scotland has a SERIOUS interest in property, in a big way. I would bet a lot of money on that. Would be interesting to know just who though.

I watch the news in the morning before work. Virtually every day. Usually complete pish but gives me an idea of what is being fed to us masses !! For about 2 years BBC Scotland has had a simple premise - high property prices = good. It has been non stop. 100%. I have never seen even one story about price falls being good for anyone. Any price falls being greeted with a bit of a balanced report. Nothing. In probably 2 years. Any little snippet of things not being too bad ? Instant story. Any other large stories with a serious negative slant ? Completely ignored.

If I could be bothered complaining I would. However I would need evidence of this bias. If I had kept a log of the stories over the past 2 years maybe it would get somewhere.

Someone high up in BBC Scotland has a SERIOUS interest in property, in a big way. I would bet a lot of money on that. Would be interesting to know just who though.

I watch the news in the morning before work. Virtually every day. Usually complete pish but gives me an idea of what is being fed to us masses !! For about 2 years BBC Scotland has had a simple premise - high property prices = good. It has been non stop. 100%. I have never seen even one story about price falls being good for anyone. Any price falls being greeted with a bit of a balanced report. Nothing. In probably 2 years. Any little snippet of things not being too bad ? Instant story. Any other large stories with a serious negative slant ? Completely ignored.

If I could be bothered complaining I would. However I would need evidence of this bias. If I had kept a log of the stories over the past 2 years maybe it would get somewhere.

- Sadly the truth is far more inane. I don't think conspiracy theories stand up other than the boring truth that there is a lack of appetite for challenging so called "official figures". All any of us can do is challenge them by complaining. Frequently. Until the swell of complaints chisels a path into their narrow minded and quite wrong, illogical view point. A swell of complaints won't be ignored, that's not how these people work.

On a different note - did anyone see SOS business section yesterday? business man complaining his new build "undervalued" by bank, causing him to "lose the property". Tho thankfully AMA were kind enough to agree to refund his non returnable deposit, to compensate for the nasty lender who caused him to lose the house. Bloody hell - why not let these people buy overpriced new builds and cope with the years of negative equity - if they are going to spout this guff in the papers, they deserve it.

- Sadly the truth is far more inane. I don't think conspiracy theories stand up other than the boring truth that there is a lack of appetite for challenging so called "official figures". All any of us can do is challenge them by complaining. Frequently. Until the swell of complaints chisels a path into their narrow minded and quite wrong, illogical view point. A swell of complaints won't be ignored, that's not how these people work.

On a different note - did anyone see SOS business section yesterday? business man complaining his new build "undervalued" by bank, causing him to "lose the property". Tho thankfully AMA were kind enough to agree to refund his non returnable deposit, to compensate for the nasty lender who caused him to lose the house. Bloody hell - why not let these people buy overpriced new builds and cope with the years of negative equity - if they are going to spout this guff in the papers, they deserve it.

Don't quite get that. If there is a lack of appetite in these places to challenge 'official figures' - just where are these 'official figures' coming from ? Because if BBC Scotland was simply reporting on publicly available stats ? They would have negative stories on a weekly basis. There would be a balance. However there simply is not.

So there clearly is someone/something behind the scenes choosing what stories to put out and what little snippets to select.

Not even the BBC national programmes lower themselves to this level.

Don't quite get that. If there is a lack of appetite in these places to challenge 'official figures' - just where are these 'official figures' coming from ? Because if BBC Scotland was simply reporting on publicly available stats ? They would have negative stories on a weekly basis. There would be a balance. However there simply is not.

So there clearly is someone/something behind the scenes choosing what stories to put out and what little snippets to select.

Not even the BBC national programmes lower themselves to this level.

To be honest, I don't think there is any more self interest going on in that newsroom than in any other office of self-interested home owners who've smugly reigned over ridiculously overblown price rises. I reckon the figures they use are the ones that best serve their world view, but i don't think there is any conspiracy to make this so, other than a general deliberate ignorance.

To be honest, I don't think there is any more self interest going on in that newsroom than in any other office of self-interested home owners who've smugly reigned over ridiculously overblown price rises. I reckon the figures they use are the ones that best serve their world view, but i don't think there is any conspiracy to make this so, other than a general deliberate ignorance.

May be true. Are all newspapers run by middle aged recently mortgaged to the hilt wannabe property developers..:D

May be true. Are all newspapers run by middle aged recently mortgaged to the hilt wannabe property developers..:D

They are owned by rich people. It is an investment. They put up with the direct financial losses in exchange for the power to influence the public and hence to have politicians on a string. This influence converts into profits in other parts of their business empire (and panders to huge egos.)

In order to squeeze the most out of their investment they seek to marginalise, control, or destroy any alternative media and seek puppets who will on command decry said obstacles to their power. Usually covering their goal of universal slavery with the label of freedom. (One R. Murdoch comes to mind.)

In other words they do not need to be property developers, they can own the property developers any time they want.

Same here. Never easy to get.

From the sheet.

Notes to Editors

The Lloyds TSB Scotland House Price Monitor, established in 1992, is the only such index devoted exclusively to Scotland.

A copy of the Scottish House Price Monitor is available on request by calling Wendy Evans on 0131 260 0269 or by sending

an e-mail to wendy.evans@lloydstsb.co.uk

Anyone fance chancing their luck?

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Shock-as-city-house-prices.5826906.jp

HOUSE prices in Edinburgh have fallen by nearly 12 per cent in the last three months, it was revealed today.

The Capital's poor performance came as a surprise and goes against the trend of a modest house price recovery in the rest of Scotland, which has seen the average cost of home rise by 0.7 per cent in the last quarter.

The average home in Scotland now costs £153,605, compared with £152,561 three months ago, according to figures contained in the latest Scottish House Price Monitor by Lloyds TSB.

Almost that time again. Must be out in a few days. Will be interesting to see.

If the numbers are all negative - I will be very surprised if it is headline news on the BBC all day - like it was for the last results. If it is mostly positive ? It sure as hell will be. I am 95% confident of that.

Well - have to admit the Reporting Scotland story this morning was pretty reasonable. Started off on the prices rising part - of course. However spent just as much time on the YoY falls. Shock horror !!

As for the EN story linked on the Edinburgh thread - that is no surprise !!