House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quokka

Given A Shovel, Americans Dig Deeper Into Debt

A sheriff’s auction of her home on June 12 received no bidders, Ms. McLeod said. The bank will soon evict her.

“Oh, I definitely have regrets,” Ms. McLeod said. “I regret not dealing with my emotions instead of just shopping. And I regret involving my son in all this because that has affected him and his finances and his self-esteem.”

Ms. McLeod says she hopes to be living in an apartment she can afford soon and to get back to paying her bills on time.

She does not want another credit card, she said. But even though her credit profile is ruined, she still receives come-ons.

Recently an envelope arrived offering a “pre-qualified” Salute Visa Gold card issued by Urban Bank Trust. “We think you deserve more credit!” it said in bold type.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/business...&ei=5087%0A

Shame she couldn't have had some regrets sooner, rather than $280,000 later. I love handbags and shoes, but not that much.

Retail therapy, what does that work out to an hour? You could train your own shrink for that.

She does not want another credit card, she said. But even though her credit profile is ruined, she still receives come-ons.

Well she's not my cup of tea but I guess it takes all sorts.

Recently an envelope arrived offering a “pre-qualified” Salute Visa Gold card issued by Urban Bank Trust. “We think you deserve more credit!” it said in bold type.

Oh that kind of come on. :rolleyes:

Edited by Prydonian Renegade

Wow! I'm sure she's not alone. I do feel sorry for her, although I don't know why, as she's and adult.

As I've said before. Denial is a very very expensive luxury. :huh:

I know what you mean, I felt a bit sorry for her too.

I felt she was emotionally needy and used money and material things for comfort. I don't think she's the only one who's done this.

I felt she was emotionally needy and used money and material things for comfort. I don't think she's the only one who's done this.

She did appear to have an astonishing amount of 'stuff' in quite a modest house. All those glass ornaments and fridge magnets and so on. I wonder how much ebay sales are going to drop in the next few years?

and its a stupid thing to do and she's been taught a very important lesson.

i aint feeling sorry for anyone blowing stupid amounts of money when i haven't played brewseters millions myself.

I've never understood retail therapy. Personally, I find shopping one of the most tiresome tasks on earth. I really can't imagine it making me 'feel good'.

I've never understood retail therapy. Personally, I find shopping one of the most tiresome tasks on earth. I really can't imagine it making me 'feel good'.

It seems to be mainly a girly thing, although I have known Mr EG to be very happy to window shop for boyz toys. Generally, most neccessity shopping is boring. The occasional luxury item shop however is quite exciting, as long as you can afford it of course.

I hate it. The quicker it's over and done with the better. I can get my head around the idea of it being enjoyable, I can see how that might be so, it just doesn't do it for me.