House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

U Turn Number 28 As Brown Decides Not To Tax Multinationals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...22/cctax122.xml

Alistair Darling and his Treasury U-turns on multinationals' tax

Last Updated: 2:05am BST 22/07/2008
The Chancellor's latest change of mind on reforming company taxation leaves the Treasury facing a dilemma, writes Edmund Conway
Government departments are like supertankers - fiendishly difficult to control and notoriously slow-moving. So at least went the old adage. However, in his relatively brief time at the helm, Alistair Darling has, if nothing else, managed to transform the Treasury into one of the most agile policymaking bodies in existence.
Signs of confusion: Treasury policy
Almost every month has brought with it a dodge, leap or U-turn in the face of various difficulties - unfortunately, such agility is seen not as a strength but as a crippling weakness.
The latest came yesterday, when, in a letter to the CBI, the Treasury apparently relented on its plans to levy new taxes on multinational companies. With two already having opted to move their headquarters away from the UK and more threatening to follow suit, the business lobby's brinksmanship appears to have paid off.

Of course, its all made to seem like it's Gordon's poodle doing all the dithering but its realy the other Scotsman who controls everything from the controller's office. Here we have another example of bowing to threats as the perception continues to grwon that New Labour are a spent force and in complete dissaray. So with no multinational corporation tax to rely on he will have to increase taxes for all of us.

Every new penney put on tax brings us closer to a revolt.

People were borrowing to stay afloat on the back of rising house prices but that stopped now and the sheeple will see goverment is taking much to much money and returning so little.

Gone will be the days that major trials are closed costing tax payer 100m without heads rolling.

Edited by Justice

I wonder how much lost tax revenue that will be and where they are going to get the shortfall?

I wonder if any company that has the ability to leave the UK should try a similar threat in exchange for some tax reduction…

I wonder how much lost tax revenue that will be and where they are going to get the shortfall?

I wonder if any company that has the ability to leave the UK should try a similar threat in exchange for some tax reduction…

I doubt there will be any lost revenue - Gordon was after EXTRA tax I expect.