House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Secret Agent Refusing Overpriced Stock

"‘That’s beyond a joke.’ Bellows the man as I sit in his kitchen later and tell him how much he should market his pokey nearly new flat for. ‘You’re having a laugh, tell me you’re having a laugh?’ His soon to be ex-wife fixes me with a chilly stare, as she realises she can ditch the loser she married quite easily but the teetering on negative equity home, might be with the couple till death really does part them.

‘Of course all this mess is you’re fault.’ Intones the man crabbily and for an absurd moment I think he’s accusing me of shafting his missus as well as his price. But of course it’s the familiar diatribe about estate agents being responsible for rising values and equally culpable for the correction now taking place. Then as I stare at the ceiling I notice they too have an interesting watermark.

Turns out the flat above leaked water almost as fast as value. I decline the instruction at the price they want and once again it borders on self-harm but feels almost cathartic. It’s not the first time either, I remember, as I start laughing out loud in the lift - until the doors open unexpectedly."

He does make me laugh. -------> http://www.agentsdiary.blogspot.com/

Worth another bump!

I'm left wondering how long before the "bean counter" finally accepts that there's a housing downturn.

No brief exchanged glance with "S" this time though. Shame.

as I have been reading through some of his posts, I almost had a moment of sympathy for the EA's.

they get the blame lot of the time for talking prices up, but if you KNEW that if you told a vendor what you really thought their price should be (vs. the amount that they expect and demand, and wouldn't get the commission if you told the truth),

I can see how they all turn into rampers in an upturn.

not that it makes them especially more likable, but on the way up, it's the people's expectations themselves that drive the ramping, whereas reality gets to dictate on the way down.

I don't really understand the universal antipathy towards estate agents. A few of my clients recently have been EA's, and all have been perfectly pleasent, affable blokes.

They do a very specific job, being paid by the vendor to sell their property for them at the highest price they can get. If they talk the market up then that is what they are being paid to do - you don't have to believe them!

I don't really understand the universal antipathy towards estate agents.

Secret Agent doesn't seem too fond of his colleges and rival EAs though.

Except for "S" of course. :wub:

Secret Agent doesn't seem too fond of his colleges and rival EAs though.

Except for "S" of course. :wub:

ah - the fragrant "S".

you seem to be as obsessed with her as much as a recently departed poster on this site was - someone who everybody knew. :P

you seem to be as obsessed with her as much as a recently departed poster on this site was - someone who everybody knew. :P

it's all quite simple -- I am he and he is me (and we are all together).

Coo coo, kachoo.

Speaking of bodies, "S" sounds like a pretty fine example.

(Yes, I really need to get out more.)

Now where have I heard that before....?

+1 It's an excellent read (assuming it's authentic)

It seems pretty authentic to me. All the more recent entries are quite entertaining. However, I've flicked back to an entry on 28th Feb 2006:-

Mark my words, the world will be run by accountants and human resources droids, none of whom ever made a penny in anger for the company, but all of whom delight in making your working life even more wearisome than it already is.

Never a truer word spoken...

He's not the only one-received a letter this morning from one of the national chains refusing to take a client's property on their books at the asking price he wanted!

Many of the agents here have slashed their advertising in the local paper as almost nothing is shifting, so I'm expecting more of the same. It isn't worth them taking anything on that isn't priced to sell (whatever that might be in the current market!), their just adding to their overheads otherwise.

There's a couple of interesting comments from estate agents under our very own Secret Agents latest blog entry.

canary said...

Well I'm not getting a haircut till the recession is over. So in about 2018 I should have a decent ponytail myself. Nor am I going to advertise in the local rag at great expense and no result. Nor are we going to keep going at this rate, it's already been over a year of crap and there are no reserves left. We wont make the summer out if some of those vendors dont take what's on the table. Even those who would take anything on the table can't find a buyer to put it there. The latest Nationwide average of about 8% fall is way off the mark. Easily proven 30% falls testify to this. At least the government wont be getting the huge Stamp Duty income, the income tax & NI from agents. the VAT on everything. They will be paying out dole and credits and tax rebates galore. So unemployment and 35% on the gas bill - who sold our North Sea oil off to someone else anyway? Ah Mrs T. (she who allowed Building societies to become banks).