House Price Crash Forum
dog

Renting In London

Outside Hammersmith tube today and there was a chap holding up a big adversing sign touting for tenants. If people are resorting to this to find tenants, how bouyant is the rental market in London?

Outside Hammersmith tube today and there was a chap holding up a big adversing sign touting for tenants. If people are resorting to this to find tenants, how bouyant is the rental market in London?

Is that a rhetorical question, do you have an answer, or do you want us to tell you?

Bandwagon's question is good... I am trying (rather pathetically now) to STR in the borough, so I am keen to hear the answer, if there is one.

I've said I'll buy your house. We just need to negotiate a suitable discount. ;)

I've just renewed my lease in N1 for another year and I told (not asked) my landlord that I would not be paying any more rent. He accepted immediately (via the managing agent). Not sure how representative this is of the broader rental market but I got the impression I was in a strong negotiating position.

Dead in West London and I live in Hammersmith - no one i know is moving because of the current asking prices and too many agents are piling in with properties to rent. Current landlords appear to believe they can get more money - despite rental property piling up like nobody's business. We've had Poles and the expat financial chaps move out recently, which explains the piling up of places at both the bottom and the top end of the market.

Hammersmith and Fulham had ridiculous HPI over the last 18 months, the rents also got silly too. The change now is that there's lots of choice for tenants.

Touch wood no increase in our rent here in SE16 since we moved in, October '06. That may be related to the fact that I'm doing the test Council Tax appeal for the block as several of the flats have been hopelessly misbanded - one would hope the landlord is somewhat grateful. But it may not - the ones that go empty seem to stay void for a little while.

I'll just be happy if this place doesn't get repossessed - lease is due for renewal at the end of the month and landlord dearest is still claiming he's busy getting the contract sorted after several weeks of inaction...

Still, there's no shortage of places to rent in this very street (let alone SE4 in general), so it won't be far to move if things do go tits-up in his particular corner of BTLville. <_<

The rightmove search I occasionally do in my area yields different results now

4 months ago - 33 properties

Now - 120 properties with asking prices appearing to increase

I know a Johnny-come-lately landlord whose letting agent advised that rents were increasing. I think the effect of increasing supply where I live (N21) has yet to make itself felt in prices. A few more voids and more properties coming on the market should put an end to that. I'd give it weeks rather than months before prices start coming down

Hammersmith and Fulham had ridiculous HPI over the last 18 months, the rents also got silly too.

The credit crunch has been with us for nearly 12 months now. Are you saying that Hammersmith and Fulham have defied the credit crunch and continued to rise - or are you still blinded by the mad rises in 2006 and first half of 2007.

I don't know about Hammersmith and Fulham but I do have a mate who has a house in Twickenham. He admits that prices have gone down in his area over the last year - and that very little is selling.

I live in SE26 and my Landlord didn't even mention rent rises when I renewed my AST a few weeks ago. He also seemed quite keen to get us on a 12-month after we'd been on a 6-month before that. It suited me as i've moved 7 times in the last 5 years and want to stay put for a while.