House Price Crash Forum

Hpc Information Overload...

HOLA441

I've been thinking recently about the interaction between blogs, forums and traditional media...

While the former have an edge in terms of addressing specific issues and avoiding media bias, for topics with widespread interest, there is a remarkable risk of information overload for the average reader. With the latter (i.e. old media - even the ones with online presence) the problem is the converse - rather than information overload, we suffer repeated opinions and an aggressive filter on important news.

What would be great would be an opportunity, say, to receive a digest of the 10 most highly rated revelations each week... Is this something that a community such as HPC could manage successfully, or is it a pipedream?

HOLA442
I've been thinking recently about the interaction between blogs, forums and traditional media...

While the former have an edge in terms of addressing specific issues and avoiding media bias, for topics with widespread interest, there is a remarkable risk of information overload for the average reader. With the latter (i.e. old media - even the ones with online presence) the problem is the converse - rather than information overload, we suffer repeated opinions and an aggressive filter on important news.

What would be great would be an opportunity, say, to receive a digest of the 10 most highly rated revelations each week... Is this something that a community such as HPC could manage successfully, or is it a pipedream?

Many forums (fora?) do a monthly newsletter. I don't think it would be hugely difficult to aggregate a few bearish stories into a single document and e-mail them every week. Could be automated fairly easily I would think.

HOLA443
Many forums (fora?) do a monthly newsletter. I don't think it would be hugely difficult to aggregate a few bearish stories into a single document and e-mail them every week. Could be automated fairly easily I would think.

Perhaps people could vote on topics/articles using a Hot or Not style interface?

Bear or Not? :P

HOLA444

Post of the week!

HOLA445

I think the problem is with the sheer numbers involved. While you are correct to say that a single post is quite straightforward, we simply do not know how many of them there are out there… While the going was good, people just kept writing them until millions upon zillions were written and now look at the numbers of them outstanding. Opinion on opinion on opinion, and no one know where the bodies are buried it is truly scary. I blame the bloggers. Driven by an insatiable appetite for the things, the numbers of them just ballooned. All you need is one set of them to go bad and the whole system topples like a house of cards... I blame the modulators – what were they doing during all of this? – they were just beholden to the bloggers and posters. Weapons of mass verbal diarrhoea is what one newspaper journalist called them. Now Steve, while I respect your opinion on this, I know that you come form that kind of background, so I think you’re missing the wood for the trees a little here…. I blame the posters… blah blah (and so on for 50 pages of mind-numbing discussion)….

:)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HotAirMail does a weekly roundup:

Is that what you meant?

Not quite, I was thinking more along the lines of a collaborative view on the most significant issues arising during a week. I don't want to talk down HotAirMail's efforts, but these are the opinion of one person, while the value of HPC is that it includes the opinions of many... making the opinion not only broader, but more robust in the face of distractions that may affect any individual.

Maybe something as simple as scoring threads would suffice? As it stands, a day away from HPC can see a highly relevant (but non-controversial) gem disappear from prominence extremely quickly.

Edited by A.steve