House Price Crash Forum
Austin Allegro

How Are You Protecting Yourself Against The Downturn?

We all know that something's up, but of course we don't know how bad things may get. Predictions range from 'it'll all be over by Christmas' to 'nineties style recession' to 'Great Depression Part Two' all the way to 'full on financial and social breakdown plus floods making Waterworld look like the Henley Regatta'.

So my question is what are YOU doing to prepare for the downturn.

My personal plan is to be moderately well prepared but not worry too much about doomsday as if it happens there's not much we can do. Here's what I've been doing:

Cleared all debts

Saving c25% of income; building up big ‘war chest’

Keeping money in different accounts and NS&I for safety

Keeping a stock of cash at home

Practicing hard line frugality (MSE Old Style) and cutting spending to the bone – no car (cycling instead); buying secondhand; probably no big holiday next year

Growing a small amount of veg etc; making own bread and wine; going foraging.

Buying books and learning about frugality, make do and mend (clothing repairs etc) self sufficiency etc

Back up plan for retraining in case of redundancy

Building up small second income from internet business

Buying small amounts of ‘survival’ stuff – wind up lantern, radio etc, keeping a few weeks’ stock of essential food.

Stuff I am thinking of doing but haven’t done yet:

Buy gold sovereigns/krugerrand in small amounts

Get rainbutt for emergency water supply

Getting a catapult to shoot squirrel/pigeon etc

Growing a lot more food

The bottom line is I don’t think there’s any point walling yourself up with a shotgun and years’ supply of food.; but I do think it’s worth being prepared for temporary shortages, power cuts etc; as if things do get worse the items needed will rocket in price.

Just been out and bought an old-lady style wheeled shopping bag (a trotter bag as my mum calls it) for the purpose of buying a load of tinned food, rice etc, just as an emergency stock, then hit a supermarket and filled it with various foodstuffs... now my arm feels like it's about to fall off after pulling it home.

Thinking about buying some gold coins but not sure how much practical use they'd be... I suppose I'd be glad of them if I lost my savings through a bank crash or we come out of the other side of this with a new currency.

Also just about to order a small camping stove and spare cannisters of gas off ebay, in case there are power cuts, and I'll probably bet a couple of decent sleeping bags soon.

I plan to buy a sandbox in which to bury my head. It's a technique I've picked up from various politicians/economists.

1. I bought a house :)

2. rent out rooms

3. Save 50% of my after tax income each month

4. Saving up

5 Changed jobs now work for a growing company that exports/improves manufacturing efficiently/cutting costs in factories

Edited by moosetea

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Blown it all on whores and coke already.

At least I'll have the memories, and a recurrent itch and runny nose to trigger them.

Prudence? Had her. Done her.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Pretty much doing the things you mentioned. Spread what monies I have got, minimise costs and reign in any extraneous costs that I should have gotten shot of a year ago! Have no debt. I keep a reasonable stock of food and the means to cook it - this can be done by just picking up a couple of extra tins each time you do a shop, thereby saving your arms!

Ways of growing veg, foraging, preservation of food and production of booze are widely forgotten skills that were common knowledge a couple of generations ago for a good reason. Let's not forget these skills because of new technology, especially when the juice to power that tech is becoming more pricey.

The biggest problem buggin' me is the lack of space I have in a 1 bed flat without a garden - I can't grow much food and I have no means of collecting rainwater. However, if it gets so bad in the cities that this becomes an issue I reckon I'll have long since legged it for the hills.

On the other hand, all might be rosey again by xmas and we'll have a nice HPC meeting in the pub to discuss how irrational we all were and what lack of faith we had in our admirable leaders.

bb

DONE:

Debts cleared bar 1k to student loans co.

No credit cards or mortgage.

90% savings with NSI

6oz of gold coins

6oz of silver bar

food to last for 2+ months for family of 4.

(lots of tuna, hotdog sausages,tinned fruit,tinned veg,soup etc etc)

soap + shampoo etc to last for 6months - 1 year.

TODO:

Crossbow this weekend or next ...

I want this one (Bowtech stryker)

More gold to come very soon also.

and i am continually building on my food stocks.

DONE:

Debts cleared bar 1k to student loans co.

No credit cards or mortgage.

90% savings with NSI

6oz of gold coins

6oz of silver bar

food to last for 2+ months for family of 4.

(lots of tuna, hotdog sausages,tinned fruit,tinned veg,soup etc etc)

soap + shampoo etc to last for 6months - 1 year.

TODO:

Crossbow this weekend or next ...

I want this one (Bowtech stryker)

More gold to come very soon also.

and i am continually building on my food stocks.

Haha

"I know what you're askin' yourself, can you get my tuna and escape before this crossbow shoots you through the neck? This is the Bowtech Stryker, the most powerful crossbow in the World. It can shoot a bolt at Mach 0.36. So, the question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I feel lucky?". Well do ya, would-be tuna thieving punk?"

On a serious note,

I got myself a 2nd job in the evenings now delivering pizzas :)

im not proud.

How does that work? Do you use your own bike/scooter/car or do you use theirs? Might try it myself.....

If anyone needs a second job in Dorset, I need a cleaner. But you'll have to wear a dress and be happy being called 'Nanny'.

Haha

"I know what you're askin' yourself, can you get my tuna and escape before this crossbow shoots you through the neck? This is the Bowtech Stryker, the most powerful crossbow in the World. It can shoot a bolt at Mach 0.36. So, the question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I feel lucky?". Well do ya, would-be tuna thieving punk?"

In all the excitement, I kind of lost track of whether I cocked this thing, or not.

Err ... give me a few minutes, would you?

Invested in a new spring powered air rifle. I plan to get some practice in on land I have permission to shoot on. Pot a few rabbits and wood pigeon and practice skinning, gutting, plucking etc. Oh and I have recently stumbled across a small river / stream that has plenty of free Trout in it, a brace of them were served up on Saturday night along with pan fried wood pigeon breast. ;) Thinking of getting a bow as I had a decent one when I was a kid, the archery target is in the garage some where.

On a serious note,

I got myself a 2nd job in the evenings now delivering pizzas :)

im not proud.

12 inch deep pan with pepperoni and extra mozzerella please.

I've got everything in cash in multiple on-line saver type accounts, having got out of various investment funds at the start of the year (which looks like good timing thus far). My biggest fear is the doomsday scenario, i.e. total banking collapse or hyper inflation. If this were to happen, at least those with a house would still have a house. I would have s*d all. Not losing too much sleep over this as I think the worst case scenario is very very unlikely.

No debts except mortgage and 8 different sources of income.

Living way below my means as well.

We all know that something's up, but of course we don't know how bad things may get. Predictions range from 'it'll all be over by Christmas' to 'nineties style recession' to 'Great Depression Part Two' all the way to 'full on financial and social breakdown plus floods making Waterworld look like the Henley Regatta'.

So my question is what are YOU doing to prepare for the downturn.

My personal plan is to be moderately well prepared but not worry too much about doomsday as if it happens there's not much we can do. Here's what I've been doing:

Cleared all debts

Saving c25% of income; building up big ‘war chest’

Keeping money in different accounts and NS&I for safety

Keeping a stock of cash at home

Practicing hard line frugality (MSE Old Style) and cutting spending to the bone – no car (cycling instead); buying secondhand; probably no big holiday next year

Growing a small amount of veg etc; making own bread and wine; going foraging.

Buying books and learning about frugality, make do and mend (clothing repairs etc) self sufficiency etc

Back up plan for retraining in case of redundancy

Building up small second income from internet business

Buying small amounts of ‘survival’ stuff – wind up lantern, radio etc, keeping a few weeks’ stock of essential food.

Stuff I am thinking of doing but haven’t done yet:

Buy gold sovereigns/krugerrand in small amounts

Get rainbutt for emergency water supply

Getting a catapult to shoot squirrel/pigeon etc

Growing a lot more food

The bottom line is I don’t think there’s any point walling yourself up with a shotgun and years’ supply of food.; but I do think it’s worth being prepared for temporary shortages, power cuts etc; as if things do get worse the items needed will rocket in price.

You should probably get yourself a Ray Mears box-set too. Actually, thinking about it, Ray, if you're reading this, maybe you could do a Sunday night special on urban bushcraft and survival techniques?

You should probably get yourself a Ray Mears box-set too. Actually, thinking about it, Ray, if you're reading this, maybe you could do a Sunday night special on urban bushcraft and survival techniques?

What would he cook? Foxes? Rats? Pidgeons? I think i'd go with the rats as the foxes in London are extremely manky looking beasts.

If anyone needs a second job in Dorset, I need a cleaner. But you'll have to wear a dress and be happy being called 'Nanny'.

Does this require me doing 50 pressups before pushing the hoover round?

201979747_5_dXe0.jpeg