House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicholas Cage

Food Inflation

Noticing that Milk was included in the inflation articles I thought to check the prices for milk over the years.

Dairy prices also soared - a four-pint bottle of milk cost 10p more in June than in May (Gaurdian)

The cost of milk across a range of supermarkets has risen by around 10p for four pints and 4p for two pints, the ONS added. (Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ving-soars.html (Daily Telegraph)

article-1035373-01F59E2300000578-130_468x353.jpg

But the UK farm Gate price has been falling only rising to nominal 1997 levels

www.defra.gov.uk/evidence/statistics/documents/milkpri.xls

milkpricesdg9.gif

Take cream cheese in a well-known store - 48p for 200g in 2007, then suddenly up to 98p for 300g.

It's all rocketing.

Red onion - 9 to 10p each, now 14p on average.

Orange juice used to be 57p for a quality 1 litre, now 88p or 98p.

Lemons went from 19p each to 31p each at one point, now mostly 28p each.

I could go on.

I won't list what hasn't gone up for fear of reminding them!

Take cream cheese in a well-known store - 48p for 200g in 2007, then suddenly up to 98p for 300g.

It's all rocketing.

Red onion - 9 to 10p each, now 14p on average.

Orange juice used to be 57p for a quality 1 litre, now 88p or 98p.

Lemons went from 19p each to 31p each at one point, now mostly 28p each.

I could go on.

I won't list what hasn't gone up for fear of reminding them!

Yes and the cheaap own brand butter seems to be dissappering fast

Butter and Margarine are both going up fast at the moment - iprice wise there's only a few pence between all of the different brands.

Beef mince is the thing that's shocked me - it used to be a cheap staple for those on low incomes - it probably still is, but a 500g pack has gone up from £1.40 this time last year to £2.25 now. You can get discounts on the bigger packs, and there's an increase in the multiple buy offers there are on meat, but not everyone wants 2kg of mince at a time!

It seems like there is a decreasing price difference between the "value" stuff and the normal supermarket own label stuff nowadays - either the value prices are going up, or the quality of the normal priced stuff is coming down, and so there's less of the low quality goods available to make cheap goods out of (if you know what I mean...)

I saw an article on the news about packaging costs going up (petroleum based plastic milk bottles, etc) and wonder what proportion of the price rises are down to packaging and petrol costs -that effect all products, and how much of it is the cost of the actual product rising?

Yes I think the packaging costs fuel and profit raking by supermarkets is the main problem.

Tesco charge 212p for 3.408ltr(6pints) of milk about 85p is milk costs. The rest is processing, delivery, storage and profit.

(14p per pint farm price, 35p pint at supermarket)

41% of smaller 2 pint containers is extra costs and profit.

39% of larger 6 pint containers

So the packaging can't be hugely expensive. Dairy farmers are saying diesel, gas, electricity, storgage and packaging will force them to raise prices this year.

If they raise the price by 1pence per liter, the packaging costs remain the same, the rest is as above.

Joke is the corporations have paid MP's back handers to ensure your local farmer can not sell direct to you.

CD's are only down because everyone pirates them and IMHO inflation in general is running at 10% plus and Browns 2-3% is the biggest lie going.

Any wonder all the money has moved to comodities when the best savings rates are below the real inflation rate.