House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bomberbrown

A Milestone Has Been Achieved Ladies And Gentlemen!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Would someone let me know when "Smoking crackwhores welcome" becomes the norm.

yep it is indeed a milestone, the slide has started no doubt about it..

Getting sick of hearing those previous VI naysayers of everythings ok now with creepeing reference to potential govt bailouts. with what exactly, maybe you should call our (unelected) PM mr prudent...?

Presumably the social is a reliable payer and could well be tapped for more money than a private renter. If I were a LL I think a housebound invalid on IB would be the ideal tenant; payment guaranteed, not going to come in blind drunk and wreck the place. :lol:

Presumably the social is a reliable payer and could well be tapped for more money than a private renter. If I were a LL I think a housebound invalid on IB would be the ideal tenant; payment guaranteed, not going to come in blind drunk and wreck the place. :lol:

Theres a property developer in Dorset who had the same idea. Councils pay his rent every month, income guaranteed.

Who is going to stump up for the social bill?

Anybody with a job still paying taxes I should guess.

I'm particularly pleased with the recent Welfare Reform Act 2007 which no longer afford the landlord the choice to have LHA (Living Housing Allowance) formerly Housing Benefit paid directly to the landlord, but it is instead paid to the claimant. So it's not a guaranteed little earner after all :)

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/welfarereform/housing.asp

£205pw for a Studio in Clapton !!! You;d have to be mentally challenged DSS claimant to pay that.

£50pw would be more realistic.

Agreed - even by London standards, £205pw for Clapton is unbelievable. You can get a studio in somewhere like Highgate or West Hampstead for that. Utter nonsense. No wonder they want DSS, they'll be the only ones who can afford it!

Edited by Austin Allegro

£205pw for a Studio in Clapton !!! You;d have to be mentally challenged DSS claimant to pay that.

£50pw would be more realistic.

Housing benefits now operate a system of reference rents for particular areas, with claimants incentivised to find cheaper accomodation.

We should now all ensure that our local authorities are driving reference rents down to reflect the market and not artificialy prop it up at our expense.

Anybody with a job still paying taxes I should guess.

I'm particularly pleased with the recent Welfare Reform Act 2007 which no longer afford the landlord the choice to have LHA (Living Housing Allowance) formerly Housing Benefit paid directly to the landlord, but it is instead paid to the claimant. So it's not a guaranteed little earner after all :)

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/welfarereform/housing.asp

You'd think this would put landlords off having DSS claimants altogether. Although I seem to recall thinking there was an element of hiding the fact you were a claimant in the new process. Does anyone know whether this would be the case.

The really good thing about this though is that claimants have an incentive to negotiate their rent as they can keep a proportion of any difference between their assessed rent and what they actually pay.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I noticed the first 'DSS welcome' on rentals for my own area (KT2, Kingston on Th) a few weeks ago.

Gave me quite a jolt.

Will let you know when I first see 'Pets and Smokers Welcome' ;)

We might even see "Irish welcome" if things get really bad.

You'd think this would put landlords off having DSS claimants altogether. Although I seem to recall thinking there was an element of hiding the fact you were a claimant in the new process. Does anyone know whether this would be the case.

The really good thing about this though is that claimants have an incentive to negotiate their rent as they can keep a proportion of any difference between their assessed rent and what they actually pay.

I don't understand it. The paying of rent direct to landlords meant they were more likely to take on DSS, and now they reverse it, when it will be most useful.

Anyone got any idea why this change has happened? Apart from the propaganda of making people more responsible for their money which I don't buy for one second.

TFH

I don't understand it. The paying of rent direct to landlords meant they were more likely to take on DSS, and now they reverse it, when it will be most useful.

Anyone got any idea why this change has happened? Apart from the propaganda of making people more responsible for their money which I don't buy for one second.

TFH

So they can spend it on fags and booze, which means most of the money goes back into the Treasury coffers.

Agreed - even by London standards, £205pw for Clapton is unbelievable. You can get a studio in somewhere like Highgate or West Hampstead for that. Utter nonsense. No wonder they want DSS, they'll be the only ones who can afford it!

Well, I'm hoping that its an error (as another poster has pointed out) as Property Bee has the following history:

21st Jul 2008

* Brief Description changed: Self contained studio flat in a purpose built block. 2nd floor, excellent condition, wooden floors, double glazing, fitted kitchen, shower. Walking distance to Clapton BR and Hackney Downs BR..AVAILABLE 17/08/2008 DSS ACCEPTED

* Price changed: from '£120 pw' to '£205 pw' :o

12th Jun 2008

* Initial entry found. [Found by cathalmc]