House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Conveyancer

New Car Needed, Advice Please

Right, I have about £20,000 put aside for a deposit on a house but have an urgent need for a new car. Are used car sales suffering at the moment as much as new car sales? Is it worth spending £3,000 - £5,000 to get a fairly ok car or is it worth spending peanuts at the moment.

I should explain that I know nothing about cars and care even less about them, for me they are to get me from A to B without spending too much on them. It needs to be a fairly big car because I have kids but I want to try to keep it 1.6 or below because of the up and coming change in car tax. You can get something about 5 years old with under 50,000 miles for about £4,000, is it worth spending that much for it to last a bit longer? How much would you ask off of the advertised price for cash? Do you go for a private sale or to a dealer? HELP

Right, I have about £20,000 put aside for a deposit on a house but have an urgent need for a new car. Are used car sales suffering at the moment as much as new car sales? Is it worth spending £3,000 - £5,000 to get a fairly ok car or is it worth spending peanuts at the moment.

I should explain that I know nothing about cars and care even less about them, for me they are to get me from A to B without spending too much on them. It needs to be a fairly big car because I have kids but I want to try to keep it 1.6 or below because of the up and coming change in car tax. You can get something about 5 years old with under 50,000 miles for about £4,000, is it worth spending that much for it to last a bit longer? How much would you ask off of the advertised price for cash? Do you go for a private sale or to a dealer? HELP

TBH I reckon you're thinking of spending way too much. Currently I'm getting 03s for less than 2K. Example; bought on Friday 03 52reg astra 1.4ls for £1875 at auction. 1 owner 50K, fsh, 5dr retail is £3300 I'm selling (hoping) for £2495. Go to your local auction, (BCA) you'll be v.surprised at what you can get for circa 2K. ;) This market is so depressed atm, less car buyers than house buyers but unlike house buyers the car market can change on a knife edge.

Peanuts.

If you spend £4K then in 12 months time you will have lost half that in depreciation.

My current Vectra diesel estate cost me £675, does 46 to the gallon and if it breaks I'll chuck it away.

You should be able to pick up a decent car (say a saab) for £500 on ebay. Will last up to 4 years easy - with maybe spendg 1K on repairs.

Thing is with auctions, I really dont know what I am looking at. We also need a car asap, we are borrowing my Mum's at the moment I have no idea at all with cars and wouldnt want to buy one with a problem. The last car we had for two years, it had major suspension problems and an oil leak, now it has totally bust. Not good. Would anyone recommend a Scenic?

I have bought crappy cars for the last eight years and end up replacing them every two years or so. I was thinking that if I got a fairly decent one now we could keep it for five years plus and save money that way. Any ideas what percentage to start with for barginning with the used car sales men.

I have bought crappy cars for the last eight years and end up replacing them every two years or so. I was thinking that if I got a fairly decent one now we could keep it for five years plus and save money that way. Any ideas what percentage to start with for barginning with the used car sales men.

why go to a dealer for a used car when your paying cash.

all they do is go the auctions like everyone else ?

theres no added value unless you need shoddy credit.

get on ebay first. then auto trader. use the rac inspection if your unsure about mechanicals.

I was making a similar decision recently. My funds are 100k+ available, and I decided against spending 8k on a car and kept the old junk-pile running instead. Never regret it for a moment. Prices of cars aren't exactly going to go up in the near future, hang onto your money mate.

It really depends on whether you want it to be reliable or not. Sounds silly I know but the cold hard fact is older cars while cheap do break down and tend to be more catastrophic failures than newer ones.

Thats not to say new cars don't break down of course they do, but with much less regularity than older ones.

6538 is correct in that if the cheap one breaks down it's just a case of getting rid of it and getting another but thats no help when you are on your way to an important meeting and the thing breaks down.

Boils down to personal choice, I was personally sick of breaking down all the time so I spend a bit more and got something 18 months old. Never once in the 3 years did I have it did it breakdown, then I upgraded and have had the same. For me the extra money is worth it.

All the frugalistas on this forum will tell you to spend as little as possible. They'll tell you that they bought a car for 3 and sixpence and it ran for 200k miles and only needed a new hub cap.

In reality as you know nothing about cars then I think you have two options.

1.) Enlist the help of someone who does - perhaps ask this question on a car forum for a start.

2.) Buy something a little more expensive than is being suggested as on the balance of probability it should be more reliable.

Thing is with auctions, I really dont know what I am looking at. We also need a car asap, we are borrowing my Mum's at the moment I have no idea at all with cars and wouldnt want to buy one with a problem. The last car we had for two years, it had major suspension problems and an oil leak, now it has totally bust. Not good. Would anyone recommend a Scenic?

Even with brand new cars, you never know if they are just going to break down due to being badly put together, the only advantage then is they have a warranty. My brother works as a car mechanic at a franchised garage. They often get brand new cars delivered for the showroom that don't even work and need hours worth of repairs and checks to get them going. You may as well spend very little and just scrap the car if it breaks down and get something equally cheap. A mate of mine always buys cars for about £200 - £300. He ends up replacing them after a year or two, but when it's that cheap he doesn't really care, plus he usually gets a bit of money from scrap.

My 10 year old Fiat died last month. It had been on the way out for months and was probably worth about £500 in part exchange. I had been told 2 years ago by my local garage to get rid of it. I kept it going though as I figured out that the longer it kept going the less I was going to lose on depreciation, etc. Didn't want to spend my cash.

I am now looking for a new car but will spend more than many of the other posters on here suggest. Safety is a big issue for me and I feel that you get more safety features in a newer car.

You need to figure out what you want from the car first and then buy according to your needs. If you ain' happy with it you are not going to keep it are you?

My 10 year old Fiat died last month. It had been on the way out for months and was probably worth about £500 in part exchange. I had been told 2 years ago by my local garage to get rid of it. I kept it going though as I figured out that the longer it kept going the less I was going to lose on depreciation, etc. Didn't want to spend my cash.

I am now looking for a new car but will spend more than many of the other posters on here suggest. Safety is a big issue for me and I feel that you get more safety features in a newer car.

You need to figure out what you want from the car first and then buy according to your needs. If you ain' happy with it you are not going to keep it are you?

I find the best safety feature is usually the driver. Basically, don't drive like an idiot and you are unlikely to have an accident. Also, a lot of new cars aren't as safe as they like to make out. They may have masses of whizzy new technology under the bonnet but that makes bugger all difference when you get hit by an articulated lorry.

Get something very cheap. You may not be able to get hold of the petrol/diesel to run it for much longer. It'll just end up as dead money.

I bought a year old Peugeot 307 with 8,000 miles (genuine) at a BCA ex Motatabilty Auction, last month for £6,400 i.e. less than half it's new price. The cars great and I get over 40mpg on a long journey and just under 35 around Town! The good thing is it won't need servocing for another two years, and when it does I'll get it done in Calais for half the cost here!

.............and come home with a boot of cheap booze!

I find the best safety feature is usually the driver. Basically, don't drive like an idiot and you are unlikely to have an accident. Also, a lot of new cars aren't as safe as they like to make out. They may have masses of whizzy new technology under the bonnet but that makes bugger all difference when you get hit by an articulated lorry.

:lol: Don't you also feel the need to clip a few pedestrians when you are driving your car as you do with your bicycle?

Am also thinking about getting a new car to work as the station run. Had not thought of going to auction, but think I might give it a go. I will be spending £2-3k which should go a lot further at auction. I think I'll be going for a fiesta or focus, which as someone has already said, are dead cheap to fix when they go wrong.

I know that on average older cars will break down more often, but cars on the whole are still very reliable as even the older ones now are still fairly modern by historic standards if that isn't too much of an obvious statement. I used to run a Peugot 205 which had 190k on the clock when I sold it, and dont think it broke down on me once in several years, after that I had a VW with 145k on when I bought it, and again, hardly any problems. I have now traded up to something a bit more special, but thats purley a treat rather than a need for anewer car.

I find the best safety feature is usually the driver. Basically, don't drive like an idiot and you are unlikely to have an accident.

That's just a ridiculous statement - you can drive incredibly safely but it doesn't stop the other idiots out there smashing into you. That is my concern.

I agree. Luckily there are some dirt cheap, safe cars out their now.

Renault Lagunas have had 5 stars since the last model - 1999.

You can pick up a 5 year old diesel with 50k for a couple of grand.

I would say that a 50k car with service history is potentially more trust worthy than a brand new car - any defects would have shown up by now and it's too young for wear and tear break downs (Boy racers excepted!).

If you don't know much about cars - go to a reputable independent dealer offering a warranty. Or get a S/H Renault from a Ford main dealer - they often want shot of non franchised P/E cars.

I agree. Luckily there are some dirt cheap, safe cars out their now.

Renault Lagunas have had 5 stars since the last model - 1999.

You can pick up a 5 year old diesel with 50k for a couple of grand.

Were you watching Fifth Gear on Dave yesterday? They said almost exactly that.

:lol: Don't you also feel the need to clip a few pedestrians when you are driving your car as you do with your bicycle?

Those pedestrians walk into the road with the misguided belief that a bicycle can't hurt them. However, they tend to show more caution to cars, plus it pays to stop for them then as it would be a nightmare insurance scenario. Don't need cyclists insurance so don'y care how many morons I mow down.

For the record I bought my car a few months ago from ebay. In the process I almost bought a lemon but a somebody else on ebay tipped me off and after a little more research I found the same vehicle had been sold under a couple of other id's with terrible feedback.. There are rougues out there and while ebay is not perfect it can work well if you are cautious.

In the end I did buy on ebay from this trader. They are registerd as a dealer so you get the same guarantee you'd get from your local second hand dealer. Most of the cars are ex corporate lease and the auctions are all no reserve so they all sell every week ( ie no fishing expeditions on thier behalf.)

There was no presure on thier behalf and 4 months on I am still very pleased with the car.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/deutsche_m...QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

I'm not associated in any way,( I sell networking equipemnt not cars. live on the other side of the country etc.) Their feedback speaks for itself ( they have sold about 2000 cars and have 98-99% feedback)

I also sold my old car on ebay. It was scratched, kinda rusty, needed £600 worth of work to get an MOT, a 98 volvo turbo deisel with a blown turbo so ran like a dog ( but hey it was crazy efficient). It was still registered in Ireland ( and had failed the VRT over there)

It still sold for £300, so that gives you an idea of the scrap value.

British Car Auctions. Lots of branches in the UK.

Go to a sale and watch for the first time to understand how it all works. Got two cars from them, one for me and one for my old mum.

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/

I spoke to the auctioneer before the sale who gave me a few pointers. My cars were one owner ex-fleet and came with the engineer's report so I knew I was buying an okay car with warranted mileage. Both were Ford, cheap parts and servicing.

Auctions are all well and good, but one thing I noticed when a mate was looking for a car a few years back was that cars selling in auctions down south cost about the same as a used car from a dealer up north (barnard castle). Whether this is still the case I am not sure, but I was surprised how good the deals were.

That's just a ridiculous statement - you can drive incredibly safely but it doesn't stop the other idiots out there smashing into you. That is my concern.

I agree. I like to think I am a very safe driver but I have been involved in two accidents in the past few years. In both of them I was stationary at traffic lights with the handbrake on and had some moron plough into the back of me, the first caused no real damage to either myself or the car, the second i was in a neck brace for two weeks with whiplash and looking back I am amazed my car was not written off, as it needed new bodywork both front and back and it is borderline an old banger so would probably been cheaper for the insurance company.

All it will take is some moron to hit me at some speed and I will be mincemeat - I saw the First Gear demonstration last on what happens to older (with less safety features) cars when they are hit by todays tanks - it did make me think.