House Price Crash Forum

Upsetting The Neighbours

The Conveyancer

HOLA441

Im not really a "joiner" if you know what I mean and although my new rental is lovely it is in a small close where everyone else chats to each other. Most of the neighbours are elderly, well they dont call the south coast "Gods waiting room " for nothing. Anyway I finally got collered today by the chief old fart and the conversation went as follows:-

COF - So what do you do for a living then, I see you leaving in a suit in the morning.

TC - I am a conveyancer at a local solicitors.

COF - Next door to me is up for sale and has been for a while, she is a lady living on her own who has only been here a year, she gets offers but her buyers cant sell their own houses.

TC - Maybe she needs to drop her asking price so that she can find a buyer who would be able to proceed - she can always negotiate a similar discount on the property she intends to buy.

COF - She doesnt intend to buy another one, she bought this last year but didnt sell her house around the corner so she is going to move back in there and try to sell this one. It looks like she wont get what she paid for it. (He looks horrified as his own house is very clearly his pride and joy)

TC - I very much doubt it now and to be honest I would say that houses are going to go down by at least 30% so if she really wants to sell she should drop the price quite significantly soon. The banks just arent going to give out those stupid mortgages again.

COF - Oh I know the banks are having problems, I have some HBOS shares and they asked me to buy some more to get them out of trouble.

TC - I take it that was a no then after all banks are not the safest investments really are they.

COF- Oh no, I bought some more shares, they are bound to go up in a year or two arent they?

I think I upset him, well maybe that got me out of the next meet and greet in the close anyway.

Are people still that thick. I live in quite an exclusive area and people are still of the mindset that it could never happen here because surely everyone wants to live in such a wonderful place. They are going to be shocked me thinks.

HOLA442
Im not really a "joiner" if you know what I mean and although my new rental is lovely it is in a small close where everyone else chats to each other. Most of the neighbours are elderly, well they dont call the south coast "Gods waiting room " for nothing. Anyway I finally got collered today by the chief old fart and the conversation went as follows:-

COF - So what do you do for a living then, I see you leaving in a suit in the morning.

TC - I am a conveyancer at a local solicitors.

COF - Next door to me is up for sale and has been for a while, she is a lady living on her own who has only been here a year, she gets offers but her buyers cant sell their own houses.

TC - Maybe she needs to drop her asking price so that she can find a buyer who would be able to proceed - she can always negotiate a similar discount on the property she intends to buy.

COF - She doesnt intend to buy another one, she bought this last year but didnt sell her house around the corner so she is going to move back in there and try to sell this one. It looks like she wont get what she paid for it. (He looks horrified as his own house is very clearly his pride and joy)

TC - I very much doubt it now and to be honest I would say that houses are going to go down by at least 30% so if she really wants to sell she should drop the price quite significantly soon. The banks just arent going to give out those stupid mortgages again.

COF - Oh I know the banks are having problems, I have some HBOS shares and they asked me to buy some more to get them out of trouble.

TC - I take it that was a no then after all banks are not the safest investments really are they.

COF- Oh no, I bought some more shares, they are bound to go up in a year or two arent they?

I think I upset him, well maybe that got me out of the next meet and greet in the close anyway.

Are people still that thick. I live in quite an exclusive area and people are still of the mindset that it could never happen here because surely everyone wants to live in such a wonderful place. They are going to be shocked me thinks.

Have you read this book...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Fr...nfluence_People

Edited by goldman

HOLA443

Six Ways to Make People Like You

"Become genuinely interested in other people."

"Smile."

"Remember that a man's name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language."

"Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves."

"Talk in the terms of the other man's interest."

"Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely."

Now unfortunately I read the above and think what a lot of total ********. If I could go along with all that twaddle I would probably have alot more business clients, but then again I would probably join the masons and become the sort of twit I hate so there you go.

What can I say, tact has never been my strong point!

HOLA444
HOLA445

Good post TC which nicely sums up things hereabouts…replace the 'C' in COF with 'Controversial' and you have painted an even more accurate picture!

I do hear what you are saying regarding people being 'thick' but it is important to consider that the vast majority of people do not even know about this forum and have only the indecisive meeja to provide them with information.

HOLA446

<SNIP>

If enough people do this, it could result in a serious number of heart attacks and resulting probate cases. I have seen round a few probates and it can be quite eerie.

HOLA447
TC,big conveyacnign firm up here laying off 40 staff in the next month or so.uh oh.

supermarket conveyancers,do any of them have a future.

Personally I hope not, but I would say that wouldnt I. The thing is they really dont offer a good service. If I am on the other side of a matter with a supermarket it makes my life twice as hard because I have to keep chasing them. They have set answers to things and set procedures and anything that differs even slightly from that they can't cope with. You ring them and speak to one of the "team", always someone different and the solicitor version of a young estate agent with a Burton suit and hair gel. Very friendly but hasnt really got a clue. If you want to speak to the solicitor it is a nightmare, they are always on "quiet time" so wont speak to you.

Any problem with a matter and the solicitor is local it can normally be dealt with by a couple of phone calls, a bit of negotiation and common sense, with a supermarket on the other side it is often a total deal breaker.

My other problem with them is that on the whole they are not cheaper. They quote low fees but then add loads of "extras", in the end nine times out of ten you could have gone cheaper with a local firm but people only see the headline fees.

Rant over, sorry, but no local solicitors firm is going to mourn the loss of such a thorn in our sides.

It really is nothing personal, I work closely with a couple of very big firms that do do bulk conveyancing the right way, but they work mainly in commercial where they have to offer a service or their client companies would walk. They can be alot better and the girls in those firms are easier to deal with. They are just very overworked.

HOLA448
Six Ways to Make People Like You

"Become genuinely interested in other people."

"Smile."

"Remember that a man's name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language."

"Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves."

"Talk in the terms of the other man's interest."

"Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely."

Now unfortunately I read the above and think what a lot of total ********. If I could go along with all that twaddle I would probably have alot more business clients, but then again I would probably join the masons and become the sort of twit I hate so there you go.

What can I say, tact has never been my strong point!

I'd much rather go for a pint with you than one of the oily bastards who reads these books!

HOLA449

One of two big local firms let go six conveyancers recently.

And I know of one solicitor conveyancer who was on £50k, let go at the same time her long distance commuting hubbie was laid off by a London bank. They took their son out of private school and are heading for Canada - pending sale of the family home!

HOLA4410

yeah probably, however keep your friends close and your enemies closer. IMHO There is no point upsetting anyone in the real world its counter productive and how your perceived will travel far. Nod, ask questions, listen to what they say, give them the limelight, if there wrong stay quite people never changes there minds on what someone tells them, they need to discover it... and In six months time you can pop round to borrow some ladders, or they will offer to help you out in some other way.

HPCers (including myself) tend to be far too left brained/autistic and don't think about the other persons perspective enough. I guess the first rule of HPC should be not to talk about HPC, but I only learnt that with time...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4411

Ha ha ha, my mum lives in a gated community on the South Coast, they are in their own little world down there :huh: .

I have to leave my non-Daily Mail publications at the gate :rolleyes: .

HOLA4412
Ha ha ha, my mum lives in a gated community on the South Coast, they are in their own little world down there :huh: .

I have to leave my non-Daily Mail publications at the gate :rolleyes: .

Mmmm, she could live very close to me then. You are the exception to the rule if your road doesnt have a gate in my area.